Does anyone else

C

Chris Bishop

My dog has now got so into going fishing he becomes unbearable from the night before if he sees me sorting the rods out, making traces etc.

The words fishy fishy send him hurtling around the house looking for his lead.

When he was small, I enjoyed having this timid little puppy with me. Other anglers would come and pet him and tell me what a lovely, well-behaved dog he was.

Now he's nearly two years old and a total nightmare. He jumps for baits when you're casting. Sometimes when he's bored, he'll pick a rod off the rests and try and run off with it.

If you're playing a fish, he'll jump in after it. He's even landed in the net just as I was about to pull a fish over it.

Last week, I put one back and he chased it down the margins straight past a bloke in the next swim.

"Ere, right, I just seen this pike go bow waving right under my rods and your dog was chasing after 'im..."

He takes an instant dislike to some other anglers and attacks them on sight.

One of my mates feeds him, so instead of sinking his teeth into him he kept going up and crapping by his rods today. Then he went and cocked his leg on his bait bucket.

He squared up to the bailiff, who said: "You don't want to go biting me boy, because you don't know what you're gonna get back..."

The dog mulled this over for a second or two, decided he had a point, turned round and bit me instead.

"Ha ha ha Bish me ole podna, that's the biggest bite you're gonna get all day," said m'learned friend, pissing himself laughing, as I clasped my hand to stem the bleeding.

I want to go out without him tomorrow, but he's seen me getting some stuff ready and he's already crashed out next to my rucksack.

Sometimes, when you go fishing, you hanker after peace and quiet.

If I can get up early enough, I might be able to sneak out of the house without waking him up.

C

Cakey

ha ha ha

mines the same

when I get down to the bank he sits there shaking until I catch and when I put them back he goesin after it swims around in circles then gets out sits down shaking again until the next one

if Im piking he go in and retrieves the pike float for me

I call him Buddy Orrible

C

Cakey

I took him to a small park lake a little while ago where he spent most of the time circling the lake keeping all the ducks in the water much to everyones amusement

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I take both mine from time to time. Bassett Hound called Charlie, Springer caller Arnold after the kids cartoon.

Arnold is 5 years old and has been going fishing with me since I got him.

I dont take them everytime, weekend sessions are the worst, I dont take them.

But the Springer sits at home and pines, he dont eat, just lays down looking sad the wife says. Charlie dont mind either way it seems.

Both dogs sit watching me getting my gear ready, they know where I am going.

Must say they both like to have a swim when we first get there, then they settle down for a while. When I do a one night session and they come along, I take an old bedchair for them to both sleep on, one tread each, works wonders.

ANDY SKI

Reaction score
I am glad I didn’t get to meet the dog/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

A dogs the best company you could have when you go fishing. You don't have to worry about anyone creeping up on you in the night. More trustworthy than anybody.I used to have a little Heeler. I don't know how she did it but she would sit between one certain anglers legs and watch them swing fish in all day. And never bothered with anglers who hardly caught anything.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
We had a little collie X corgi from the dogs home 6 months ago. He looks exactly like a corgi sized border collie. He had been taken away from people were he had been treated very badly.

The sad thing is they had him for 7 years even breaking his nose during that time.

The little chap is absolute love on legs and my shadow.

He loves to come fishing. I take him whenever I can and his behaviour is absolute spot on. I put one of these screw hooks into the floor and clip him up on a long lead basically for insurancebut he stays willingly anyway by my side. He,s great company.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
All i can say is you are all lucky sods. Up here in the north the clubs do not allow you on the bank with a dog. They usuallystate its imposed bythe farmers/owners. Yet when i ask they say they have no objection to a well behaved dog and if it does worry his stock he will cure it permanently. If you get my meaning.

This is the main reason that i do not have a dog as living on my own 8 hours at work then fishing would not be fair on the dog. Wish i could say others have the same view but the number of dogs i know that are lucky if they get a walk once a month never mind every day.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

My Heeler was with me 24 hours a day 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, fishing and at work.

The bonding we had is something that can't be put into words. Don't want to make anybody cry, but it is only when you know it is time to say goodbye that you realise this is the true cost of owning a dog and having it constantly by your side. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa./forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
As you say Brian. Theres loads of places around here also that I cant take him but when you see some dog owners its hardly surprising mate is it.

My last dogI could never have taken fishing with me.

After parting with him I always said I wouldnt have another but my wife nagged me and nagged into a trip down the dogs home.

After walking around for a good hour and seeing nothing suitable the kennel maid stopped us and asked me what we were looking for and I said I wanted a low maintainance, older, smaller dog that I could take fishing with me.Something ie that maybe had lost an old person as an owner and basically wanted a loving home for the rest of its days.

She asked had we seen Lucky and lead us to his cage. We had passed him already but he was out of sight asleep in the back. I sat on the steps when she brought him out and told us his history and he nuzzled me and climbed on my knee. From that point on I was in love and he wasnt going anywhere but home with us. Waiting for them to come and do the checks was a nightmare.

Anyway , "alls well that ends well" and fortunately he is welcome on my club waters and always comes with me on those sessions.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Agree mate to many people get a dog on a whim then realise that its going to be there for over 10 years. Thats a lot of walks in the rain and considerations needed when booking holidays etc.

Also why do people not train there dogs proprerly. They would complain like mad if there kids were acting in the same way. but a lot of that comes down to giving them enough excersise and physical stimulation.

Tommo!

Reaction score
My boy's an absolute pain in the arse on the bank.

My own fault really, as the first time I took him was to spod in some pre bait, it was a nice warm day and I thought it was hand having him retrieve the spod after reeling it half way.

Now he chases anything I cast out, float fishing is the worst. If I tether him he just pines. He makes a sound that is even more annoying than the bloke on the other side of the lake's alarms that are on full volume when he adjusts his bobbins.

He don't come no more.

blankety blank

Reaction score
Itook my labradoodle Frank lure fishing last weekend. Disaster. He thought he was being taught to retrieve.