100 Different Rivers

bracket

Reaction score
Rob. Thanks for a terrific post. A delight to read. Having matched fished rivers for over 50 years I thought I'd done a few but nowhere near the number you covered. Pete.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Lovely that Rob,thanks for sharing your dream come true...

theartist

Reaction score
Rob-Fantastic Post ( article ), what an inspiration, and the challenge of so many different types of rivers.

Did you have a favourite method or river, or is that an impossible question to answer ?

Bob
My method of choice is always the float as that's my default setting although when the water is low I like to remove everything including the reel sometimes and just watch the bait or line move

My favourite river is always the next one

theartist

Reaction score
Here's a few more pics that I couldn't fit in on the main article

theartist-albums-my-gallery-2nd-attempt-picture4971-eardiston-2016-10-a.jpg

One of my favourite stretches and you can see why

theartist-albums-my-gallery-2nd-attempt-picture4972-river-ivel1-2-a.jpg

theartist-albums-my-gallery-2nd-attempt-picture4960-img-4640-a.jpg

Not a good place to fall in although I gave it a good go

theartist-albums-my-gallery-2nd-attempt-picture4965-b1.jpg

This bream took me by surprise on a tiny park river and it went like a barbel too

theartist-albums-my-gallery-2nd-attempt-picture4967-b3.jpg

It was always nice to share a new river with dad now and again

theartist-albums-my-gallery-2nd-attempt-picture4966-b2.jpg

theartist-albums-my-gallery-2nd-attempt-picture4946-img-4661-a.jpg

A contender for the smallest river, yes there was water down there somewhere and I found one fish

theartist-albums-my-gallery-2nd-attempt-picture4973-p1010880.jpg

Larger rivers meant moving with the tide

theartist-albums-my-gallery-2nd-attempt-picture4969-b5.jpg

You don't need a big fish for a nice photo although a willing companion with a camera helps

theartist-albums-my-gallery-2nd-attempt-picture4970-b6.jpg

At the end of the day it was about one thing - messing about on a river

Last edited:

Specihunter

Reaction score
Cracking read and lovely pic of Littlehampton. How did you get on fishing the arun

theartist

Reaction score
Cracking read and lovely pic of Littlehampton. How did you get on fishing the arun

Had mixed results really. Got a soft spot for the place as it's where I caught my first ever bass, thus avoiding a blank that day as I didn't have a clue what I was doing back then. As you can see it's a beast of a fish :D

theartist-albums-my-gallery-2nd-attempt-picture4974-untitled-01-a.jpg

no-one in particular

Reaction score
You could do a good book with all that Art, great pictures, as good as I have seen anywhere; better in fact really great pics and plenty of stories I imagine some of which you have shared which have obviously been enjoyed already. I would think it would compile into into an excellent tome and title; just a thought.

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
theartist-albums-my-gallery-2nd-attempt-picture4946-img-4661-a.jpg

A contender for the smallest river, yes there was water down there somewhere and I found one fish

As a matter of interest Rob - when does a run of water become a River? When it's named as such? :confused:
We have several 'Brooks' around here that are bigger (width/depth/volume) than the 'River' it joins into - are you tempted to count these as different Rivers?

A really good article - well done Rob!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
As a matter of interest Rob - when does a run of water become a River? When it's named as such? :confused:
We have several 'Brooks' around here that are bigger (width/depth/volume) than the 'River' it joins into - are you tempted to count these as different Rivers?

Some rivers look like that at their heads Greenie, two in Sussex are virtually invisible in the summer. One is about 2ft across yet 10 miles away its 30ft across and 15ft deep. You wouldn't believe they were the same rivers or even rivers at all.

theartist

Reaction score

I count all running waters as rivers as a generic term but have to admit to liking the variations such as brook, dyke or stream, there are many regional derivatives like Rhyne, Rife, Lode, Sewer and many more as i'm sure I've left out a few, if the water flows and has it's own source I see it as a river Some rivers have more than one source like the Bourne near Chertsey , the locals call the other Bourne the 'Addle' as it is a separate river I'm happy to count each as different rivers, although they are both called the River Bourne on the map, they start miles away from each other. They are also much smaller than many a brook or stream elsewhere in the country.Think it's just down to how they are named whether they are called stream, brook or river etc.

Round here there's loads of rivers that carry far more water yet are classed as tribs and they lose their name when their smaller cousin joins. I've spent many an hour pondering this and can only come up with the fact they are named in an age when the two rivers would probably have been very different, perhaps the smaller was much bigger before abstraction or it run through the major settlement so took precidence and/or was named first, they are two separate rivers though.

Rivers changing names halfway down are still the same river to me so only count as one but if a trib runs in and I'm fishing near the confluence then that's two different rivers if I have access to both courses, they both have different sources so are different rivers.

The naming of rivers within a river is a strange one too, the Thames for example has many cuts named as a different brook,stream or river but are just the Thames cutting through between locks, I've counted one as it's so different to the main river despite being only a few hundred yards long(first pic on the main post) but would be unsure whether to count the Jubilee river (a man made flood relief) despite it also being named. Would the Trent/Newark Dyke be different rivers?. Think the grey areas regarding names are why it's hard to find exactly how many rivers there are or whats the shortest, what's deemed as a river and so on. Best left to the individual.

Hope that's confused you even more :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
What a great article Rob, if you ever go for 200 rivers try the Dane, Ribble, Mersey, Weaver and Dee in the North West, all of which can be fished for free or by day ticket.

theartist

Reaction score
What a great article Rob, if you ever go for 200 rivers try the Dane, Ribble, Mersey, Weaver and Dee in the North West, all of which can be fished for free or by day ticket.

Thanks Mate, there's loads out there that I haven't done that i'd love to fish someday.

laguna

Reaction score
A fantastic read and a job bloody well done Rob.
Those pictures paint a thousand words and the words flow like the rivers fished... as would any accompanying illustrations for - a two part book series!
You've certainly got enough material for 'the first 50 rivers' and the 'next 50 rivers'!

I'd buy em :w

Another Dave

Reaction score
Round here there's loads of rivers that carry far more water yet are classed as tribs and they lose their name when their smaller cousin joins. I've spent many an hour pondering this and can only come up with the fact they are named in an age when the two rivers would probably have been very different, perhaps the smaller was much bigger before abstraction or it run through the major settlement so took precidence and/or was named first, they are two separate rivers though.

At some point it seems a standard rule was applied by mapmakers. When they traced a river upstream and got to a fork, it became the standard that the longer of the 2 tributaries got the name of the main river, the shorter of the 2 would get a different name, regardless of which carried more water and no doubt sometimes regardless of local tradition.