Line problem

tonya

Reaction score
I want to add 100m of braid to my reel which, at the moment is filled with mono.
Is there an easy way to remove the required depth of mono to accomodate the braid or must I empy the reel and start again.
Hang on, that's the same problem.
Any Ideas?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If you have a spare spool put the braid on, attach the mono on the other spool to it and fill it to the brim. Take all the remaining mono off that spool then wind on from the other one and your braid will be on top.

tonya

Reaction score
That's a good idea Peter BUT I have no spare spool for my Daiwa Black Widow 4000 BR, Anybody got one for a line shuffle?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I thought you'd probably say that..

Plan b. Set up your rod and attach a lead to the mono. Cast it as far as you possibly can then pull off another ten yards or so off the spool. Cut the line and hand wind the line and lead in. Now attach your braid and wind it on...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought you'd probably say that..

Plan b. Set up your rod and attach a lead to the mono. Cast it as far as you possibly can then pull off another ten yards or so off the spool. Cut the line and hand wind the line and lead in. Now attach your braid and wind it on...

Good thinkin' batman!
If the braid is much thinner than the line it might be possible to remove a little less mono....if you get my meaning ;).

cassey

Reaction score
With reel on the rod, tie the mono to a stake, open bail and walk away until spool empty.
Tie and wind on braid on to empty spool. Tie mono to braid and wind on till spool full, cut off remaining mono and discard. You have a full spool but the wrong way round.
Tie mono to stake, bail arm open and walk away till spool is empty of the mono and braid. Go back to the stake and attach mono to the now empty spool and wind on and fill. Mono is now the backing with braid on top to exact level,,, and you’re a bit fitter.

tonya

Reaction score
I'm exhausted thinking about it.
I have 2 of the reels Mike but both are full.
I'll get the grandkids running around with it over xmas :p

rubio

Reaction score
Personally I would recommend underfilling the spool with braid, compared to mono. Reduces wind knots etc. Wetting down the braid first is also good. Some use silicon spray.

Richox12

Reaction score
As they're likely to be very different diameters it will need a little trial and error. Take off about 60m of the nylon by hand (it's a lot quicker than you thik - 1m per second would be slow so 60m is less than a minute) then wind on the braid and see how it is. If you have to adjust it then it's only another couple of minutes work