Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    EC Guest

Withunemployment potentially becoming very high inthe next few yearsdo you think there might be an upturn in angling club membership? During the last recession a club I was a member of had a membership of around 14K. I think last year it was about 7K.

Angling is still a relatively cheap hobby/sport/pastime, will the recession pull lapsed anglers back into the fold?

No, the oposite will happen. My local tackle shop has already seen a big down turn in customers. Some due to the wet summer and now more so with the credit crunch. I can see a few clubs loosing members. Down side, will it put up membership for remaining members?

Baz (Angel of the North) Guest

Dificult, but personally I think any angler with any sense will make sure his/her membership doesn't lapse. Although I think more anglers will stay closer to home. As I'm sure it will be a case of haveing to.

I agree with you,rs comments there Baz;

I think and hope that some clubs may come to an understanding with some members, if they are having trouble with membership fee's, the two I am a member of do.

As Baz has said many will stay close to home, the price of petrol not helping, still to high a price.

It may be that a few clubs will have to shut up shop if things get any worse, and I am sorry to say that they will.

Blog Entries

It is not looking too good for some tackle shops. I was in my local last weekeend picking up a few things I had ordered; a cupping kit and a spare match top 3 for my pole, and Dave told me that I had spent more in one my trip than he had taken in the previous 4 days!

Not a good sign.

As for my local clubs I think they will be in for a tough 12 months or so, less money around, and annual river rents still rising.

In November I had 2 invitations to join new syndicates who are hoping to pick up a club water or two.

Paying the mortgage, buying food and keeping a couple of cars on the road are still more important to most people than maintaining club
    memberships.

By the way, the word 'mortgage' comes from the old French, meaning 'a death grip'!

Descriptive, or what?

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

7. Default

As said by wobbly face tackle shops are struggling,my local shop reckons he only survives because he owns the building and has no rent to pay.In the past most winter fishing was done on the river,but with the wet winters we now get your lucky to get on acouple of times a month,then the close season comes and the levels are perfect.Which must also effect turnover for them because we used to take at least 3 pints of maggots and 2 of caster per trip.He also reckons hardly any kids come in any more,I run a small club and we give free membership to all members wives and children to try to get kids invovled in our great sport,we even give prizes at matches for all junior members,but its like flogging a dead horse,there are just to many other distractions these days,funnily enough though of the kids that do turn up most are girls.

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) Guest

My local tackle dealer told me that in 5 years time, there will be no local tackle shops. Tackle would be purchased on line and baits such as maggots and casters would have virtually dissappeared.

Hmmm a hard one to call regarding club membership. I would imagine clubs that charge a hundred pounds plus would suffer more than the likes of BAA whose ticket is only thirty pounds and the first to drop out would be the non regular anglers or the anglers that buy a ticket for a particular venue.

Tackle shops are no different to the High St., their takings go up and down with the economy so in a recession it is inevitable that some will go to the wall, but it is a hard business to be in anyway and I think their only answer is to combine their angling dept. with some other retail enterprise.

Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently - and for the very same reason

Look on the bright side...

More syndicates.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast