Advice Needed On Night Fishing The River Calder

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
I'm going to be working on the construction of the new Pinderfields Hospital for the next2 years so I've google earthed it and found that the River Calder is quite close by.

Family commitments prevent me from fishing at the weekends soI'll have to nightfish straight after work(club rules permitting).

Does anyone know of any stretches that I can fish thathold decentchub / barbel / perch?

Any local knowledge on the Calder would be much appreciated.........

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Which River Calder the one in God's own county of Lancashire or t'other one owned by yonder tykes ower th'ill

BOF39

Reaction score
The bad news is that the local clubs are not great on night fishing, being mainly run by match anglers.
But slightly better news is there are a small number of Barbel in the Calder from around Mirfield down to Wakefield, ditto Chub, but don't expect too many, nor for them to be great quality, as this is a river recovering from a century of heavy pollution.
The better news is that you have the opportunity to explore miles of river and have it all to yourself.

Good luck

BOF

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Have fished the top end of it but it's mainly trout and Grayling up there very good inexpensive game fishing with both fly and trotting permitted but given the previous history of the river and the horrendous levels of polution it used to suffer I would advise catch and release. It used to run a different colour every week with all the old dye and other industrial works that were on it's banks it is now a very much improved river.

The area Im talking about is Halifax and up stream I'm afraid I have never ventured as far into foreign parts as Wakefield may passport won't allow me any further!!!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

My wife spent many a unhappy day in Pinderfields hospital shortly after we were married.

Tony, If you take a chain saw to get through the 40 years of neglect at the bottom of the wife's mothers garden you'll be able to fish F.O.C. Just downstream of the Pugneys water park.

The Calder cant ever have been as bad as you describe Alan; I used to swim in it when much younger, and there aint much wrong with me, with me, with me/forum/smilies/sick_smiley.gifExcept that my grannies dog once attacked me thinking I was a dark skinned stranger.

Barbel coming from downstream of Horbury and Chantry bridges, so I'm told.

I'm not sure what the access is like these days but if you travel towards Stanley, take the right just opposite the golf course the Calder can be found not far from Pindrefields.

BOF39

Reaction score
"The Calder can't ever have been as bad as you describe Alan; I used to swim in it when much younger, and there aint much wrong with me, with me, with me /forum/smilies/sick_smiley.gif"

This from the man who creaks when he walks, (andI use the term "walk"loosely here, its more a cross between a lurch and a stagger). /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Seriously, up where Alan is fishing the number of dyeworks that used to flush their colour straight into the river did actually cause some wierd shades of river. But its possible that the stuff was diluted and mixed sufficiently by the time it got down to Wakey to take it down to a mere sludge colour.

BOF /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Oddly though the legacy of the destruction of those industries is an excellent fishery that can be enjoyed for very little money with the fish in superb condition which doesn't suffer from any form of angling snobbery as both fly and coarse angling methods are permitted.

There has been some gentrification of the area I believe that the old Standard Wireworks have been demolished to make way for new developments there was a wistful sadness in fishing surounded by the evidence of post industrial decay or am I an old misty eyed softy?

I really do recommend a trip up there but I still would not eat anything that came out of the river

J

It gets worse Phil, the 'new knee' now knocks and sounds like a very worn big end.

I'm afraid my stalking days are over, if indeed they ever existed. I do have a Wychwood stalking bag though, won in the CSG raffle 1999, still 'as new'

Just pray the salmon don't return in any numbers. Many years ago my father found some very old apprenticeship papers in an old building down by by river in Wakefield. They stated that the youngsters were not to be given salmon from the river more than, I think if I remeber correctly,three times/week.

The owner of just over 1 mile of the Wear is asking £9/year for her bit of water, and the river attracts very few salmon

BOF39

Reaction score
You may not do Alan, but there are a goodly number of folk that do eat the Trout that come from the area.

I agree that it is sad to see the old industries go, (but its our own fault for not buying British made goods when we could have), but on the other hand it has given us back some great fishing.

