wye freezing up

jasonbean1

Reaction score
just looked on the webcam at Hereford and there's icebergs floating down the bloody river!

Farson Digital Watercams - Hi-def webcam on River Wye, at Hereford

me and a mate have a cottage booked just outside Hereford for 5 nights and meant to be going this evening...not going to travel today seeing how bad the forecast is and I rang the farm where the cottage is...they said they haven't even ventured out yet as the snows too deep! he said he'll go out in the tractor this afternoon to see if the lane is passable :eek:mg:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Jason. Are you at the WH?

If so you pass me. It's a foot deep and Currently impassable

jasonbean1

Reaction score
meant to be staying at dinedor cross farm off the holme lacy road......is it looking really bad round that way Graham?

sagalout

Reaction score
We are on the Holme Lacy route if you are coming of the M50 at J3, and although the main road B4224 is gritted it is about 2" thick with compacted snow, traffic is straddling the white line. It is not a journey I would make if what was not an emergency. If this is your route I can keep you informed. This area has heavy snow forecast for this afternoon and I already have 3' drifts in the garden.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
We were looking at going the long way round from oxford which is m40 m42 m5 to Worcester then down the a4103 into Hereford and dinedor is 3 mile the other side of Hereford.

sagalout

Reaction score
Blimey, that is a long way round. We are 11 miles south of Dinedor and I would not drive there today unless it was an absolute emergency. The forecast for Hereford during this afternoon and evening is worse than here.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
cheers for that.....i'll contact the farmer in the morning to see what he says and i'll keep I touch....we're booked in till Wednesday so even if we get up there Sunday we'll at least not chucked all the booking cost away. to be honest catching is not the most important thing, be just nice to get out on the bank and if I can catch a chub or 2 it will be a bonus

Reaction score
Surely it will be ten foot up by Monday?

sagalout

Reaction score
It came up 10ft the other week with all the rain and through Ross town section it had come over the banks and was up against the raised section of road. Stood on Wilton bridge looking at it was fantastic, I think at the town monitoring station it was as low as 8" in the summer and it had come up to 13 or 14'.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Jason. Still snowing and some very deep drifts off the main roads.

I'm afraid to say from Sunday the river will be high wide and Freezing cold.

You might consider Builth Wells if roads are cleared and river in its banks for grayling, maybe chub.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Cheers Graham....at least the snowmelt will warm the river up!

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Well.... mission aborted today, just going to go for it in the morning, any ideas which route to take to get?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
M4
A417 at swindon turn off
M5 heading worcester/birmingham
M50.
A49 towards Hereford

Don't take A40 from end of 417. Very twisty.

You could of course go M40/42/M5/M50
But if the M4 is just 30 or so mins to get to.....thats clearer

Small roads still like mine at Bridstow.

20180303_123303.jpg

Last edited: