Kamasan black cap feeders

mikench

Reaction score
I use these a lot when using a maggot feeder and if that is my stated intent for the entire session, I am happy to fix them to the line if using a helicopter rig or free running to a bead. Does anyone else find that the swivel for doing so is too small if you want to use , say, the Korum running rig or similar! A bigger swivel is needed methinks but what do I know!!!:wh

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's the difference between something intended to be used by match/general coarse anglers and specimen angling. After all, Korum are the speci arm of Preston. The swivel can be replaced if needed. However, I suspect that quite a few match types would be less than impressed if they came fitted with a bigger swivel.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Can't you just use a link swivel?

image.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
Yes I can and do but this extends the overall feeder length and is another tiny bit of end tackle you need to add which would be unnecessary if a slightly bigger swivel was fitted! I am interested to see what others think and do!:)

seth49

Reaction score

Been using these for a while, like them a lot, there worth a try.

rayner

Reaction score
I found a bag full of black caps in my tackle room when I was hunting for a pole rest, it appears the pole rest as found a good hiding place as they're nowhere to be found.
Any way the power gum in the feeders turned out to be perished. couldn't be bothered to buy power gum so made a couple inline that work just fine for me.
No swivel just a speed bead to hook my hooklength to.
Will save me a few quid (always good for a Yorkshire man) there were 37 feeders in the bag, result.

mikench

Reaction score
I bought these when I started out and still do![video]https://www.korum.co.uk/products/rig-accessories/quick-change-lead-clips[/video]

The swivel on the blackcaps will not easily fit them to my annoyance. I have other alternatives and am not in the least perturbed. It's bad design in my book and was curious what others did. The inline Korum ones didn't last long with me and the clasp which locks the clam shell in place broke on all three so these have not been replaced!!

Richox12

Reaction score
To be fair though, they were probably designed 20+ years ago and not made to be used with lead clips back then

mikench

Reaction score
Quite probably but a slightly larger swivel is hardly demanding of a great deal of r&d!!

sam vimes

Reaction score
As I said earlier, they are items intended for different spheres of angling. The black cap feeders were designed well before lead clips were being used by anyone but out and out carpers. Lead clips are invariably designed with size 8 swivels in mind. Perhaps you might be well served looking at the miniature line clips that are out there. Be wary though, you might still find that the black cap swivel is a bit small, they simply are not intended to be used in conjunction with lead clips.

thecrow

Reaction score
If you really want to use a lead clip with the feeder why not change the power gum and put a larger swivel on but personally I would just use a link swivel.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks all. I will just add a link swivel. I have so many feeders, swivels and other bits of end tackle I could open a shop!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks all. I will just add a link swivel. I have so many feeders, swivels and other bits of end tackle I could open a shop!

Mike, I often add a weaker line than my mainline to the feeder/weight which is often referred to by anglers as a rotton bottom. I imagine ypu know about it and how it allows you to loose your feeder rather than you whole set up if the feeder is snagged.
I just put my line through the feeder swivel, tie a loop and the thread my mainline through the loop or attatch the loop to a running clip. This is the best way to fish a lot of sangy rocky rivers.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
I use these a lot and attach a quick link to the swivel & then a large ring swivel to the quick link for a sort of semi-fixed type of setup using a rubber tail over the mail line swivel (I put a rubber sleeve over the whole of the metal work to avoid tangles). It works really well for me.

Philip

Reaction score
Mike I am a bit confused as to what your trying to do. In your first post you mentioned fishing them fixed in a helicoper rig or free running to a bead, then you say your fishing them on a lead clip ?

Probably me and I didnt read every post but what exactly are you trying to do ...are you intending to fish it running or semi fixed ?

mikench

Reaction score
I use them both ways and when fixed to the end of the line with the heliocopter rog above im fine. It's when i try to fix them to a small lead clip that they wont fit. Free running to a bead they are fine but when a change of feeder is required i have to satrt again. Not a problem Philip( i have plenty of others) really and more of a comment really.

I

silvers

Reaction score
Having pretty much run out of thamesley block ends, I use black caps for nearly all my river barbel and chub feeder fishing. I replace the micro swivels with a haberdashery bead and power gum. Then just fish it free running to the hooklength knot. The diameter of the bead is small so that the feeder is not a “running” Leger ... but also not a fixed paternoster. It’s a super simple rig.

kenpm

Reaction score
Lead clips are designed to "dump" the lead in the event it becomes snagged in any way to fit in with the current carp fishing trend of releasing the lead to protect the hook hold.
There is no reason to use them with feeders at all unless you want to loose a feeder every cast.

mikench

Reaction score
You are right. I got the small Korum ones when I first started off and knew little better than I know now. I found they were easy to use and enabled me to switch feeders and hook lengths easily. I can fit the black caps on but they are a little tight! Hey ho ! Note to self; don't be such a lazy so and so!:)

I have never lost a feeder to a snag in the water; islands and trees are another matter!