For the introduction of non-lethal means of control of the Otter

fishface1

Reaction score
When does a creature cease to be on the endangered list? is there a formula for working out how many animals per acre of land or per mile of river bank are needed in order that the animal is no longer considered endangered?
Unfortunately, it is not that straightforward. To give you an idea have a look here:

Lutra lutra (Common Otter, Eurasian Otter, European Otter, European River Otter, Old World Otter)

Have a sit down first though as it might make you quite cross! ;-)

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk

thecrow

Reaction score

fishface1

Reaction score
I think I will save that reading until tomorrow, I have enough trouble sleeping as it is :)
Good plan!

Interestingly I've just noticed there is a new petition about to do the rounds.... Asking for a licence to kill 3 otters on a licence... That could spark some debate....

thecrow

Reaction score
Good plan!

Interestingly I've just noticed there is a new petition about to do the rounds.... Asking for a licence to kill 3 otters on a licence... That could spark some debate....

Doubt that will be successful, I am more in favour of less dramatic methods, who has started the petition and where can it be found if you don't mind pointing me in the right direction.

thecrow

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it is not that straightforward. To give you an idea have a look here:

Lutra lutra (Common Otter, Eurasian Otter, European Otter, European River Otter, Old World Otter)

Have a sit down first though as it might make you quite cross! ;-)

I look at the ICUN red list sometimes and had looked at the Eurasian otter, this piece is interesting as it seems no one knows how many otter there are in this country and no studies have been done for a while.

The overall estimate of the population in United Kingdom was around 10,395 individuals in 2004

no-one in particular

Reaction score
When does a creature cease to be on the endangered list? is there a formula for working out how many animals per acre of land or per mile of river bank are needed in order that the animal is no longer considered endangered?

According to the EA latest survey which looked very thorough to me they stated that otters were at saturation point in some areas and will be at saturation point in all areas in the next 10 to 20 years.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
According to the EA latest survey which looked very thorough to me they stated that otters were at saturation point in some areas and will be at saturation point in all areas in the next 10 to 20 years.

There's little doubt that people are well beyond saturation point.......:eek:mg: