tip advice

wrighty64

Reaction score
hi
im aiming to fish lake bala in a couple of weeks and been told feeder works best question is what would be ideal feeder sizes for 1-2-3 oz glass and a 1oz carbon i understand weather conditions can dictate tip size as well as weight / distance

thanks in advance

sam vimes

Reaction score
The choice of feeder weight is largely irrelevant with regards to the choice of tip. Putting a 3oz tip into one rod doesn't mean that it's capable of casting a bigger feeder than it is with a 1oz tip fitted. What the rod concerned is able to handle is far more relevant. The tip choice should depend on the method being used (semi-fixed/running), the species expected and the prevailing conditions.

Last edited:

wrighty64

Reaction score
roach are main species the rod is an avanti indestrut x 12ft (cant see any ratings on it) but unused be me as yet hopefully will get a run out before going but weather dependent and thinking heli/semi fixed

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Bala Lake can get quite a surface chop on it if the wind gets up, even on a fine day there will be waves on it, the bottom can be snaggy so take a few feeders with you, It is a hard water to fish, so a blank could be on the cards.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'd suggest that, on stillwaters, you generally try to use the lightest tip as conditions allow. There's little point in using the lightest tip available to you if it means that bites are indistinguishable from movement cause by wind, tow and waves. However, with semi-fixed leger set ups it may serve to use a heavier tip anyway. A stiffer tip can help to magnify the drop backs you are often looking for with such methods. Any bolt effect given by such methods can also be improved by the use of heavier tips.

nottskev

Reaction score
I've only fished there a couple of times, at this time of year, ages ago, and then I was on the railway side, where you cross the tracks to get to the shore. I remember two things: you had to cast a long way to get to a good depth, so a feeder with a "front-loaded" design, like a window feeder, will be a big help, and even a shock leader to allow you to whack it out; with a lot of line out and a strong tow, you might need a stiffer tip than you first expect, so it's not pulled right round and unable to show bites, and I'd leave the 1 oz one out and try the other two. The fish aren't shy-biting, if you can find them, so a heavier tip helps you beat the conditions on this massive, exposed water. It's a lovely place to fish, but very different to the kind of lakes we usually find ourselves on. You might be fishing somewhere with deep water close in, but the railway bank, where you need to cast well out, is where most visiting anglers seemed to end up.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Had a quick read up about it and it appears you'll be after roach and perch. This time of year groundbait will be of little use so worms and maggots will be your best bet.

There's quite a few different types of front weighted maggot feeders you can use to help if you need distance.

My general rule for set up is a standard running rig as preference but if there's a strong wind coming towards you a helicopter rig will help avoid tangles.

Last edited: