Twisting the Melons Man!

The bad one

Reaction score
Prohibit the removal of trees/shrubs from riverbanks & in-river wildlife habitat
Vital wildlife habitat for protected species like otters bats & water voles is regularly destroyed plus nesting sites for birds & refuges for fish from predation. This is carried out without the threat of prosecution. Such actions must be licensed & subject to full environmental impact assessments.
Prohibit the removal of trees/shrubs from riverbanks & in-river wildlife habitat - Petitions

How many will sign it?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Signed.
Hopefully we'll get the 10k signatures required.

mikench

Reaction score
If this was only for the riverine environment I am in favour but I am always suspicious of the insidious extension of laudable aims to areas where they are neither wanted nor desired! Could this be the thin end of the edge and then extend to any waterside environment ie lakes manmade or otherwise ! Trees and shrubs might look nice but not when a peg or a section of lake becomes unfishable!

The treehuggers are not my favourite people! I will have to ponder the matter extensively!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If this was only for the riverine environment I am in favour but I am always suspicious of the insidious extension of laudable aims to areas where they are neither wanted nor desired! Could this be the thin end of the edge and then extend to any waterside environment ie lakes manmade or otherwise ! Trees and shrubs might look nice but not when a peg or a section of lake becomes unfishable!

The treehuggers are not my favourite people! I will have to ponder the matter extensively!

Come and have a look at the Stour Mike, the companies sub contracted out by the EA are clueless, vast areas have been completely butchered, I'm sure you'd have a change of heart.

mikench

Reaction score
John I am all in favour for the banks of rivers and streams! My worry is that if such a statute was passed it could be extended to lakes and ponds often privately owned!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
John I am all in favour for the banks of rivers and streams! My worry is that if such a statute was passed it could be extended to lakes and ponds often privately owned!

I'm no expert on the issues Mike, the Government will tell us the cutting back of vegetation is vital to prevent flooding, do they also think lakes and ponds, many owned privately will cause the same flooding concerns?

thecrow

Reaction score
This sounds like the petition I signed the other day on FB only had 44 signatures then but I hope it reaches the required number to do something to stop this practice that has already done so much damage.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don't see to much protesting going on regarding the concreting over of front gardens, a serious issue in urban areas.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I won't sign it, not good For angling and if it went through it would cause chaos fir clubs trying to maintain and improve there waters. The ea wouldn't be able to do improvements and there would be a total backlog in licence applications as the infrastructure is not there to deal with such a process

There is already something like this going on with a review by defra/ea regarding licences for work on rivers. Can't remember what it was now though but the ea fisheries guys are dead against it.

Keith M

Reaction score
Signed but after reading the comments that Jason posted I’m not so sure that I should have.
I might not be sending the confirmation email yet.

As long as it will still allow fishery work parties to remove cormorant roosts (bare branches high up and overlooking the water) and trim back overhead branches from swims that impede casting and striking or may cause injury through them falling down; and trimming pathways without breaking the law; otherwise it could do more harm than good.

Keith

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
I think like all petitions the aims of the petition organiser were not able to be fully explained in the petitions wording due to being limited in how much vocabulary is allowed, I have no doubt that should this ever achieve its aim that it will not be so obstructive or even difficult to obtain a licence to do river bank work as is being muted on here.

B

binka

I just wish I could get the Happy Mondays out my head... Grrr! :doh:

nottskev

Reaction score
I preferred Shaun Ryder's re-born Black Grape - "It's great when you're straight" is a fabulous album. They played in the park next door's festival last summer, on the same stage as the Buzzcocks. It was like a bit of Manchester come to Nottingham. And it rained all day, which added to the impression.