Whats that.
    Engine
    Chassis
    Roof.

Tyres somewhere in Liverpool?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Harrison gti and gti su?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Elliott 1 View Post
    I think everbody that has a 13 or 14ft Hardy is more than satisfied.

My 14ft has handled carp over 20lb yet has been perfect for trotting for silvers, specimen chub and perch.

Odd one comes up on e-bay. There are some 12ft ones now.
    GRA' Did 'nt Hardy have a few problems with some of their game rods some time ago ?

I have a 13ft gti ( not the spliced tip) and 15ft s/u model, built them some years ago and plenty of use.
    They have served me well, but there's probably better out there now - if you define better as lighter! I now have an acolyte for light float work and would chose that every time with light lines over the gti, but if I'm on a carp puddle fishing for anything and know I'll be pestered by carp then the gti will at least bring the blighters to the net a little quicker.

The s/u model is a bit of a brute, use it for barbel trotting and carp ( bigger baits), it does fine but a bit of a lump by today's standards, I'll stick with it as I don't need another rod, but I'm sure there's alternatives to look at.

Good rods, tough and take abuse, plenty of other options out there to look at. I wouldn't be without mine though.

One last question, if I was to go the custom built gti route then do you think there will be much of a difference in the action of the rod between a ground and unground blank?

I prefer the look of a ground and clear coated blank, however, if the unground gti having a stiffer action improves the overall feel of the rod then I'd keep it unground.

Anyone have much experience with ground vs unground blanks?

Thanks

It's largely a cosmetic thing and I think you'd be hard pushed to notice any difference. However, asking your rod builder of choice would be the safest option.

Thanks! Wasn't sure if you'd notice or not

I remember asking Harrison's about this, they stated there was little difference ( that you would notice), I suspect only by having both models set up together would you be able to separate the two - if at all.

Cosmetically a ground blank is nicer and may be coloured and then this opens the way for whippings and trims to match. My thoughts anyway.

All my Harrison rods are ground and coloured, except a single fly rod and the 13ft gti float, both of which I wanted to knock up in a hurry.

Another vote for the Acolyte. I’ve a 13ft Plus & it’s superb for virtually all my fishing needs. If I need a bit more grunt I’ve a custom Harrison Torrix 1.25lb built by Mark Tunley. Lovely rod but the Acolyte gets far more use. I tend to only fish still waters though.
    Last edited by Nomad1; 02-03-2018 at 08:39. Reason: Spelling

Blog Entries

I'm afraid I bought a 13ft Marksman and I couldn't get rid quick enough,it didn't have the action I was looking for,which I didn't realise until I had a few decent fish on it,as for being able to land big fish on it,I'd be upset if any rod wasn't able to land one,just some have better actions than others,I'm afraid Harrison float rods are too heavy to hold for any length of time,unless you go into the gym and do weights....

Blog Entries

I've now broken the mid-section of a14ft Hardy and the tip section of a Harrison 15ft. Two of my fav rods... so if anyone has a spare section...?
    So many cormorants.... so few recipes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast