Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shock Stikk

Default Re: Shock Stikk

This thread just goes to show how badly and how far some “anglers” will go in order to drag fish out of the water. Reminds me of films we use to see about rod caught tuna. Just look on you tube and you will see what I mean.

Is there much difference between this and modern day match carp fishing
    Last edited by steve2; 23-01-2018 at 16:18.

I doubt I will use my dedicated carp rod ever again !

The problem with Drayton was that most of the pegs were on a wooden walkway so as soon as a Carp was hooked it would shoot under the boards into the snags and once they got in there they rarely came out,if you used a conventional pole there was a very good chance that you would break the pole hence the stepping up of tackle 10/15lb line straight through.

The modern "superstocked" fishery where 200 lb plus weights are normal are very much a fish race where the quickest will usually win which is not a million miles from catching 300 Bleak in an hour,the record is 515 hard to imagine.
    The difference is Carp are much larger and require a more heavy duty approach but match fishing is fishing against people as well as against fish and somebody will always come up with an edge that might win them a few matches until everybody else catches up.
    Classic example was the Winter League Final at Mallory Park when the original Method Feeder was first nationally revealed if you did not have that edge on the day you struggled to compete with those who did and the rest is history up to today when its the most common form of stillwater feeder fishing.
    Commercial fisheries have a lot to answer for but they have speeded up the evolution of of many method but if you do not like them there are plenty of other venues to visit.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

At Clattercote Res near Banbury they reckoned you could tell what make of pole it was by the sound it made when it broke from being snagged up by carp, Most if not all the major brands do margin poles, Maver do a cheap 9 metre one called the Abyss, you have to take the number one out to put decent elastic through it so it will run smoothly, daiwa do them from the lower price to £500, Shimano do the beastmaster, tricast do one, the list is endless but each has a following,and if used correctly balanced tackle will land more fish safely than going overgunned just because you have a margin pole.

If a moderate breaking strain hook link is used (and to get bites on heavily fished waters I would suggest it is a must) then does it matter what is above the hook link?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12