How far do you travel?

baldylux

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, i wonder how far you guys are happy to travel for your passion?

I have an awesome mixed fish club pool just 20 minutes drive away with a few others similar distance but choose not to bother with them. The next clubs are 30-45 mins drive to waters. Lots of daytickets in the similar distance of travel so not exactly stuck for where to fish.

So how far are you happy to travel???

Last edited:

soft plastic

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, i wonder how far you guys are happy to travel for your passion?

I have an awesome pond amongst rough housing estates just 20 minutes away with quality all round angling . A few other local clubs a similar distance too but sadly with less attractable points. (One heavily poached so unknown stocks, the other with strange vibe off the commitee)
Next clubs are 30-45 mins drive to waters. Lots of daytickets in the similar distance of travel so not exactly stuck for where to fish.

So how far are you happy to travel???
Well, I manage a round trip of around a thousand miles, including driving around while I am there, three times a year. That is from Lincolnshire to County Kerry in the Republic of Ireland.

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

sagalout

Reaction score
As little as possible, I try (successfully so far) fishing spots that I enjoy close to home and that does me. My furthest fishing commute at the moment is 11 miles, and there is no traffic :cool:. I can fish several club waters and have a club ticket for 5 miles of the Wye, why travel? (see what I did there Wye, why, oh don't bother)

I like being at home, I like the supermarket gin prices, me sofa, me shower, me bed so I don't see the need to travel away.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Normally 30 minutes or less although I do regularly travel just over an hour for good trout and sea trout fishing.

sam vimes

Reaction score
As short a distance as possible in order to find passable venues for me these days. Fifteen miles is a pretty long journey for me now. Once or twice a year I might push the boat out and really travel, but it's usually to a good venue combined with meeting distant friends.

john r stockburn

Reaction score
once the cold eventually goes we are spoilt for choice I suppose so it can be between a mile or 40 miles

baldylux

Reaction score
As little as possible, I try (successfully so far) fishing spots that I enjoy close to home and that does me. My furthest fishing commute at the moment is 11 miles, and there is no traffic :cool:. I can fish several club waters and have a club ticket for 5 miles of the Wye, why travel? (see what I did there Wye, why, oh don't bother)

I like being at home, I like the supermarket gin prices, me sofa, me shower, me bed so I don't see the need to travel away.
I only buy lotto tickets nowadays that give a prize to allow an option of buying a house where i can walk down the lawn to my own pool or quality stretch of river! Lol

baldylux

Reaction score
As short a distance as possible in order to find passable venues for me these days. Fifteen miles is a pretty long journey for me now. Once or twice a year I might push the boat out and really travel, but it's usually to a good venue combined with meeting distant friends.

Socials are always worth the effort mate :cool:

baldylux

Reaction score
once the cold eventually goes we are spoilt for choice I suppose so it can be between a mile or 40 miles
I like the idea of cheeky sessions after work so having some waters close by would be cool. In the past when into carp syndicates, i would do a night and get to work for 6am. But now i'd be happy with a few summer evenings after work. So thats got to be waters close by. Maybe weekends i would be happy with further

thecrow

Reaction score
Not very far nowadays although like Sam I do put a few miles on the clock to fish with friends sometimes, gone are the days of travelling all over the UK and Europe.

chrissh

Reaction score
Ill drive to Kent or surrey for a 2-3 day session luckily I have family & friends I can stay with … up to 10-50 miles on a summer day session mostly 10 miles this time of year

barbelboi

Reaction score
A shortish walk across the fields to the back of the house caters for most of my river/stream/backwater fishing.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Like Jerry I live just a few paces away from the river and have some good fishing in my own doorstep.

That said u still take the occasional trip further afield both in the U.K. as well as Europe, in particular in France.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
A half mile if I had to, but it's a water in waiting for the day when travel becomes too much but until that day I,ll still do the Trent, some forty minutes away whenever I can.
If I,m company for others who fancy a run much further away from home I'll do it but these days I only do the distance thing solo if theres a special reason

Philip

Reaction score
I used to travel allot, you have to if your want to catch certain fish, but nowadays I have less free time so am limited to very short sessions so its got to be somewere close and by that I mean <30mins but I will go further if I can.

Keith M

Reaction score
I belong to two different clubs giving me around 20 or so private club venues around me that I can fish; both lake and river venues; eight of them within around 10 to 20 minutes drive from my house and the others up to around 45 minutes away. Plus 2 stillwaters and a beach near my static holiday home.

Once or twice a year I may travel down to the Wye around Hereford to fish but at least 90% of the time I will be virtually fishing on my doorstep.

Keith

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I have 4 different clubs with waters from half a mile to eight miles to me. I do travel about 15 miles to The Witham and 35 to the Trent and a fishing holiday further afield once a year.

B

binka

I travel as little as possible these days with a typical journey to any one of my river stretches being around forty miles round trip.

I really want a doorstep stillwater for summer evenings after work but the one I fancy has recently changed ownership and I'm waiting for the dust to settle before I hand any money over for a ticket.

Back in the 90's I would regularly do hundred and fifty mile round trips to the drains for my pike fishing and whilst I enjoyed it at the time I wouldn't want to do it now.