Thought of the day

steve2

Reaction score
It might be a bit morbid but what do you intend to do with all your tackle. I saw some in a charity shop yesterday and it got me thinking.
We all appear to have loads more than we need.
We keep on adding to it and none of us are getting any younger so what do you think will happen to it.
In my case no one else in my family goes fishing and my fishing friends are all older than me so it will end up in some charity shop or on the local tip.

Is there a Fishing Charity that needs old tackle and will collect?

seth49

Reaction score
Think there’s someone you can donate it too,and they use it get children fishing, no doubt somebody on here will have the details.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
It's this one: Angling Projects Gets Kids Hooked on Fishing.

I recently acquired a small amount of gear that had belonged to someone who died a few years ago via my parents and his widow. Judging by the condition of the gear some of it had been bought 50 years ago and hardly used since as there's a near mint Edgar Sealey Contesta and Mitchell 304 which I'll ave a go with when it warms up considerably.

sagalout

Reaction score
I don't care I shall be dead. Also I hope by the time I die all me tackle will be well worn out and useless, and I do mean all me tackle. What? Oh bloody hell Mrs Lout has just said it is already!

mikench

Reaction score
.....and she should know Mr Lout!!:wh. I have just promised my newborn grandson the pick of my tackle but doubt he'll remember and hold me to it! The stuff my kids will get is frightening from all my hobbies over the years- fishing ,golf, airgun shooting, playing the guitar, radio controlled aircraft, hifi, motoring, and goodness knows what else. I'll have a clear out one day as I will inherit even more stuff from my dad!

I tend to look after my stuff though so who knows it might be valuable!!

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
As Mark says, Angling Projects is a great way to pass on tackle.

I gave them all my fishing cups and shields and they were really appreciative.
It meant they had a few rewards to give the kids after their fishing days.

I keep meaning to write a list with expected values of my tackle so a least it can be sold sensibly.
Half will go to Macmillans. The rest for a big party!

bullet

Reaction score
Digressing slightly, one of my clubs had some gear donated by the widow of a former member to auction off.
Most of it was fairly old, but in mint condition, some barely used.
The sad part was no one wanted any of it, even though some of the rods were state of the art in their day.
Compared to even fairly budget modern gear they were really heavy, with soft, sloppy actions.
I did get a couple of old hardy lures,though.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
when I go may as well just bury it with me..doubt they'll be that many anglers around then

rayner

Reaction score
I've not snuffed it yet, even so I'm thinning my tackle as this thread is running.
To date I've stripped down 3 Mitchell match reels, 4 Mitchell 300s and I've also thrown a bag full of nets. 2 seat boxes and an umbrella.
I aiming to get rid of everything other than the stuff I use regularly. It has all been made unusable and gone to the tip.
The rest will follow whilst I'm in the mood.
My wife thinks I've found my long lost sanity.
I'm on the top step for a change. It must be at least 30yrs since I reached those dizzy heights.

mikench

Reaction score
Like most things as one gets older, they are worth the wait! As someone once said" I'm not as good as I once was but I am as good once as ever I was"!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I already have an executor for my will appointed who is a very keen angler so my not inconsiderable collection of rods, reels and other tackle will go to good homes.

At least this way I can rest in peace knowing that none of my ex-wives will be selling it off for what I told them I'd paid for it . . . .

B

binka

I've not snuffed it yet, even so I'm thinning my tackle as this thread is running.
To date I've stripped down 3 Mitchell match reels, 4 Mitchell 300s and I've also thrown a bag full of nets. 2 seat boxes and an umbrella.
I aiming to get rid of everything other than the stuff I use regularly. It has all been made unusable and gone to the tip.
The rest will follow whilst I'm in the mood.

Oi Mush...

Get a grip and face the truth, namely that you ain't done yet!

Your false logic fools no one and we all know you're just making room for the new, in the way that we always justify these things :):):)

Philip

Reaction score
when I go may as well just bury it with me..doubt they'll be that many anglers around then

Well I thought how can this thread get more despressing but hats off to you Jason you managed to add an extra cherry of depression to the doldrum cake ! :(

..I jest somewhat of course. For my part I recently got a job lot of tackle for next to nothing at a boot sale from someone who had obviously been a keen angler. It probably sounds a bit big headed but I actually thought it was quite good I got it as at least I appreciated the stuff he had and I aim to try and put at least some of it to good use.

It made me think that thats probably what I would want for my stuff, for it to at least go to someone who appreciated it and made use of it. I dont think you can ask for more than that really.

rayner

Reaction score
Oi Mush...

Get a grip and face the truth, namely that you ain't done yet!

Your false logic fools no one and we all know you're just making room for the new, in the way that we always justify these things :):):)

Oi mush indeed, I've never in any way been considered a mush. :biggrin-new: I have been called worse, but never mush.
All joking aside I don't expect to be done any time soon.
The thing is I've had to sort out my fathers home recently and before that my in laws. I have first hand knowledge of how unhappy an experience it is.
There's no way I could in all conscience leave my child to do the same for me.
Most of the tackle I have is more than past it's best. I've made up my mind to reduce the horde, a little at a time.
All I will save is my commy stuff and my centre pins.
As for buying new, not a chance. If I ever buy anything else new I'll sell my ring to the Pope.