Any angling ambitions left?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I suppose this will apply to those with a few miles on the clock. There's no doubt some will say just to carry on fishing. That may be true, but I'm trying to look a little deeper.

Are their for example areas of angling that for one reason or another you have neglected or failed to do justice to, due to lack of interest or opportunity, be that species or method.

In my own case I regret not spending more time targeting Zander down in the Fens back in the day. Even though my initial attempts raised a few eyebrows, the constant three hundred mile round trips took their toll and we reluctantly drifted away. Ironic really when you consider that today Zed's are available on the River Trent just fifty miles from my doorstep. But today the banks would defeat my attempts to do them justice.

lutra

Reaction score
No new fish or types of fishing but, works has just told me I will be in South Wales all summer. I think along with sea trout fishing I may have to try my hand for a Welsh salmon to make a full UK house of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales salmon. May even have a look at trotting on the Wye as well.

Also my annual holiday afloat looks to have got the nod for the Trent this year. So plenty new water to play with.

mikench

Reaction score
I have a good few miles on the clock but not in fishing terms and so I have more ambitions which remain unfulfilled than fulfilled! There are fish I have yet to catch, venues I have yet to get to grips with and techniques I have yet to master! I will not live long enough to fulfill them all but will enjoy the pursuit!

John Keane

Reaction score
Just got to finally get a salmon on the fly. I’ve tried, and failed, and had packed in fly fishing but last year I took it up again with a week on the Spey in May. Low water and bright conditions defeated me, but the river had fish in it, they just weren’t interested. Back again at the end of May this year and, hopefully the Cairngorms will have had snow this winter, and conditions will be good.

There’s an awful lot of finger-crossing goes on in salmon fishing!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Two really that come to mind off the cuff, catching a salmon same as John, I have tried on a couple of occasions but failed. And shark fishing of a boat somewhere like Devon or Cornwall, wouldn't mind having a go one day. Two ambitions that are bit beyond ordinary fishing which is why not achieved so far and I would guess that's the case for a lot of us.

mikench

Reaction score
There’s an awful lot of finger-crossing goes on in salmon fishing!

... and there isn't in fishing for tench or perch or roach!:eek: I have crossed fingers most of the time which may be why I miss so many bites ! I wish you luck!:thumbs::badcast:

peterjg

Reaction score
A few ambitions:

To continue fishing as long as possible.

To see both my grandsons become keen anglers.

To catch a 3lb roach (at least it's nice to dream).

To catch a 6lb chub. Last Friday I equalled my pb of 5lbs 13ozs.

To catch a 10lb tench.

thecrow

Reaction score
To sometime overcome the bogie that Zander are for me, I have only ever caught one double and that was a fluke while Pike fishing, I just don't seem to be able to get to grips with them.

floatfish

Reaction score
Another one with many years fishing on the clock, just wishing to keep fit enough and well enough
to keep going fishing . Buy the year books each January and use them as much as possible
during each year.!

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
At sixty eight, the main thing is keeping fishing, and being fit enough to carry on, I’m still after a twenty pound carp, sure I’ve hooked a few, just haven’t landed one yet.
A two pound roach, a six pound chub,and a barbel over twelve, would be nice too, but I’m happy to keep fishing and enjoying it,

Nurse said I’m only a young man yet, hope she’s right, I’ll take the twenty years she said I’m good for yet.

john step

Reaction score
I have never completed a single fishing ambition, perhaps because I don't set the bar too high. Just enjoy and not get obsessive. I always seem to not quite get the maximum result weight or quantity wise. Afterwards I always go over what I could have done better...next time maybe.

I struggled in my youth often casting an envious eye on those others who had guidance from a senior family member. Its all been practise and slow learning.

However I can catch the occasional fish and enjoy life immensely and my ambition would be to do as well and catch what is in my particular venue. If big tench are as rare as hens teeth hereabouts I know I won't catch one.

I agree with you about Trent zander. I am about 30 miles away but an eye has to be kept on river levels, wind, day of the week etc so actual opportunities are not as frequent as I would like.
After a bad fall on the rocks on the Tidal Trent last year I often whimp out in adverse conditions as I lay there stunned and injured for quite a while. There was no one within sight or sound.

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
All my fishing ambitions were set a long time ago. In 1969 I wanted a fish over 6", then 12" then a 2lb roach. In 1973 I wanted to one day fish a National by 1983. All achieved long ago though the 2lb roach and National were the same year, 1977. Some targets people have nowadays were impossible in my youth so I pay no attention to them. Yet to see a zander!

flightliner

Reaction score
If it's fish specific then only two to go, a double Tench and zander. I almost acheived the Tench a few years ago , the zed I put down in part to a lack of determined effort but hopefully it will come eventually.
Fish related then maybe not many now, I used to hope against hope that my local rivers would sustain fish life instead of so much toxicity but with the collapse of traditional heavy industry rivers like the Don, Dearne, Rother etx are now recovering beyond all expectation , something that I never thought would happen in my lifetime.
Maybe tho, and this is pure fantasy---------

A nice house overlooking the river Trent.:help:

thecrow

Reaction score
My first angling ambition at the age 0f 7 was to catch a fish............... it took me a whole 12 months or more to catch one. I had no one in the family that fished and could help, I tried everything that friends were doing to no avail but I still remember the swim I caught my first fish from, like a lot of youngsters first fish it was a small Perch but it led to a lifetime of angling.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
My first angling ambition at the age 0f 7 was to catch a fish............... it took me a whole 12 months or more to catch one. I had no one in the family that fished and could help, I tried everything that friends were doing to no avail but I still remember the swim I caught my first fish from, like a lot of youngsters first fish it was a small Perch but it led to a lifetime of angling.
Why is it always a small perch !? Was mine as well ! But most I caught was bleak!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
No real burning ambitions because im not and never have been that driven by my fishing. A salmon on a fly would be nice...Ive had them on bait, spinners and from stillwaters but never on a proper fly on a proper rod from a proper river. I was very,very close once but the damned thing charged out of its lie and missed the fly. Quite exciting none the less.

Not going to happen now methinks but such is the way of things.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I suppose I had ambitions when I was younger, my memory is not as good as it was so remembering is difficult.
All I have now is to get on the bank as often as I can, I fear having to stop may not be too far away.

mikench

Reaction score
Be mean and curmudgeonly Rayner and don't give in! Keep on going just get someone to help! Imagine that every time you didn't go cost a quid! Intolerable to a Yorkshireman !

I wish you well come what may!:thumbs::fish2::triumphant:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Just to go, enjoy it and catch as well as I can. As ever, more or bigger fish will do, but I'll not lose any sleep if it doesn't happen.