Favourite fish and method

Nomad1

Reaction score
My preferred method is the float on running line. There’s something about the anticipation of seeing it dip away. I’ve just bought a margin pole & I’m looking forward to giving that a go.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I must admit that the answer to this question would have a great deal to do with the time of year for me, and also the type of angling that I have the most regular access to. So worthy mentions to... any type of float fishing, be that crucians or tench on a still water or frankly anything that will bite on a river; high-summer floater fishing for carp; anything involving the sea, just because it makes me feel like such a massive know-nothing-numpty, and anything caught there is seemingly all the more rewarding... however, the winner of the lifetime favourite fishing method is...

Winter chub fishing. Loaf of bread, maybe a little ball of cheesepaste. The barest minimums of tackle, preferably in the pockets. A deserted length of medium-sized river, where every bend, overhanging tree, flotsam raft, undercut bank and sunken log is worth baiting up; because of the nature of those features, it's ledger work - you'd not get close enough with a float; and that ledger, be it just a weight or maybe a liquidised bread stuffed feeder - should be just heavy enough to hold the bottom, so a light flick of the rod will see it shift a little, meaning a bait can be inched down the river and in to the chub's lair! A good mobile approach might see you walk the equivalent of a round of golf, and you'll end up not catching in more swims than you do... but those fish, at this time of year... they will never look more impressive than they do now, bull chested hard fighting eating machines! Puts the summer version in to the pale, literally. Thank you ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner :)

bracket

Reaction score
For me it's simple, stickfloat with caster or maggot on the river, for whatever comes along. Stillwater will be the pole and expanders for bream. I am comfortable with the feeder, it's won me a lot of coin in my match fishing days. But let's be right, there's nowt like the float mucker. Pete

sam vimes

Reaction score
Favourite fish = the next one.
Favourite method = the one that works at the time.

However, I do enjoy float fishing above all else.

Clodhopper

Reaction score
Like many here, I love to see a float submerge. Especially in moving water and particularly when a lift of the rod meets something quite 'solid'.

But let me assure those who have not yet tried it: there is nothing quite like the feeling of successfully striking at a take of a dry fly. First you have to deceive a feeding fish with a bit of fluff, artfully presented. Then you have to hold back whilst the fish turns and the hook can be set.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

barbelboi

Reaction score
Trotting - as you can never be sure of what dips the float I love the expectation but hope to 'hit' what I'm targeting on a given session. Fish - difficult one from a few but probably roach...............

Another Dave

Reaction score
So many to choose from and so many with little to separate them but all which involve a float of some kind or another.

Trotting for barbel takes some beating, trotting for roach is a delight and dibbing for gudgeon are all up there for me but all are runners up to a perch bobber with a worm beneath it, be it trotted or on a stillwater.

The closer in the better, too.

Agreed, i've never really enjoyed fishing at range, much more exciting close in. Fascinating when you can see the fish but in a way even more interesting when it's a bit murky or deep so you can only see the signs.

shane99

Reaction score
Generally mostly float fish for Perch under depth, for a change & in warmer months I fish the lift method for Tench with Prawn/lobs (always hope for a Perch) & for a real change occasionally tip fish with an ultra light bomb rod with a small cage or maggot feeder.

steve2

Reaction score
Sitting behind two rods waiting for a carp to hook itself doesn't seem to be very popular way of fishing judging by the post so far.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Sitting behind two rods waiting for a carp to hook itself doesn't seem to be very popular way of fishing judging by the post so far.
Thought you did more tench and bream fishing steve ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Have you christened your new rod yet Matt?
No im affraid not yet . Weather cinditions down here for rivers not been too good when able to go . But i knoe the avon top will be used alot in the summer for carp and tench when fishing bolt style on alarms . Or if closer in would be on the float or the tip . But from experience you dint need the tip for summer carp close in .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

bezzer

Reaction score
I don't have a favourite fish or a favourite method.

I enjoy catching any fish whether it be a Barbel using a meat with a 4oz feeder, or a Tench on waggler fished corn or an F1 on using a pellet waggler.

I'm just happy to be out on the bank and enjoying life.

peterjg

Reaction score
I've looked at all the posts on this thread and I am amazed - some people deliberately fish for other species rather than for roach - how weird is that!

peterjg

Reaction score
Terry m: how dare you! Instead use carp or bream or trout! Leave the roach alone - they are all mine!!!