What is it about fishermen complain about skimmer/bream or carp

chrissh

Reaction score
What is it about fishermen complain about skimmer/bream or carp. I’m not a carp fisher but do catch them the same as I catch bream.
There’s been many a time that a bream or 2 have saved the day without going home blanking

Just go back to when you was a kid starting out fishing on a river or pond. For me it was rivers (River Lea- Lea navigation - River Beane & River Mimram) catching minnow by the bucket load, small Rudd, Bleak, Gudgeon, Dace, then you caught a skimmer/Bream you was jumping for joy tell all our mates I’ve just caught a big one, it might only have been 1.1/2 lb but it a fish to shout about as a kid.

Yes Bream can be slimy so are eels?

I have had many a good day catching bream on the Shannon and in Holland

All I’m saying is don’t knock these fish they can save the day sometimes be it Bream or Carp we are ment to be fishermen!!!

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
What is it about fishermen complain about skimmer/bream or carp. I’m not a carp fisher but do catch them the same as I catch bream.
There’s been many a time the a bream or 2 have saved the day without going home blanking

Just go back to when you was a kid starting out fishing on a river or pond. For me it was rivers (River Lea- Lea navigation - River Beane & River Mimram) catching minnow by the bucket load, small Rudd, Bleak, Gudgeon, Dace, then you caught a skimmer/Bream you was jumping for joy tell all our mates I’ve just caught a big one, it might only have been 1.1/2 lb but it a fish to shout about as a kid.

Yes Bream can be slimy so can eels?

I have had many a good day catching bream on the Shannon and in Holland

All I’m saying is don’t knock these fish they can save the day sometimes be it Bream or Carp we are ment to be fishermen!!!

Absolutely 100% correct.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I don't think it matters what it is if seems like all you can catch it becomes a bit tedious. I have a fondness for Tench but if that's all
I could catch I'd get a bit fed up. But isn't it part of the fun/challenge, trying to get past the predominant fish to catch something else?

mikench

Reaction score
Agreed Chris! I would struggle without bream and whilst I never fish for them I must be a bream magnet! I am happy to catch anything except a cold!

rayner

Reaction score
You're right Chris.
I believe that anglers who have a certain dislike for a certain species are just joshing.
I'd rather catch roach than Ide, so long as I'm catching I'm really not bothered.

thecrow

Reaction score
To many wanting only what they fish for in waters, if that's what they want they should either find a water containing only what they want to catch or buy/lease their own water and manage it to become what they want, anglers cannot expect clubs/owners to restrict their market to suit one section of anglers.

To many anglers are far to interested in how others fish or what they fish for and how they choose to fish.

From a personal point of view nowadays I don't care what comes along, I have done all the single species big fish chasing before and it no longer interests me, so long as the way others choose to fish isnt interfering with my angling or endangering the fish I couldn't care less what they fish for or how they fish for them.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I may target specific species at times, but I couldn't really care less what comes along. I'm happy catching anything. The only thing I'm not so keen on is being caught out with gear that's inappropriate for whatever turns up. There's little joy in catching the smaller species on out and out carp gear and hooking big stuff when you're fishing for tiddlers can be a little hairy, but that's fishing. Half the joy is never really knowing what might take your bait.

I sometimes wonder if some folks want lakes with only one or two species of fish at certain sizes. I did used to think this kind of attitude was the preserve of big carp anglers, but I'm no longer convinced that it's the case.

tikka

Reaction score
As long as I'm catching fish, I don't mind what comes along (except eels), in my opinion fishing is about catching fish, & being in the great outdoors.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
As I've said before I never target bream so they are always a massive disappointment and I would honestly rather not catch them at all. I dont feel the same about ( say) tench on the odd occasion I fish for carp. There is just something about bream that leaves me cold.

I'm not so naive as to think I wont catch a few along the way but I dont have to like them nor do I have to justify why. I just dont.

