Will perch take paste?

fishplate42

Reaction score
I am sure I don't know, but I will find out tomorrow. I was playing around making up some red groundbait to attract perch, however it turned out to be far too sticky to use as groundbait, but holds together well when formed into a lump. See HERE. It will even make fairly small lumps. I know this is not the time of year for feeding heavily and I only intend to feed very lightly and use the paste as a hook bait on my small tele-pole.

I will let you know if it works, or as I suspect, it doesn't!

I will be taking conventional perch tackle and bait as well so hopefully I will catch a few bigger ones this time. Last time out it was just all the little fellows that wanted to come out and play, but it was raining and I guess they did not want to get wet :D

Ralph

kenpm

Reaction score
Fish will sample most things they think might be edible but paste or bread would not be a primary choice like any live baits,worms maggots etc. They are partial to prawns in some waters though.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Perch will take almost anything at times. I doubt that I'd bother with groundbait when specifically targeting perch. However, I've caught enough perch over groundbait to suggest that it does no harm. It may be the case that other fish being attracted by it then attracts perch in. In a similar vein, I've caught perch on paste, but I'd not set out to catch them using it.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Perch will take almost anything at times. I doubt that I'd bother with groundbait when specifically targeting perch. However, I've caught enough perch over groundbait to suggest that it does no harm. It may be the case that other fish being attracted by it then attracts perch in. In a similar vein, I've caught perch on paste, but I'd not set out to catch them using it.

I don't think the perch are eating the groundbait as such. As you say I think if anything they have their eye on the small fish who are interested in it. I also think by adding samples of the hook-bait, I am adding a tasty scent to my swim.

My plan with my new groundbait was to add a visual cloud of red 'smoke' to attract the perch as they seem to be attracted to the colour red... I am still working on that one :rolleyes:

This is all just a bit of fun, an experiment to see what happens and how the perch react to it, if at all. I intend to fish in the conventional way for most of the day, using worm, maggot and I even have a few prawns to try, although I have not had much success with the latter.

Ralph.

Philip

Reaction score
Perch will take just about anything on the day, in fact I belive a former record Perch was caught on bread, although a bit that was being reeled in so probably mistook it for something else.

Paste or bread type baits wouldnt be my choice of bait however. For groundbait the defecto standard as such seems to be chopped worm which I suppose you could bind into something else for a groundbait.

I think some anglers have done ok with Tuna mixed into groundbait...Tuna/prawn in a groundbait mix with some worm I imagine would attract a few stripeys and even if it doesnt as others have said it should at least attract some prey fish for them to home in on.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
On most carp lakes they will happily take large lumps of spam.

Still find large prawn most effective though over red maggots.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Still find large prawn most effective though over red maggots.

One of the current (joint) records held at Stream Valley lakes in Sussex fell to exactly that method. I spent the best part of two seasons targeting a large perch, it's funny how on some waters they respond to prawn but on other venues they're not interested in prawn at all.

This last non lure caught perch was accidentally caught on sweet corn!

JfLIvFE.jpg

fishplate42

Reaction score
I did go fishing yesterday, but it did not go as I had planned. I started fishing for perch in a conventional way using worm but did not get a sniff from a perch. In fact, I could not get anything interested in taking any bait. No silvers on any of the bait I tried such as maggots, bread, worm and even prawn. So I did not get around to trying out my perch-paste. That will have to wait for another day.

All that aside, I did catch my first ever pike! See HERE.

Ralph.

mikench

Reaction score
Well done Ralph ; lovely fish! That's life all over; you go out for a loaf of bread and come back with a piano!:)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well done Ralph :w

How funny, I've been trying to persuade you to go pike fishing for ages but you always find a reason not too.Then you go and accidentally mug a pike, I hope it go the adrenalin going to such an extent you can't wait to go piking proper.

I didnt understand why if none of the baits were working why you didn't try this new paste you've concocted.:confused:

Richox12

Reaction score
I don't know about paste as it is not a bait I use on rivers. But I have caught decent bags of perch on sweetcorn and also small prawns.

To be honest though if I were targeting perch i'd use worms, worms and more worms. Lobs and Dendras although lobs always seem better

fishplate42

Reaction score
I didnt understand why if none of the baits were working why you didn't try this new paste you've concocted.:confused:

It is funny you should say that, I was wondering why I had not tried the paste while I was writing the blog. I had planned to find the fish and then see if they would also succumb to my new bait. As the fish never came, I went home - maybe the cold was getting to me, but you are right, I should have given it a go, you never know they may have all rushed in and taken it... :eek:mg:

I don't know about paste as it is not a bait I use on rivers. But I have caught decent bags of perch on sweetcorn and also small prawns.

To be honest though if I were targeting perch i'd use worms, worms and more worms. Lobs and Dendras although lobs always seem better

I agree, worms seem to be the number one go-to bait for perch, and I have discovered that is the way to catch them. I just wanted to try something different and see what happened. As it turned out, they were not interested in anything, not even my lobworms, on Saturday.

Ralph.