Mud and more mud.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
What has happened to those crisp frosty mornings of old?
Nowadays it seems to be nothing more than a constant trek through an endless sea of mud. Surely I'm not the only one to be heartily sick of it.

carlosd

Reaction score
What has happened to those crisp frosty mornings of old?
Nowadays it seems to be nothing more than a constant trek through an endless sea of mud. Surely I'm not the only one to be heartily sick of it.

I know exactly where your coming from, I think this winter certainly has not been as 'frosty' as some and certainly this storm's we have encountered has battered some ground which has left it nice and slushy.

I've noticed weather differences this winter when certainly cycling to and from work and walking my dog

mikench

Reaction score
We have had our fair share of rain. Yesterday my rescuer who has lived on the farm for all of his 49 or so years said he could not remember the fields and grassed areas around the lakes being as waterlogged!

Some of my favourite walks now need wellies. I hate mud and being anal I couldn't bear for my Hardy bag and case to get muddy so assembled my rod at the car!:) Sitting in 4 inches of mud and not catching is not my idea of fun!:rolleyes:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I have to admit Derek that one of my go to winter river sections is out of bounds because the fields that hold cattle (hate them!) are a good 6 inches deep in mud mixed with cow ***** at the three separate gates that need to be opened.

Just takes too long to clean the car after a visit...

At the moment my clothing in the boot is more mud than material.

steve2

Reaction score
Plenty of rain this winter but much cold weather, another lot of rain due today. In the lakes I fished the other day the weed as not died of this winter and is still growing. In the garden the plants that should be dead are in flower. So it looks like another very mild wet winter in these parts.

nottskev

Reaction score
Must depend on where you are. Not many frosts here, but generally colder than last year nonetheless. I had to wait til December to visit a marina that fishes well when the river is up - and then it was snow-melt more than rain. More snow, cold storms, colder winds and such jet-stream influenced stuff this year, too, we're told. Finished the day with numb fingers more often this winter, for sure. I'm not hankering after more frosty mornings. Some places that fished well through last winter have switched right off for us this year.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've found it quite tiring trekking through mud that seems to sap what little energy I have, boots caked in it, car too, not a lot of fun.

The urban stretch of the river through town which I'm just about to Head off too has its drawbacks but mud isn't one of them, Tarmac paths....bliss.:)

rayner

Reaction score
I know they're not every ones cup of tea but commercials are relatively mud free.
Last time I got mud on my feet was July 23rd 1999 at Harlsthorpe dam Clown.

john step

Reaction score
Mud. This has been the first winter where I often think about the wisdom of getting out.
I got stuck on a normally safe verge recently. The underside gets clumps of mud that drop on the drive. The inside needs ploughing.
Lets have a heatwave??

mikench

Reaction score
I hate mud and after yesterday's fiasco, even more so:rolleyes:: Just going to clean the carpet and metal pedals which remain caked in mud!:)

mikench

Reaction score
Alan if you knew me you would know how anal I am about my cars which are normally spotless ! :rolleyes: Mine is now!:rolleyes:

B

binka

Winter mud always gets me down.

Clothes and gear caked in the damned stuff and legs flying out at random angles and erratic intervals in ever challenging attempts to remain upright whilst trudging through it, laden with tackle.

Every year I vow to find a sheltered stillwater to overwinter on with nice, purpose built landing stages jutting out into the water and every year I somehow keep on returning to the river instead :)

nottskev

Reaction score
I know what you mean! The older I get, the more a clean flat bank appeals.
This is the first river swim I ever fished as a kid. I wish I had access to the likes now.

groves.jpg