Pike are another species that I am completely indifferent to.Never fish for them and couldnt care less if I never caught another. I dont think that constitutes complaining....I seem to be reasonably successful at avoiding both which suits me just fine.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
In my younger years catching a net full of stunted Roach, Rudd and Bream would have been a really good days fishing for me; however; as I get older this type of fishing starts to bore me senseless, unless there were some really big ones amongst them or I’m fishing a match and they were the dominant species in my swim or I was trying to catch a few livebaits for piking.

I spent last Sunday catching small Roach, Rudd and skimmer Bream when I was out with my son and I was bored witless after an hour or so, with lots of stunted Roach, Rudd and skimmer Bream and not much else, and I suspect so was my son.
My son Stuart had said he fancied a little light waggler fishing for a change so we decided to fish a small private water near us (bad choice of venue).

I realise that really big Bream (into double figures) are a lot harder to catch, and also a lot less slimey than smaller Bream, and I certainly wouldn’t turn my nose up if I caught one of these either; however waters that hold giant Bream are very scarce or non existent around my way, plus I would be much more inclined to be fishing for species like Tench (my favourite species) or Barbel or quality sized Carp or specimen sized Roach, Rudd or Crucian Carp.

But If you like catching skimmer Bream or stunted Roach or Rudd etc. then good luck to you; I can’t see anything wrong in that. It’s the enjoyment you get out of it that really counts.

Keith

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
My club have decided to invest in 1000lb of bream this spring, hopefully they are a decent size and not 4-5000 of them.
I generally never target a specific species so I’m glad for anything that is stupid or hungry enough to take my bait.

thecrow

Reaction score
I realise that really big Bream (into double figures) are a lot harder to catch

They can be the most frustrating species to fish for, I spent 2 seasons chasing very large Bream and never got to grips with them, had fish well into double figures rolling over my bait many times but I came to the conclusion that they were creatures of habit and feeding where I was fishing wasn't part of their habit :confused:

B

binka

I honestly don't mind bream, I joke about them but fish species are like any collective and something has to be the butt of the joke.

Carp are a different matter entirely for me, it's not carp that I dislike as much as the implication of them and the fact that it's often a waste of time fishing for anything else on some waters and I'm not just talking about commies, as was my experience yesterday whilst doing a spot of perching on a go to club water and banking several small mirrors.

I would rather have blanked!

It was always difficult enough to avoid the commons, I may as well write that water off now.

It will be a similar situation in May, the bream will spawn and the carp will follow them, tails up, whilst they hoover up the eggs.

I need more carp like I need another hole in my head.

seth49

Reaction score
Don’t mind bream at all, probably catch more bream than anything else, they keep the bites coming till something else turns up, I was actually disappointed when a large bream, could have been double figures came off, just short of the net last summer.

Where I fish they are not that slimy, so there not bad to handle, a couple of towels to wipe my hands on, job sorted. Some of them leap out of the water like a trout when hooked, quite entertaining.

bracket

Reaction score
Having been a match angler for the most part of my life, in the Midland, bream were most welcome. When they were on your peg, it was a godsend. Easy to catch, no effort to bring in, a shoal fish, so plenty to go at, and skimmers would go two to the pound where as the average roach would go three to the pound. So all in all the fish to catch to build up a weight. You could take them on the stick float with rod and line or close up on the whip, but also on the feeder along with the chance of better fish coming along. So bream have been good to me over the years and I am delighted to continue to take them at every opportunity. Bream I just love them, slimey of course they are but what is the problem with a bit of snot on the back of your Levies. As I have said before it guarantees you elbow room at the bar. Pete

Last edited:

john r stockburn

Reaction score
I must put up some pictures of the snot monsters I have caught (my son uploads pics for me)
and over the years I have had some really memorable catches of treble figure nets of them
I love them myself along with Tench ,Rudd and Crucians and will sit there as long as they keep biting

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Had a short spell of fishing for double figure fish many years ago, but in the end I decided life is too short when chasing them on a big water. Even when I found them I never seemed to have enough ground bait to keep them interested!

A good double from deep water needs a bit of thought during the fight, though.

Other than that not my cup of tea and I would rather blank than catch tin plates...

carpinbob

Reaction score
I'm just happy to catch any species , it's much better than blanking.