Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T. Guest

Sorry, missed the K after the £9(K) may be swimming in the river did have an affect.

Even Alverthorpe/Flanshaw beck would cost more than £9/year

Maybe, but no one would pay it John. Too expensive.

BOF [img]/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif[/img]

Tight Yorkshire b.................[img]/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif[/img]

You mean you Weary folk are not!A mere £9k per year for exclusive Salmon fishing rights, and you are not snapping the ladies hand off. [img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img]

Sorry this is way off topic, lets get it back to fishing the Calder.

I too have heard about Barbel coming out near the Chantry Bridge,near the town centre, and since its only a few miles from Pinderfields, maybe its as good a place to start as any.

Just don't expect big fish.

BOF [img]/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif[/img]

5. Default

I was talking to a pal of mine the other day and he told me he fished under the Chantry Bridge itself, taking five barbel all around 4-5lbs, he packed up when the East Europeans stood on the bridge watching him. These people do certainly night fish the Calder now, the same person told me he has watched them taking the bags of fish off the bank early morning.The fishing is free below the bridge, and was at one time exceptional. Large bags of roach can still be caught just above the weir, but there is only a couple of spots and a couple over the wall at the Sea Scouts car park. On the Wakefield ac water good chub are caught at the top end just below Bombardier Prorail footbridge (4lbs+) ledgering lobworm across to the far side willows.The floods have displaced the fish and there are large areas that are unfished, almost anywhere you can catch 20lbs of roach pleasuring. I have my own spot that i go to , it is not owned by anyone, i have only 10 yds to carry my tackle and regularly get 20lbs of mainly roach with dace ide perch thrown in . If you Email me grumpydog007@sky.com i will give you more detailled infoMICK

6. Default

Just reading some of the comments "The bad news is that the local clubs are not great on night fishing, being mainly run by matchanglers" The reason the clubs arent great on night fishing is the anti social behavior that occurs at night, and if night fishing is banned it takes anglers out of the equasion. Also the fish are in great quality, it doesnt take long for nature to come round from centuries of neglect, the water quality is perhaps too good a bit like the Trent, a little bit of pollution putting that bit of colour in that leads to great catches MICK

I wasn't joking about the wife's mothers garden.

Last September I had a look down the river at the end of the garden and saw the biggest shoal of roach I have ever seen, much bigger in numbers than used to be found on the Tweed in the 70's/early 80's, and they were huge. I'm not sure whether Wakefield A.C. have the opposite (Thornes) bank which usually has crops in the fields. It looked to be easy access with a short walk from the upstream Denby Dale Road bridge. or via Pugneys Country Park on the opposite bank

In all the years she has lived there, c 1964, I have never seen one angler fish there. Mind, in 1964 I doubt anywhere in that area of the Calder would have a single fish. Idid threaten to take a rod and tackle down some time but I would really struggle with the high bank from the garden.

From memory the river below Chantry Bridge would make good barbel territory although I don't know what the access is like since the demise of British Jeffrey Diamond engineering works.

The beck that runs from New Miller Dam to the Calder looks interesting, I'm told it too has chub these days. There is an easy accessible stretch at the back of the Pledwick Well Inn on the A61 Barnsley road. Looks like it would provide easy and interestingnight fishing, that's if you like small stream fishing.

Out of interest, my late father worked on restoring the Chantry Chapel just after WW11. It really saddens me to see it in such a rundown state these days.

Just remembered that my sister in-law is working on theconstructionat Pindersfield. Hard hat and riggers boots, so she says. Rosina Clarke if you come across her. She says that she runs the place but I recon she only makes the tea.

8. Default

Love small stream fishing John H; thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go. I'll keep a lookout for Rosina too; her name rings a bell.........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12