Close season fishing

Chevin_Rutilus

Reaction score
As the upcoming close season draws nearer, I was wondering what you river anglers are going to fish for until June?

I'm actually indecisive on what fish to target as my favourite species is chub. I don't want to fish commercials as I personally get no enjoyment from overfilled puddles and as much as I'd like to try specimen Carp fishing I lack the gear/money to do so. With that, I think I'm going to fish different stretches of the SYN canal looking for Chub.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I will probably fish some local commercials for perch.
Also a new club I have just joined appears to have some fair tench to 6lb plus. A rarity in Herefordshire.

bullet

Reaction score
Fly fishing for Trout for me, and from May a few trips for Bass.

Chevin_Rutilus

Reaction score
The Tench fishing sounds a good idea, I had considered doing some myself along with Crucians. However, apart from commercials, the only lakes local to me that have these species are Raven fields. A very nice and picturesque venue but I just can't justify/afford to pay £70-80 for somewhere I will only fish for 3 months.

B

binka

I will be looking towards crucians and tench in May but it will be a concentrated effort on the perch up until then, with whatever diversions take my fancy along the way :fish2:

flightliner

Reaction score
Try fishing the canals up around Thorne chevin, lots to interest you I'm sure. Far better I think than the SYN.

Chevin_Rutilus

Reaction score
Try fishing the canals up around Thorne chevin, lots to interest you I'm sure. Far better I think than the SYN.

I was looking on the DDAA website at Stainforth & Keadby canal and saw it mentions decent Bream and Chub, however there isn't to much information. It's probably going to be a case of taking a walk along the cut as well as contacting the local tackle shop.

Keith M

Reaction score
During the river closed season I’ll be concentrating on fishing a local private estate lake after its Tench and Crucians, with the occasional session after some of its Carp.

Keith

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Alderfen Fishery, Wroot near Doncaster is/was a favourite of Bob Roberts at one time. It was a day ticket water with nice tench and crucians.

Chevin_Rutilus

Reaction score
Alderfen Fishery, Wroot near Doncaster is/was a favourite of Bob Roberts at one time. It was a day ticket water with nice tench and crucians.

I may struggle getting to Wroot without a car, however I'll take a look and if it's how you say then I could try and find a way to travel there.
Thank you Sam.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
As the upcoming close season draws nearer, I was wondering what you river anglers are going to fish for until June?

I'm actually indecisive on what fish to target as my favourite species is chub. I don't want to fish commercials as I personally get no enjoyment from overfilled puddles and as much as I'd like to try specimen Carp fishing I lack the gear/money to do so. With that, I think I'm going to fish different stretches of the SYN canal looking for Chub.

If you fancy some carping why not go stalking, you may have a heavy spinning rod that will do the job, otherwise there are some great rods out there for around thirty quid. Then treat it like chubbing , wander around with a bucket of hemp or pellets and bait a few spots in the margins ( overhanging trees, pads, quiet corners) then fish them in rotation or by observing signs of fish. With a single short rod you can sneak into spots the carpers can’t fit their mobile homes into, and winkle a fish or two out before they have unzipped the bivvy door in the morning, however be wary of the selfish idiots that cast or boat their rigs into other swims,tie up half the lake and then zip down the bivvy while they sleep off the hangover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nottskev

Reaction score
My fishing through the year is a mix of rivers and stilwaters. The local rivers are too inconsistent to fish exclusively. In the close season, I'll carry on as usual, but without the rivers. Last year, after the usual anticipation, my fishing nose-dived when the rivers opened, so I went back to the stillwaters for a while. This year, I've signed up for some better summer river stretches, so here's hoping.

john step

Reaction score
My fishing through the year is a mix of rivers and stilwaters. The local rivers are too inconsistent to fish exclusively. In the close season, I'll carry on as usual, but without the rivers. Last year, after the usual anticipation, my fishing nose-dived when the rivers opened, so I went back to the stillwaters for a while. This year, I've signed up for some better summer river stretches, so here's hoping.

Agree about about inconsistency with rivers. I also just take it as it comes. I just carry on as usual as well with the variation of cutting out the pike after about the beginning of March and increasingly going over to roach then tench and carp until the rivers open when I get to them when personal arrangements and levels permit.
I don't know if its just me getting fussier but even in the warmer months I find the levels can fluctuate wildly much more than they used to.
Just not reliable?

Chevin_Rutilus

Reaction score
If you fancy some carping why not go stalking, you may have a heavy spinning rod that will do the job, otherwise there are some great rods out there for around thirty quid. Then treat it like chubbing , wander around with a bucket of hemp or pellets and bait a few spots in the margins ( overhanging trees, pads, quiet corners) then fish them in rotation or by observing signs of fish. With a single short rod you can sneak into spots the carpers can’t fit their mobile homes into, and winkle a fish or two out before they have unzipped the bivvy door in the morning, however be wary of the selfish idiots that cast or boat their rigs into other swims,tie up half the lake and then zip down the bivvy while they sleep off the hangover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are a few brick ponds close by and I did see carp feeding on the surface of at least one of them last summer so it maybe worth a go, especially on a nice day. I don't own a spinning rod (yet) but what are these £30 rods you mention?

thecrow

Reaction score
spots the carpers can’t fit their mobile homes into, and winkle a fish or two out before they have unzipped the bivvy door in the morning, however be wary of the selfish idiots that cast or boat their rigs into other swims,tie up half the lake and then zip down the bivvy while they sleep off the hangover.

Maybe you are fishing the wrong waters because I haven't ever come across this behaviour.

john step

Reaction score
There are a few brick ponds close by and I did see carp feeding on the surface of at least one of them last summer so it maybe worth a go, especially on a nice day. I don't own a spinning rod (yet) but what are these £30 rods you mention?

Plenty about. Have a look at NGT Direct website. All sorts. Pretty good budget rods. Carp, stalking rods, the lot.

terry m

Reaction score
I love fishing, but I will abstain as usual during the close season. Pure choice, although I have been known to take the odd trip to a local syndicate water late May or early June when I am getting withdrawal symptoms.

Actually, I enjoy the self imposed 3 month break, I schedule much travelling with work during that period which leaves a little more time free when the season proper starts.

no-one in particular

Reaction score

Some commercials are excellent, out of about 30 I have fished few were really just overfilled puddles, they ranged in quality but two or three were probably the best fisheries I have ever come across with secluded swims, choice of lakes, non carp, etc plus some excellent locations for wild/bird-life in really beautiful surroundings. And often in the middle of the week very empty if you can fish in the week.
I am only saying this because I often hear commercials described as overfilled puddles and I often think have they really looked/researched around and in fact missing out on some great places to fish. Is this opinion based on what others say or have they only fished one or two that were poor quality and given up on them.
It may be the case your in an area were really good commercials don't exist but have a look round, maybe not. The close season is a good time to try some different places and you could find just one or two that will set you up for a long time.

Last edited:

David Gane

Reaction score
Since I started fly fishing I now find myself looking forward to April for the first time ever in my fishing career. I'm lucky enough to live within 40 minutes of Rutland Water too. So that'll be it for me. Fluff chucking for trout. Lovely.