For those not "in the know" the riverCalder downstream of Sowerby Bridge, on through to Huddersfiled, is absolutely STUFFED full of quality Trout and Grayling. This is thanks to the demise ofour industrial base,to the extentthatthe amount of pollution going into the river is now minimal, and the fish have recolonised the length with a will.

J

Sorry, missed the K after the £9(K) may be swimming in the river did have an affect.

Even Alverthorpe/Flanshaw beck would cost more than £9/year

BOF39

Reaction score
Maybe, but no one would pay it John. Too expensive.

J

Tight Yorkshire b................./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

BOF39

Reaction score
You mean you Weary folk are not!A mere £9k per year for exclusive Salmon fishing rights, and you are not snapping the ladies hand off. /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Sorry this is way off topic, lets get it back to fishing the Calder.

I too have heard about Barbel coming out near the Chantry Bridge,near the town centre, and since its only a few miles from Pinderfields, maybe its as good a place to start as any.

Just don't expect big fish.

m chapman

Reaction score
I was talking to a pal of mine the other day and he told me he fished under the Chantry Bridge itself, taking five barbel all around 4-5lbs, he packed up when the East Europeans stood on the bridge watching him. These people do certainly night fish the Calder now, the same person told me he has watched them taking the bags of fish off the bank early morning.The fishing is free below the bridge, and was at one time exceptional. Large bags of roach can still be caught just above the weir, but there is only a couple of spots and a couple over the wall at the Sea Scouts car park. On the Wakefield ac water good chub are caught at the top end just below Bombardier Prorail footbridge (4lbs+) ledgering lobworm across to the far side willows.The floods have displaced the fish and there are large areas that are unfished, almost anywhere you can catch 20lbs of roach pleasuring. I have my own spot that i go to , it is not owned by anyone, i have only 10 yds to carry my tackle and regularly get 20lbs of mainly roach with dace ide perch thrown in . If you Email me grumpydog007@sky.com i will give you more detailled infoMICK

m chapman

Reaction score
Just reading some of the comments "The bad news is that the local clubs are not great on night fishing, being mainly run by matchanglers" The reason the clubs arent great on night fishing is the anti social behavior that occurs at night, and if night fishing is banned it takes anglers out of the equasion. Also the fish are in great quality, it doesnt take long for nature to come round from centuries of neglect, the water quality is perhaps too good a bit like the Trent, a little bit of pollution putting that bit of colour in that leads to great catches MICK

J

I wasn't joking about the wife's mothers garden.

Last September I had a look down the river at the end of the garden and saw the biggest shoal of roach I have ever seen, much bigger in numbers than used to be found on the Tweed in the 70's/early 80's, and they were huge. I'm not sure whether Wakefield A.C. have the opposite (Thornes) bank which usually has crops in the fields. It looked to be easy access with a short walk from the upstream Denby Dale Road bridge. or via Pugneys Country Park on the opposite bank

In all the years she has lived there, c 1964, I have never seen one angler fish there. Mind, in 1964 I doubt anywhere in that area of the Calder would have a single fish. Idid threaten to take a rod and tackle down some time but I would really struggle with the high bank from the garden.

From memory the river below Chantry Bridge would make good barbel territory although I don't know what the access is like since the demise of British Jeffrey Diamond engineering works.

The beck that runs from New Miller Dam to the Calder looks interesting, I'm told it too has chub these days. There is an easy accessible stretch at the back of the Pledwick Well Inn on the A61 Barnsley road. Looks like it would provide easy and interestingnight fishing, that's if you like small stream fishing.

Out of interest, my late father worked on restoring the Chantry Chapel just after WW11. It really saddens me to see it in such a rundown state these days.

Just remembered that my sister in-law is working on theconstructionat Pindersfield. Hard hat and riggers boots, so she says. Rosina Clarke if you come across her. She says that she runs the place but I recon she only makes the tea.

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Love small stream fishing John H; thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go. I'll keep a lookout for Rosina too; her name rings a bell.........