Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > >
Register Forums Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 13-01-2018, 09:58

markg has a spectacular aura aboutmarkg has a spectacular aura about
Default Legitimate scavenge or nicking?

A bit weird this, found this propped up on the end of the jetty, no one fishing and no line in the water. A few people on the beach nearby but no interest in this. I left it and went back an hour later and it was still there and still no one fishing on the jetty at all so I took it home. A bit beaten up but the rods OK, needs a bit of work and the reel works, might make it serviceable. Some one must have found it on the beach washed up and left it there or has some poor sod returned to find his rod gone.
Its now part of my huge pile of junk waiting to be attended to some of which has been there 10 years; ah well. I am just about the angling equivalent of Steptoe and Son!
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by markg; 13-01-2018 at 10:10.
Old 13-01-2018, 10:20

Philip is a jewel in the roughPhilip is a jewel in the roughPhilip is a jewel in the roughPhilip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Legitimate scavenge or nicking?

Well at the very least its better its gone to a keen angler than just a member of the general public.
Old 13-01-2018, 12:18

tigger is a splendid one to beholdtigger is a splendid one to beholdtigger is a splendid one to beholdtigger is a splendid one to beholdtigger is a splendid one to beholdtigger is a splendid one to beholdtigger is a splendid one to behold

Only way you could say it's not thievimg is if you handed it in to the police.
If it's not claimed by anyone after a certain period of time I think the police give it to you.
Old 13-01-2018, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger View Post
Only way you could say it's not thievimg is if you handed it in to the police.
If it's not claimed by anyone after a certain period of time I think the police give it to you.
Strictly speaking that's the right thing to do but this looked like it must have been in the water for some time which I guess someone must have picked up and thought they would leave it on the jetty for some angler (like me ) to pick up. It would be funny if when I do it up and go fishing with it on the jetty which I do in the summer, someone comes up and says "that's my rod". I wonder how it got in the water, big fish lugged it in maybe.
I find loads of stuff on the beach, I don,t think I have ever bought much sea fishing gear but never a rod and reel. Same with coarse fishing other than floats and bank sticks, plenty of them.

Last edited by markg; 13-01-2018 at 12:53.
Old 13-01-2018, 13:30

thecrow is a name known to allthecrow is a name known to allthecrow is a name known to allthecrow is a name known to allthecrow is a name known to allthecrow is a name known to all

Its a shame all the rubbish that gets washed up on our shores cant be returned to the owners, I would love to see the faces at a police station if someone turned up with 5 bags of plastic they had "found" on the beach
Likes The bad one, maggot_dangler, PH liked this post
Old 13-01-2018, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrow View Post
Its a shame all the rubbish that gets washed up on our shores cant be returned to the owners, I would love to see the faces at a police station if someone turned up with 5 bags of plastic they had "found" on the beach
And make them eat it!
Trouble is we are all guilty somewhere down the line I reckon Crow. The amount on the tide line is phenomenal, comes from all over the place, plastic cups thrown of ferries, thousands of them , plastic bottle lids is another one, I could pick up a few hundred in 100 yds, nylon nets all mangled up and washed in on storms is very common as well. Its all being slowly abraded by tide and stones and ending up in fish or sea life somewhere.
I would like the council to bull doze it all up once a month but then who's gonna pay for that.
The odd nice thing turns up, dead of course, a Pipe Fish:-
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by markg; 13-01-2018 at 15:39.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes thecrow liked this post