Greenpeace plastics supermarket petition.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am not a great fan of Greenpeace however, they do have 215,000 signatures so far and the pressures building up for supermarkets to do more. I hope its not too political for the forum, if it is delete it by all means but the plastic problem will still build up despite recent efforts and it is affecting freshwater fish as well as sea fish so, you might want to add your signature, entirely up to you; thank you.

secure.greenpeace.org.uk | plastic-free-supermarkets.

cassey

Reaction score
I did and the rest of the family also.

mikench

Reaction score
A worthy cause nevertheless! The amount of packaging is ridiculous ! I noticed in France recently that the bags in the supermarkets were biodegradable almost like Pva. I brought some back to give to the manager of my local Sainsbury's and I await a response!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think this will happen more and more Mike, the public putting pressures on supermarkets. As manufacturers vie for their shelf space they will be giving it more to those that do something about their packaging as they wake up and realize this is what the public want so; campaigns, petitions, government awareness etc should help.
The downside it may cost us all more but hopefully not that much. I think this and the next generation will realize it cannot just be left, I don't think it will become just a latest phase.

PS- I seem to have started this thread twice by mistake, sorry about that.

thecrow

Reaction score
Saw something on BBC this morning called a "sea bin" it captures plastics even micro ones, its only small at the moment but it works so maybe powers that be should also be looking at things like that.

rayner

Reaction score
I think this will happen more and more Mike, the public putting pressures on supermarkets. As manufacturers vie for their shelf space they will be giving it more to those that do something about their packaging as they wake up and realize this is what the public want so; campaigns, petitions, government awareness etc should help.
The downside it may cost us all more but hopefully not that much. I think this and the next generation will realize it cannot just be left, I don't think it will become just a latest phase.

PS- I seem to have started this thread twice by mistake, sorry about that.

The cost is irrelevant to my thinking.
The Worlds population on the whole have caused the problem.
It's our mess, we should clean it up. What ever the cost.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I agree Rayner-I don't mind myself one way or the other; personally I think they should swallow the extra costs but I doubt they will.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Saw something on BBC this morning called a "sea bin" it captures plastics even micro ones, its only small at the moment but it works so maybe powers that be should also be looking at things like that.

I did find something on this, a couple of Australians invented it for marinas and harbours but it may instigate bigger projects/research/development; the race is on to solve this problem.

theartist

Reaction score
There is too much packaging but far too many morons who'll willingly enter it back into the environment

My local bit of river now has a 'plastic line' on the far bank, you can tell if the water has dropped by the level of bottles, cans and bags. I see it as a monument to the stupidity of simpletons who think throwing their rubbish in a river is acceptable. You wonder how these people tie their shoelaces. Anyone caught throwing litter should get community service cleaning up the hole area.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
There is too much packaging but far too many morons who'll willingly enter it back into the environment

My local bit of river now has a 'plastic line' on the far bank, you can tell if the water has dropped by the level of bottles, cans and bags. I see it as a monument to the stupidity of simpletons who think throwing their rubbish in a river is acceptable. You wonder how these people tie their shoelaces. Anyone caught throwing litter should get community service cleaning up the hole area.
I am a bit anal sometimes but I counted the bits of plastic I could see just walking up the hill to home, about 300 yards, discarding all other litter, just my side of the pavement and just the plastic and I got to about 50. Wrapping, about 10 bottles, all sorts. Some shoved down between the wall and a fence on the side, the rest just in the gutter or pavement. I probably need a life but there you go. Sometime I might take a picture of my tideline on the beach, thats ten times worse! No one sweeps the roads anymore, just gets left. We certainly have a problem.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
As approximately 90% of all the plastic in the sea is attributed to just 10 rivers, possibly that is where the big finger should be pointing......Whatever we can do in this country is a welcome step forward but just it's a drop in the ocean.......

LINK

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
After reading that link it seems to me that stopping plastic getting into the sea is an impossible task and will be for many years to come :(

barbelboi

Reaction score
Another way of looking at the problem Graham is that the whole of Europe contributes just 0.28 of the problem. (Asia 86% - Africa 7.8% - S America 4.8% - Central and N America 0.95% - Australia/surrounding 0.02%)....

no-one in particular

Reaction score
As approximately 90% of all the plastic in the sea is attributed to just 10 rivers, possibly that is where the big finger should be pointing......Whatever we can do in this country is a welcome step forward but just it's a drop in the ocean.......

LINK

Just read that link which is probably true on a world basis, a lot is marine orientated as well though, I find that on my local beach but I am on a busy shipping line and commercial fishing area. I have worked on ferries and people just throw plastic cups over board all the time, thousands of them in a whole year; they must end up all over the place and that's just one ferry, must add up to millions across the world. And now it must be millions of plastic bottles as well thrown overboard which seem to collect alongside the plastic cups on my beach. Maybe this will reduce as the more the message gets across the less they will do this sort of thing hopefully.

It is a world wide and all fronts problem and it is getting a lot of publicity lately so I think a lot will be done about it going forward and any petitions can be a part of that, keeps the pressure going in; I hope the pressure doesn't just fade away for a long time yet.

Last edited:

Teabreak

Reaction score
I signed up and support this effort. Can't remember what info I gave but now I'm getting unsolicited phone calls from them. It maybe coincidence but I believe that somehow they've linked me to this campaign and now I feel like I'm a target of recruitment for their activities. I maybe a sympathiser for this particular problem but that's about it.

Am I being paranoid? And has anyone else received a phone call