Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Variables?

binka Guest

Default Variables?

Air pressure, water temperature, wind direction, angling pressure, blown baits?

It's no wonder we feel good when we catch a fish!

These are of course just a snip of my go to excuses for failing to put a fish in the net but when you think about it are fish really that sophisticated or are we just making excuses for not figuring them out?

Sure, we know a few basic principles but does that really constitute the answer?

I sure hope not as the elements of chance and mystique will surely be gone forever should we ever find one.

What say you?

Default Re: Variables?

I only blame myself most of the time! There are days when I'm probably not doing much wrong judging by the lack of success of my fellow hardy souls but that is rarely a consolation! As you say Steve if it was easy and there were just a few guaranteed baits/methods it would soon become boring!

As my wife frequently says when I tell her I blanked" it doesn't matter as you put them back anyway":rolleyes

Fish spooked by disturbance, sun too bright, swim was fished yesterday, fish hiding from predatory birds, water too clear, fish only feeding at night, pike in residence.... the list goes on!

I agree we've got plenty of good stories to cover our failures.

But they can sometimes be true, and much as we may know about fish and fishing, they are in the end in their own world, and why they do as they do is likely, to some extent, to remain unknowable to us. And a good thing, too, probably.

After a day - a fine day on a good river - failing to get a bite from a barbel, I wandered over to the nearest other barbel angler. This bloke was no mean fisherman - a member of a famous Trentmen team, in the day - and when I asked if he had any ideas why we'd neither of us had a bite, he said "I never found a wild creature that wasn't looking for something to eat, but these ones aren't, and it's anyone's guess why". Fair enough.

Blog Entries

I guess that the biggest variable has to be . . . . .

Are they 'aving it or not . . .

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    I guess that the biggest variable has to be . . . . .

Are they 'aving it or not . . .

They certainly are not hereabouts.

I use to catch a lot more fish when I was younger, but. I’d fish all night in winter on the river for Chub. Packing up just to catch a few hours sleep, before work

Nowday the sun has to shine, the rain stop, and the temperature be above 8 deg. No wonder I catch F.A.

We all know that air pressure affects fishing - but why?

Hydrostatic pressure is much more intense than air pressure due to water being considerably denser than air. So, if a fish changes its depth even a couple of feet up or down it will go through more of a pressure change in seconds than any of us will ever experience on dry land. How could the barometric pressure above the surface affect a fish that goes through equal to a surface pressure change if they move only a few inches up, or down in the water............
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Quote Originally Posted by barbelboi View Post
    We all know that air pressure affects fishing - but why?

Hydrostatic pressure is much more intense than air pressure due to water being considerably denser than air. So, if a fish changes its depth even a couple of feet up or down it will go through more of a pressure change in seconds than any of us will ever experience on dry land. How could the barometric pressure above the surface affect a fish that goes through equal to a surface pressure change if they move only a few inches up, or down in the water............
    Who knows, Jerry....but the damned fish do. Too often over the years have I been out in seemingly perfect conditions only to struggle because the fish know or sense something we cant. Back in the days when I virtually lived on the Kennet we used to look 2-3 days ahead weatherwise because if a change was coming you could virtually guarantee they knew and would switch off. Why this should be I havent a clue but it happened too often for it to be a co-incidence.

Settled weather offers the best option....be that hot,bright,cold or whatever though, of course, you then have to battle the temp,sun etc. Take today for instance......normally,wet,windy & mild is ideal Bury Hill zander weather except that a drop in temps is due later which could well mean they switch right off. TBH I am currently so lethargic that I cannot be ar$ed to find out. Its one of the few places I know where I can virtually tell exactly how its going to fish [ or not] based purely on the barometric pressure.....and this is a very shallow lake. Forecast for the next 2-3 days is around 1005 mb which is good...that just leaves the temps,brightness,moon phase,water clarity and M25 to think about !
    Last edited by S-Kippy; 24-01-2018 at 12:30.

The air pressure is so so important in my opinion.
    A sudden change especially upwards to 1200 or above has often led to abysmal fishing despite the river being exactly the same flow/colourwise than the day before.

I do believe the fish air bladder is more important than we realise.

I have also noted the increase in surface activity regards topping or rolling.

Over a period of a few days the need to feed must come into affect.

I have a barometer app on my phone. As Skips says....it's about perfect IMO now. Thats why I will be on a 13ft up Severn tomorrow for my madness.

To complicate matters further there is a big difference between cyprinids and other fish in the way they move oxygen in and out of the swim bladder.....................
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast