John Wilson makes me cringe!

W

Wolfman Woody

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" width="425" height="350"><param name="src" value="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K9iicVzR-y8" /><param name="width" value="425" /><param name="height" value="350" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K9iicVzR-y8" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Local Hero.

W

Wolfman Woody

The You Tube linky thing isn't working again!

/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

Mark Knopfler, best string plucker of all!

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
John Wilson may have his eccentricities, and the way he irritatingly 'directs' experienced anglers fishing with him to 'not stab at it' with the landing net would probably result in him having more riverside baths than the average angler if the cameras weren't running. Butall said and done he has introduced the world of angling to the masses. His enthusiasm is genuine and infectious and, whilst there may be better, and worse, anglers on TV he has a place in angling history.

How he manages to make all those films and still build rods amazes me. He's built three for me - got his signature on them so it must be true!!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Tee Cee. No I never had a bad day yesterday and yes I do believe Ron can be a pompous ass at times and no I wouldn't want to share a glass of plonk with him because I don't drink, plonk or otherwise.

Unfortunately Ron types before he thinks like a lot of posters and whilst some are purely wind ups others are not such as this latest one. Whether or not he knows him (hmmm) John Wilson has contributed a hundred times more to the angling world than Ron ever will and it does him no credit to put him down as very ordinary.

And why the hell am I explaining to you I wonder to myself!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I think Ron's been misunderstood with this one. I don't think he meant that John isn't a good angler or a good presenter, but that he's trying to give the viewer this larger than life character because he thinks that's what the viewer wants, and it's probably what his director is urging him to do.

Some will like the way he presents his programmes and some won't, but that's the name of the game, he'll never please everybody. I can't claim to be John's best mate but I do know him and have fished with him in the past. He's a decent bloke, an excellent angler and I enjoy his TV programmes.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I concur with that Graham. It's like lots of celebrities today, some people like them and some people hate them. I certainly do not hate John Wilson but I admit that some people may do.

But we must all realise that celebrities are products of the adulation of the masses.

I have enjoyed some of John Wilson's programs, his experiences of catching fish on the Zambezi took me back.

It was never my intention to appear to be pompous. If this has been the case, thenI apologise.

J

John McLaren

I enjoy John's programmes and I have a high regard for what he has done in the angling media world, but I think that his eccentricities have grown over the years - but then mine probably have as well. Keeping fish out of the water for too long seems to be a common problem with television anglers - because showing the catch off is necessary for the cameras I suppose.

The one thing that does annoy me about John Wilson is his insistence on making pike "Tail-walk", I'm no expert but it strikes me that this is achieved by putting more strain on the fish than is necessary to bring them to net. If they do it during the fight fine, but I don't think we should be making fish "perform" in this way.

blankety blank

Reaction score
The best things about John Wilson are firstly that he updated "Where to fish in Norfolk and Suffolk", which is a mine of useful information, and secondly thathehas managed to make a handsome living through involvement in the sport he loves. Good on him for that, I'm not jealous, honestly!

If takes a very special type of famous person to be on "top form" the whole time, and surely there are those who have met him and caught him on a bad day (I have myself come to that) but I for one am glad he has made his programmes and written his books.

Big respect to him for designing the avon quiver too. I have a pair of the early versions, and they are wonderful rods. They are almost good enough to forgive him for putting his name on that ghastly "Six-Shooter" reel.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
His laugh bugs me a bit, but I can put up with it because he is a brilliant angler.

I think the best ever episode was the bream from the boat, he didnt laugh a lot during that one..........I think he was blown away by the bream he was catching and rightly so.

I like him.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
HELP!!! ANYONE who knows about such things I have opened up this thread but the Box used for the answers is just a box-it does not have the usual bits and pieces and the type face is odd!! (The type face is similar to that when you make amendments!) Obviously I have done something to cause this change-ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!

Strangely enough it all looks okay when the 'Submit message'button is pressed!

Windy

Reaction score
Is this thread some clever attempt to pre-empt or prevent JW's much rumoured appointment as the Marsbars successor ?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Ha, ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,

ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha, what a clonker Rodney.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
It's sooooo nice when people laugh a bit......and how the hell are you today Graham W...............hope you all have anice weekend!!