Close season fishing

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
There are a few brick ponds close by and I did see carp feeding on the surface of at least one of them last summer so it maybe worth a go, especially on a nice day. I don't own a spinning rod (yet) but what are these £30 rods you mention?

Hi buddy, sorry I’m a bit late getting back, I’ve got a couple, one was a carp diem before the sports direct takeover but doesn’t seem to be available now and like another poster says NGT do a couple , I’ve got a four piece travelling which has been great, try an ebay search for 9 ft stalking rods and see what comes up. I find this style of rod really useful with a tc of 2.5lb they can still chuck a bag or feeder 50 yards if needed but with a through action they’re great for close in hit’nhold and being short you can sneak in to some really tight spots. Rig wise I use a short piece of peacock quill for bite indication either flat or lift style with a swan shot to anchor, bait is either hemp and corn or pellet and boilie when I squeeze a handful of damp pellets round the bait. Treat it like chub fishing, like carbelling which is carp fishing for barbel I call the technique churping, mix of chub fishing for carp! Tight lines ATB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Maybe you are fishing the wrong waters because I haven't ever come across this behaviour.

Yes perhaps I’ve been unlucky but 2 instances come to mind, one I sneaked quietly onto a platform clearly a designated swim, to fish against a bush, literally a 3-4 ft cast. 10 minutes later I was disturbed by 5-6 plops of boilies landing in the swim followed by an almighty great splash as a 4oz lead landed 6 ft from my feet, the “angler” was fishing along the bank 2 swims away casting across one into my spot, so taking up 3 swims but because he was “carp fishing” this was deemed a reason to take up half the bank up, ( to be kind it was a hell of an accurate cast, but very dangerous to me)Second one, again I sneaked into a marked swim to fish the margins, half hour later the “ angler” opposite unzipped his bivvy walked 10 yards to his rods shouted 80 yds across the lake that I was fishing in his swim and if I didn’t move he’d start catapulting “all sorts of shit” at me, I think that would constitute assault but life was to short to let that happen. I wish some people who fish for carp (they’re clearly not anglers) would realise if they fish into another swim they may have to reel in and place their rigs somewhere else if someone chooses to fish that swim. Rant over.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I might just fish out of the way places on rivers, illegally of course....why not, what the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve :).

Obviously I won't but I am tempted!

john step

Reaction score
I might just fish out of the way places on rivers, illegally of course....why not, what the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve :).

Obviously I won't but I am tempted!

Not worth getting caught.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
I have always said that there are those that fish for carp and there are carp anglers, there is imo a huge difference, mind that sort of behaviour isn't confined to those that fish for carp plenty of other inconsiderate people out there.

Yes I agree, my way of putting it is this, I like to fish for carp, but I don’t like carp fishing! I actually deliberately looked like a noddy ( horrible term but....) when I was carping I’d turn up on my bicycle, single rod strapped to the crossbar and a combined seat/ rucksack and lost count of the number of times I caught a couple of fish and go home for breakfast before the carpers unzipped their bivvies. Having said that there are some great innovative carpers out there,a good angler is a good angler whatever branch they apply themselves to. Anyway it’s all change for me I now live on the bank of the upper reaches of the Dordogne river ( France) with a load of new challenges, fly fishing in powerful rivers, predator and carping in 100+ hectare reservoirs and house renovation all in a foreign language. It beats arguing and threats of **** catapulted at you.