One magic that never dims.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Be that the dip of the float, the tap on the rod tip or quiver, the dimple around the dry fly, or the pause on the travel of a lure. Nothing seems to get the heartbeat to quicken or the pulse to race more. No matter what your experience everything is crystalized in that split second. At least that's how it is for me.
Only when contact is made does the question arise is it a good 'un. This is the very essence of angling for me, and has sustained and kept me focused for over 60years.

seth49

Reaction score
Aye me too, the take is everything isn't it, knowing that you've fooled your intended target, and actually got a take from it, after that if it comes off, it doesn't really matter does it.

carpinbob

Reaction score
It's when the quiver tip starts to move that's what does it for me , magic.

thecrow

Reaction score
Of all the different types of bites that excite me its the line pulling out of a back biter by a predator that is the best for me, the slow trickle of line leaving the reel and the thought that at the other end of the line something is just sliding away with your bait, it is for me the most direct contact with a fish without actually hooking it.

barbelboi

Reaction score

That’s it for me too Derek and probably somethingyou could never describe to a ‘non-angler’. I do also enjoy the explosive takesfrom a fish ‘off the top’...

cattyfatty

Reaction score
For me its its the feedback from the tip thinking which quarry is on the end of the line from the first run you get is it a carp,tench,bream .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Have to agree, My favorite is when the float slides away positively and providing I don't go into maniac panic mode and cock it all up, a dreaded eel does not surface, it doesn't go ping and all end up in a tree, I slip over and fall on my A, or forgotten to make my landing net up - do de do de do.....the moment is a good one.

steve2

Reaction score
Much the same as others, the hit on a lure, the run on pike rod suddenly the day that was quiet changes.

john step

Reaction score
Derek, another thoughtful thread from you. Yes its the same for me. It is the split second the float or indicator whether a tip or dolly, and the rod is lifted and the feel of the resistance, all complete in that same split second.

There is sometimes a secondary "hit" when a bigger fish that the one expected gives that kick and surges off followed by the involuntary WHOW. Not as often as I would like however.:wh

mikench

Reaction score
All of the above and more besides!:wh

Sadly the besides are less frequent and well erm a bit like thinking it's a tench and then realising it's a bream!:redface::censored:

bracket

Reaction score
For me, and most others I suspect, it is the moment of anticipation following the first slight indication of possible action. So poetically described by a good Nottingham friend of mine as "Go on you jam strangling git. Gob it". Pete.

flightliner

Reaction score
Any float going under does it but I do get extra jittery when a float fished deadbait wakes up and decides to go for a swim. :fish2:

Philip

Reaction score
Quiver tip tug & trembles always get me jumping forward...that sort of fires me up even more than seeing a float start to bob.

Another favourite was seeing a washing up liquid bottle top start to slide upwards when I was a kid...something about ledgering always had you anticipating a bigger fish could be on the end.

Another I like is looking at a battery of rods at bite time and suddenly seeing one of the tips start to knock then the bobbin smacks against the butt, the baitrunner starts to spin and the alarm begins to scream.

Magic.