Lost water?

steve2

Reaction score
Went out for a walk today to a place I haven’t walked before although I have lived in the area for over 40 years and it’s surprising what you can find. Walking through the woods and the signs said stay on path because of it being private woodland and grounds. Out of the corner of my eye I saw what appeared to be a small woodland pond, me being me I decide to climb over the barbwire fence and have a look. You wouldn’t see the pond in the summer because it would be so overgrown. What I had come across was a small-disused fishing pond. There were the remains of a couple of overgrown swims and trees had fallen into the water obviously it hadn’t been fished years. But the sort of place that with permission and a bit of work would be an ideal angling retreat and no more than 15minute drive from home.
I will have to sneak back in the summer to see if there are any signs of fish and then try to find out who owns it.

carlosd

Reaction score
Went out for a walk today to a place I haven’t walked before although I have lived in the area for over 40 years and it’s surprising what you can find. Walking through the woods and the signs said stay on path because of it being private woodland and grounds. Out of the corner of my eye I saw what appeared to be a small woodland pond, me being me I decide to climb over the barbwire fence and have a look. You wouldn’t see the pond in the summer because it would be so overgrown. What I had come across was a small-disused fishing pond. There were the remains of a couple of overgrown swims and trees had fallen into the water obviously it hadn’t been fished years. But the sort of place that with permission and a bit of work would be an ideal angling retreat and no more than 15minute drive from home.
I will have to sneak back in the summer to see if there are any signs of fish and then try to find out who owns it.

Interesting there is a pond near me in Derby that is part of Elvaston Castle Country which is part of a Nature Reserve and it's got some really big fish within it.

If the council had some sense and opened it for fishing they would make a fortune but it's down to the surrounding wild life that prohibites fishing.

nottskev

Reaction score
Interesting there is a pond near me in Derby that is part of Elvaston Castle Country which is part of a Nature Reserve and it's got some really big fish within it.

If the council had some sense and opened it for fishing they would make a fortune but it's down to the surrounding wild life that prohibites fishing.

Frustrating, I can imagine. But at least your council cooperates with a big Derby club to allow them to manage and develop the fishing on some lovely local park lakes. I travel over to fish your park lakes occasionally.

Down the road here in Nottingham, the council simply banned fishing on the beautiful Wollaton Park lake - 2 minutes from my house - and you can walk around and watch the fallen trees lying in the margins and see the encroaching vegetation.

carlosd

Reaction score
Frustrating, I can imagine. But at least your council cooperates with a big Derby club to allow them to manage and develop the fishing on some lovely local park lakes. I travel over to fish your park lakes occasionally.

Down the road here in Nottingham, the council simply banned fishing on the beautiful Wollaton Park lake - 2 minutes from my house - and you can walk around and watch the fallen trees lying in the margins and see the encroaching vegetation.

Yes the Earl of Harrington do a great job with the waters they have, if it was left to the council the stock levels would be on a decline and would certainly be over grown in most places.

There is so much money the council's could make from fishing venues so I don't see why they don't do the same in Nottingham where you are as it attracts a lot of attention and helps maintain waters and surrounding areas.

Carl

sam vimes

Reaction score
I know of loads of water, both flowing and stillwater, within ten miles or so of me that is not fished, or not fished legally. Some of it has been lost to angling having been fished previously. Much of it has never been fished and is never likely to be. There are some that I know are pretty good waters. A few are even more frustrating in that I know the landowners but they simply will not allow any angling.

carlosd

Reaction score
I know of loads of water, both flowing and stillwater, within ten miles or so of me that is not fished, or not fished legally. Some of it has been lost to angling having been fished previously. Much of it has never been fished and is never likely to be. There are some that I know are pretty good waters. A few are even more frustrating in that I know the landowners but they simply will not allow any angling.

It's such a shame, I reckon a few UK records could be beat if we was aloud to fish some of these remote locations if the authorities or land owners were allowing people to fish.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Much the same at Sywell owned by Northants County Council,have even put a platform in the centre so cormorants have somewhere to rest without being disturbed by dog walkers,not to mention fallen trees left in the water,reed beds choking out the banks but worst of all they still expect £8.00 per day from anglers yet no-one checks permits etc.When Nene & Wellingborough had the fishing rights the park rangers and club bailiffs checked permits and that your tackle complied with the rules.

carlosd

Reaction score
Much the same at Sywell owned by Northants County Council,have even put a platform in the centre so cormorants have somewhere to rest without being disturbed by dog walkers,not to mention fallen trees left in the water,reed beds choking out the banks but worst of all they still expect £8.00 per day from anglers yet no-one checks permits etc.When Nene & Wellingborough had the fishing rights the park rangers and club bailiffs checked permits and that your tackle complied with the rules.

Maybe a local club should manage these waters? A couple of work parties will sort out the surrounding areas. Or is it the council are greedy by charging people £8 knowing there not going to patrol the waters?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
as far as I am aware Liverpool Council still allow free fishing on their park lakes, all you need is a council permit for identification, same as a club licence in effect, they have always promoted free fishing on their lakes,

carlosd

Reaction score
as far as I am aware Liverpool Council still allow free fishing on their park lakes, all you need is a council permit for identification, same as a club licence in effect, they have always promoted free fishing on their lakes,

That sounds fair enough but do the waters and surrounding areas get looked after or do they sort of run themselves?

Wouldn't it be nice to hear these potentially great waters to be fished and not stricken by landowners and law?