Coloured mainline

B

binka

Now that's a question I've asked in the past and to no conclusion.

You're getting into depths and light refraction in relation to different colours as a fish's eye is said to react, quite aside from the individual physical elements of the waters you fish such as the colour of the bottom and how weedy it may or may not be.

And then there's the length of the hooklink and how far away it is from the mainline?

I would say go with what you feel is right, there is no definitive answer.

peterjg

Reaction score
I used to carp fish a usually very clear gravel pit. Carp could definitely see the mainlines and would either back off or deliberately avoid them - if they touched the mainlines it spooked them and they very quickly disappeared!

So my theory was that it was preferable for the carp to actually be able to see the main lines BUT much better to get the lines out of the way by using back leads and slackish lines whenever possible.

Of course, depending on circumstances, you can't always use slackish lines or back leads so there is no complete answer to this problem (as per previous post!).

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Back in the day when all carp tackle was matt black I used black line and I still caught carp even on very clear waters where even I could see the line.
I still do catch carp and other fish using all different colour main lines, mono or braid.
So it might be more about what anglers think is right rather than what fish can see.

nottskev

Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by "coloured"! I've seen articles where famous anglers promote use of bright red and yellow lines, and I don't think I could bear to have them on my reel, but I'm happy enough with subdued colours.

I seem to have got the idea years ago that clear reel lines are less robust than coloured lines - but I couldn't justify the generalisation, even though I could name one or two clear lines that seemed to get more easily damaged in use.

As to spooking fish, I tended to think (or maybe not even think, just assume) that clear lines would spook fish less, as they might not be so easily seen. Then I read a convincing article that claimed fish don't spook when they can see a line - they just swim around it. They spook when they bump into lines they don't see, so you're better off with something they can! So I've no idea which is right.

More generally, even though we do get "line bites", it's odd we don't get more. Often you can fish a float shotted to a speck with the line below in the middle of a shoal of fish milling around after what you're feeding - and not see that speck move except when you have a bite. I wonder then why more fish don't bump the line and give false bites. Can they see it? You might be using a low-diameter line in coloured water, yet still line bites are rare.

thecrow

Reaction score
When fishing a lead/feeder on still water and it is left in for a reasonable time all line will be visible due to the debris that floats about in the water that then collects on the line.

Other than flouro for hooklengths I don't like "clear" line no idea why but the mono I use just feels different in clear.

john step

Reaction score
I feel the clearer the water the more it matters alongside how pressured the water is.
I think hooklink colour or camouflage can be more important. No proof, just a feeling.

Where there is a bit of weed I am convinced my catches have been greater when using a product called Merlin for a hooklink. Its a bit thick but it looks just like a strand of weed.
Similarly a sandy bottomed lake I fish with very little weed responds better when I use Drennan braid in the sandy colour.

barbelboi

Reaction score
From my experience with barbel they generally tend to spook if they can't see the mainline and come into contact with it. As long as it's not taught they quite happily rub against it, along with all the other weed, branches, etc that they can see. What I do find spooks them is coming into contact with the taught line from the lead up to the rod - therefore I prefer to use of a long hook length in these conditions............

B

binka

From my experience with barbel they generally tend to spook if they can't see the mainline and come into contact with it. As long as it's not taught they quite happily rub against it,

Iirc there is some excellent underwater footage In Barbel Days & Ways which shows exactly this, giving comparisons with mono and flouro.

I've got the DVD set in a drawer beside me but haven't got round to plugging in the player since moving here 5 years ago :cool: