Earith/Needingworth/Somersham (Cambridgeshire) course fishing venues

dac1

Reaction score
Hi all,
I would like to join a venue or two this year to enjoy the odd session of float and ledger fishing. I require the venues to be in Earith, Needingworth or Somersham, in Cambridgeshire.
I looked into this last summer and even looked at a couple of venues (a small lake complex in Over) and the river in Bluntisham. Both had massive amounts of weed present which I would snag on every cast. Clearly, these venues are no good for me (or anyone).

1) Please can someone suggest a venue in Earith/Needingworth/Somersham, or very close by (travelling by cycle), that is quiet, scenic and has Tench/Bream/Small Carp/Perch (fish around 2lb-15lb). My aim is to relax in quiet and secluded (away from road noise) place with the hope of catching something bigger than a roach?

2) When I fished many years ago I never come across so much weed trouble. Has there been a weed explosion problem in the last few years or so? If yea, what is the cause of it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Looking a Google Maps you would appear to be surrounded by water. The Great Ouse is nearby and I seem to recall The LAA had fisheries in that area.
Why not get yourself a weed rake and have a couple of visits on your bike in the Spring once the weed gets going to clear a nice secluded spot ready for 16th June.
You could then keep it clear throughout the summer. A visit a couple of times a week to have a rake and throw in a bit of bait and I reckon you would bag up.

skov

Reaction score
More water than you can point a stick at around there.
I'm not sure there's anywhere that exactly meets your requirements, but these might be worth a look:
Rookery Waters, Pidley
Somersham Lake (unfortunately only open to residents of Somersham).
Long Island lake, Earith (the campsite lake)
Fenland Fisheries Ash Tree Pool at Earith.
Skeets lake at Earith

Last edited:

dac1

Reaction score
Thanks John Step and Skov for your responses.
If others know of other locations (rivers or lakes) local to the areas mentioned, which are not full of weeds and lilies, then please let me know.
Thank you.

retrobob

Reaction score
More water than you can point a stick at around there.
I'm not sure there's anywhere that exactly meets your requirements, but these might be worth a look:
Rookery Waters, Pidley
Somersham Lake (unfortunately only open to residents of Somersham).
Long Island lake, Earith (the campsite lake)
Fenland Fisheries Ash Tree Pool at Earith.
Skeets lake at Earith

Bizarrely the fairly small Skeets Lake is now a syndicate, a real shame as I fished that 3-4 times during the river closed season.

I can highly recommend Long Island Lake, this is the one on the caravan park in Earith. This has a nice mixed head of fish and they let you use a keepnet, only £6 a ticket (£8 for two rods). There are some lovely lillies in here but they do cut them back. In fact the whole place is nicely manicured. I've targeted all sorts here and have had everything from small roach and perch, to large carp. This isn't one of those overstocked commercials, it was stocked in the 90s and they've let it manage itself fish wise, don't get me wrong - there's loads of fish in here, just that there's a nice variety.

Last edited: