Other broken tips...

mikench

Reaction score
That made me laugh Steve! Banging a rod on a garden table is the kind of thing I would do! :)

nottskev

Reaction score
I said only one breakage earlier. But if you count quiver tips, I'd have to ask for a number of Sigma Wand offences to be taken into consideration.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Ive had a few tips go on me but over the years but only one when "in play" ...a Drennan oddly enough. All the others have been discovered on removing the rod from its bag so I must assume that is in some way down to me. 2 other Drennans, a Shakespeare pw, aGreys fly rod and a Harrison which rather surprised me. I got a new tip made for the Harrison and saved those of the others that I cared about as the breaks cost me only an inch or two. Lucky.

The only other rod that went on me was an early Normark that id bashed against a canal bridge a week earlier so down to me again.

So thats 3 Drennans so far and I kind of think the 4th is only a matter of time,sadly.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ive had a few tips go on me but over the years but only one when "in play" ...a Drennan oddly enough. All the others have been discovered on removing the rod from its bag so I must assume that is in some way down to me. 2 other Drennans, a Shakespeare pw, aGreys fly rod and a Harrison which rather surprised me. I got a new tip made for the Harrison and saved those of the others that I cared about as the breaks cost me only an inch or two. Lucky.

The only other rod that went on me was an early Normark that id bashed against a canal bridge a week earlier so down to me again.

So thats 3 Drennans so far and I kind of think the 4th is only a matter of time,sadly.

Did you say somewhere that you'd broke your drennan im8 specimen float rod ?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Did you say somewhere that you'd broke your drennan im8 specimen float rod ?

I did indeed. That was the Drennan that went "in play" when i got the line and tip tangled in an alder. I was somewhat disgruntled when the tip snapped on the first jerk. I was double dischuffed as its a great rod.

Happy ending though. Found one for sale within a week and though the bloke lived in the Midlands he had to visit that there London so we met in a layby on the A40 to do the business.

So I now own 1 and 2/3rds Drennan IM8 Specimen rods.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I did indeed. That was the Drennan that went "in play" when i got the line and tip tangled in an alder. I was somewhat disgruntled when the tip snapped on the first jerk. I was double dischuffed as its a great rod.

Happy ending though. Found one for sale within a week and though the bloke lived in the Midlands he had to visit that there London so we met in a layby on the A40 to do the business.

So I now own 1 and 2/3rds Drennan IM8 Specimen rods.

Oh reet, so there was nothing wrong with the rod really. I wondered if it had just bent over and cracked off.
I had two of them, one brand new one and one that I used a lot. I sold the used one but as we often do when we let things go I really regret doing it. The im8 specimen float rod is up there with my all time favourite float rods, I really like 'em. They always feel bomb proof to me and I love the treble leg guides, that's why I was curious how yours had broken. At least you got sorted and now have spare bits:).
I remember you mentioning your big friend had broken his hardy float rod, how'd that happen?

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Found one for sale within a week and though the bloke lived in the Midlands he had to visit that there London so we met in a layby on the A40 to do the business.

did he charge you extra for that?

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's reasonably obvious to me that some folks have drastically different ideas of what constitutes as "in normal use" or as a genuine flaw with a rod. How people can blame some of these breakages on anything but themselves is quite beyond me.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Oh reet, so there was nothing wrong with the rod really. I wondered if it had just bent over and cracked off.
I had two of them, one brand new one and one that I used a lot. I sold the used one but as we often do when we let things go I really regret doing it. The im8 specimen float rod is up there with my all time favourite float rods, I really like 'em. They always feel bomb proof to me and I love the treble leg guides, that's why I was curious how yours had broken. At least you got sorted and now have spare bits:).
I remember you mentioning your big friend had broken his hardy float rod, how'd that happen?

Not sure id necessarily agree. Who of us has not snagged a rod tip at some point in a tree,bush,rushes, weeds etc and jerked it free. Ive done it countless times but only once did it result in a broken tip. This was the beginning of my doubts about the quality of some of Drennans rods.

Phil's Hardy was one of those fine when I put it away but next time out of the bag and the tips broken. Ive had 4 like that now so it must be something to do with me but im damned if i know what. Intensely annoying either way especially if its an expensive favourite which is no longer available.....thats why i was so pleased to find another IM8 so quickly.

Maybe i should start using tubes to transport my rods again but they are such bulky bloody things and fill the holdall up. I still cant think why the tips are going when all im doing is putting my rods in thd car and taking them out again at home.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
It's reasonably obvious to me that some folks have drastically different ideas of what constitutes as "in normal use" or as a genuine flaw with a rod. How people can blame some of these breakages on anything but themselves is quite beyond me.

Well,yes...but i dont expect to have to treat any rod like its made of glass ffs. The very nature of the thing means its going to be under stress and flexing so its not unreasonable to expect it to be robust enough to withstand that comfortably. Too many of these Acolytes in particular have gone belly up for it all to be down to the cackhandedness of the owner.

I know you are not a Shakespeare fan, Chris but ive several and the only one ive ever broken was when i shut a car door on it. Im not in the least concerned about any of my Sammys breaking but every time i use a Drennan rod I'm wondering if it will last the session.

If they did not produce such good ( by which i mean action etc) rods i wouldnt touch current Drennan rods with a bargepole...irrespective of how light or reasonably priced they might be.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Well,yes...but i dont expect to have to treat any rod like its made of glass ffs. The very nature of the thing means its going to be under stress and flexing so its not unreasonable to expect it to be robust enough to withstand that comfortably. Too many of these Acolytes in particular have gone belly up for it all to be down to the cackhandedness of the owner.

I know you are not a Shakespeare fan, Chris but ive several and the only one ive ever broken was when i shut a car door on it. Im not in the least concerned about any of my Sammys breaking but every time i use a Drennan rod I'm wondering if it will last the session.

If they did not produce such good ( by which i mean action etc) rods i wouldnt touch current Drennan rods with a bargepole...irrespective of how light or reasonably priced they might be.

I've no issue whatsoever with what you like or choose to use. I tend to agree that many rods are more robust than Drennan Acolytes (especially the Ultras). However, I value the light weight and actions. I fully accept that they won't take the abuse that some other rods might. I'd much rather use a good rod, that might not take unreasonable levels of stick, than an inferior one that will withstand anything thrown at it. The fact that I'm yet to manage to break an Acolyte means that I'm not remotely wary of them. I've used each of those I own far too many times for the ones I own to have a genuine flawed blank. Flaws show up within the first few uses or they aren't present. If one breaks at some point in the future, the blame will lie firmly with me.

My dislike of Shakespeare has nothing whatsoever to do with any of their modern offerings, or of their old top end offerings. It's simply a matter of having to endure their budget rubbish as a kid. The only thing that I can say for them, as unutterably rubbish as they were, was that I could probably have used them for pole vaulting (at least as a skinny bairn) without any issue. Bloody awful fishing rods, that have unfairly coloured my perception of the brand ever since.

mikench

Reaction score
The same (perception) can be said for all brands at some stage in their evolution : Apple, Samsung, BMW,Triumph, to name but four! I have no problems with Drennen nor with Shakespeare and the latter rods ( those I possess) are remarkable value for money and dare I say it, delightful to use!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Depends what you mean by abuse. I dont think a rod that suddenly snaps when all you are doing is landing a fish or casting as being abused. It shouldnt do that...ever....and if the reason it does is because the blank is so deliberately thin walled in order for it to be marketed as super light then i dont think it is truly "fit for purpose".

sam vimes

Reaction score
Depends what you mean by abuse. I dont think a rod that suddenly snaps when all you are doing is landing a fish or casting as being abused. It shouldnt do that...ever....and if the reason it does is because the blank is so deliberately thin walled in order for it to be marketed as super light then i dont think it is truly "fit for purpose".

I don't disagree, but it appears that some anglers believe that stotting rods off trees, the ground, rocks etc is normal use. I'd agree that casting an appropriately sized float should not be an issue. However, chucking overly heavy floats, or expecting a rod to withstand chucking sensibly sized floats with a wrap around, constitutes abuse. Even if the rod survives the initial incident, it's likely to be fatally weakened and break at some point in the future. Pulling for a break with the rod under compression is also an abuse. When a rod breaks under these kind of circumstances, it's not because there is a flaw in the blank.

xenon

Reaction score
my only significant gip was with a 17ft MAP float rod, about 20 years ago. First outing, ran the line through the rings and was pulling the line taught to check it was free of the tip ring, and that i had not missed out any rings, when the last 12 inches snapped off. Oh dear, I said (or something like it) Replacement by return of post without quibble. Next outing, the exact same thing happened. First and last MAP product of any sort. (I could also ask for various sigma wand tip offences to be taken into consideration, but they really are delicate-you only have to look at them funny to cause a break)