Plastics Again

thecrow

Reaction score
I have used plastic baits in the past all the usual stuff maggots hemp corn that sort of thing but although I have caught on them all I have never been really happy with either the look or the feel of the baits be it size colour or texture and even though some are supposed to be sinking baits I have had some that float.

I am looking for recommendations on manufacturers of artificial baits from others that have used them regularly, all the ones I have used before were from Enterprise.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
drennan maggots are the best ive found...very squishy and good colours

steviebearuk

Reaction score
Another vote for drennan maggots. You can also soak them in various liquids for added pulling power.

flightliner

Reaction score
Enterprise and Drennan for me too Graham, corn, maggots and casters all produced the goods for me.
Not had much success with plastic hemp but I,ve witnessed biggish carp taken on it from the Trent in wintertime.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Pretty much as Mick above although I've also had a lot of success with roach on fake hemp - and yes, the carp do love it too...............

PS also taken quite a few barbel on hair rigged fake hemp although it's some years since I used it last..

B

binka

even though some are supposed to be sinking baits I have had some that float.

I intend on using artificials more in certain situations and I've used Enterprise in the past which seemed ok.

I've just looked at the Drennan ones, they look good but I see that they only list a buoyant version, I'm wondering if it's a bit of an issue to produce a reliable sinking version?

thecrow

Reaction score
I intend on using artificials more in certain situations and I've used Enterprise in the past which seemed ok.

I've just looked at the Drennan ones, they look good but I see that they only list a buoyant version, I'm wondering if it's a bit of an issue to produce a reliable sinking version?

I have looked at them as well Steve and as you say they look good but the none sinking thing bothers me, I have caught using fake pellets that floated, I got round that by pinching a small shot onto the hair but I cant see me doing that with maggot under a float, I wonder what size hook would sink 1 or 2?

flightliner

Reaction score
I have looked at them as well Steve and as you say they look good but the none sinking thing bothers me, I have caught using fake pellets that floated, I got round that by pinching a small shot onto the hair but I cant see me doing that with maggot under a float, I wonder what size hook would sink 1 or 2?

Graham, to sink a plastic bait try putting a micro slit in it with a razor blade then push a micro shot into it.
A number 12 or smaller should give almost neutral buoyancy.
Similarly a red hot needle in the bum end of a maggot or caster with the shot pushed in should give a similar effect.

Philip

Reaction score
I guess I dont need to point out flight that I clicked the dislike button to the above by accident ....only just noticed when I got a system message saying I had disliked something...I guess I should thank it for informing me.

Mods/editor/owners/IT techs/anyone ! ....do I or anyone else need to point out yet again that the dislike button is in the most stupid position possible and is begging to be clicked ? :mad:

Lets all pray the same people are not responsible for the position of that nucular button Trump says he has on his desk..:eek:mg:

B

binka

Lets all pray the same people are not responsible for the position of that nucular button Trump says he has on his desk..:eek:mg:

Don't worry too much, as soon as his appointment was confirmed the CIA replaced the button with a Smarty and he hasn't noticed yet :D