Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default

I'm going to be working on the construction of the new Pinderfields Hospital for the next2 years so I've google earthed it and found that the River Calder is quite close by.

Family commitments prevent me from fishing at the weekends soI'll have to nightfish straight after work(club rules permitting).

Does anyone know of any stretches that I can fish thathold decentchub / barbel / perch?

Any local knowledge on the Calder would be much appreciated.........

Which River Calder the one in God's own county of Lancashire or t'other one owned by yonder tykes ower th'ill

3. Default

Wakefield Alan; Yorkshire's finest!!

The bad news is that the local clubs are not great on night fishing, being mainly run by match anglers.
    But slightly better news is there are a small number of Barbel in the Calder from around Mirfield down to Wakefield, ditto Chub, but don't expect too many, nor for them to be great quality, as this is a river recovering from a century of heavy pollution.
    The better news is that you have the opportunity to explore miles of river and have it all to yourself.

Good luck

BOF

Have fished the top end of it but it's mainly trout and Grayling up there very good inexpensive game fishing with both fly and trotting permitted but given the previous history of the river and the horrendous levels of polution it used to suffer I would advise catch and release. It used to run a different colour every week with all the old dye and other industrial works that were on it's banks it is now a very much improved river.

The area Im talking about is Halifax and up stream I'm afraid I have never ventured as far into foreign parts as Wakefield may passport won't allow me any further!!![img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img]

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T. Guest

My wife spent many a unhappy day in Pinderfields hospital shortly after we were married.

Tony, If you take a chain saw to get through the 40 years of neglect at the bottom of the wife's mothers garden you'll be able to fish F.O.C. Just downstream of the Pugneys water park.

The Calder cant ever have been as bad as you describe Alan; I used to swim in it when much younger, and there aint much wrong with me, with me, with me[img]/forum/smilies/sick_smiley.gif[/img]Except that my grannies dog once attacked me thinking I was a dark skinned stranger.

Barbel coming from downstream of Horbury and Chantry bridges, so I'm told.

I'm not sure what the access is like these days but if you travel towards Stanley, take the right just opposite the golf course the Calder can be found not far from Pindrefields.

"The Calder can't ever have been as bad as you describe Alan; I used to swim in it when much younger, and there aint much wrong with me, with me, with me [img]/forum/smilies/sick_smiley.gif[/img]"

This from the man who creaks when he walks, (andI use the term "walk"loosely here, its more a cross between a lurch and a stagger). [img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img]

Seriously, up where Alan is fishing the number of dyeworks that used to flush their colour straight into the river did actually cause some wierd shades of river. But its possible that the stuff was diluted and mixed sufficiently by the time it got down to Wakey to take it down to a mere sludge colour.

BOF [img]/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif[/img]

Oddly though the legacy of the destruction of those industries is an excellent fishery that can be enjoyed for very little money with the fish in superb condition which doesn't suffer from any form of angling snobbery as both fly and coarse angling methods are permitted.

There has been some gentrification of the area I believe that the old Standard Wireworks have been demolished to make way for new developments there was a wistful sadness in fishing surounded by the evidence of post industrial decay or am I an old misty eyed softy?

I really do recommend a trip up there but I still would not eat anything that came out of the river

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T. Guest

It gets worse Phil, the 'new knee' now knocks and sounds like a very worn big end.

I'm afraid my stalking days are over, if indeed they ever existed. I do have a Wychwood stalking bag though, won in the CSG raffle 1999, still 'as new'

Just pray the salmon don't return in any numbers. Many years ago my father found some very old apprenticeship papers in an old building down by by river in Wakefield. They stated that the youngsters were not to be given salmon from the river more than, I think if I remeber correctly,three times/week.

The owner of just over 1 mile of the Wear is asking £9/year for her bit of water, and the river attracts very few salmon

You may not do Alan, but there are a goodly number of folk that do eat the Trout that come from the area.

I agree that it is sad to see the old industries go, (but its our own fault for not buying British made goods when we could have), but on the other hand it has given us back some great fishing.

For those not "in the know" the riverCalder downstream of Sowerby Bridge, on through to Huddersfiled, is absolutely STUFFED full of quality Trout and Grayling. This is thanks to the demise ofour industrial base,to the extentthatthe amount of pollution going into the river is now minimal, and the fish have recolonised the length with a will.

BOF [img]/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast