England/Wales border

baldylux

Reaction score
I live near Caerleon in South East Wales. So i'm pretty spoilt for choice with where to fish. I mainly enjoy waggler fishing or on the pole on stillwaters.

For 2018 i'm trying to work out which club ticket to buy? Forest of dean waters seem to be about an hours drive from me. And Glamorgan anglers waters are an average of 45 mins drive.

What do you guys think?

I'll always get a ticket for Newcity anglers which gives me Lliswerry for the tench. Theres a few other tickets very close to home but they dont really fill me with confidence.
Another temptation at 30 mins drive is over at Festival angling at Ebbw vale.

I could go on listing lots of other ideas but it would seem like showing off with all of the options available to me! Lol

theartist

Reaction score
The answer is simple - Join both! Had a quick gander and the prices it looks like you would pay for both put together, and it's cheaper than joining one club in areas such as round here. Fill your boots, you'll be spoilt for choice and you'll be paying less per annum than joining a gym for example.

baldylux

Reaction score
I like your thinking mate :cool:
That might just make it even harder to decide which water to try once i have the time tho. Maybe its going to come down to the toss of a coin???

One little extra persuasion of the glamorgan ticket is the river usk stretch that is only 15 mins away. I've never had a bash at river fishing but from a bit of google searching, theres chub and barbel in that stretch

magicone

Reaction score
Hi Mate,

There are quite a few waters within 30mins from where you are, Mathern Fisheries Nr Chepstow - silvers and carp, Lower Pen y Clawdd Farm Nr Raglan - silvers, barbel, tench and carp, Redhill Nr Monmouth - silvers, tench and carp. Two or more pools to choose from and All day tickets £6.00 - £8.00 at the venues

sagalout

Reaction score
For £35 for a year the Forest of Dean has a couple of nice waters that are well stocked with all the usual suspects.

baldylux

Reaction score
Hi Mate,

There are quite a few waters within 30mins from where you are, Mathern Fisheries Nr Chepstow - silvers and carp, Lower Pen y Clawdd Farm Nr Raglan - silvers, barbel, tench and carp, Redhill Nr Monmouth - silvers, tench and carp. Two or more pools to choose from and All day tickets £6.00 - £8.00 at the venues

Cheers buddy. How do you get on at lower pen y clawdd? Ever catch any tench there? Its only 20 mins away and one of my closest waters with a guarantee catch whatever the weather!! I was there 2 days before xmas. Only one there and had about 60lb of small carp before feeling satisfied and heading home

baldylux

Reaction score
For £35 for a year the Forest of Dean has a couple of nice waters that are well stocked with all the usual suspects.

The forest waters give me a feeling that they would be quieter and more relaxing than a lot of places. Especially day ticket pools where after an early start and building up a swim to become productive, some noisy numpty turns up and starts bombarding the water with ott tactics for -10lb carp, and usually just 6ft from your swim even when lots of other free and good looking pegs!! Lol

magicone

Reaction score
Cheers buddy. How do you get on at lower pen y clawdd? Ever catch any tench there? Its only 20 mins away and one of my closest waters with a guarantee catch whatever the weather!! I was there 2 days before xmas. Only one there and had about 60lb of small carp before feeling satisfied and heading home

Been a few times on the pond by the pear orchard did reasonably well, next time I think I'll try the canal. The owners tell me the top pond have heavy carp well in double figures. The only problem there like Mathern, is traffic noise. But I can turn off and not hear it. ha ha

baldylux

Reaction score
Been a few times on the pond by the pear orchard did reasonably well, next time I think I'll try the canal. The owners tell me the top pond have heavy carp well in double figures. The only problem there like Mathern, is traffic noise. But I can turn off and not hear it. ha ha

The canal is where i have fished every time mate. Its rammed with fish. In this cold it has taken until about midday to get the bites started. And then you just quit once you have had enough. I usually use sweetcorn. Double on the hook and a few grains baited every few minutes.
I walked around the top pond on a very hot day and only saw fish up to about 10lb on the surface and the water was gin clear