John Wilson makes me cringe!

shotto

Reaction score
Am I the only one who watches Wilson with the sound turned off?

He only has about 3 phrases and the rest of the time giggles like a nut case! He seems to takes twice the required time to land the fish so he can prattle on about how well the (insert name of water and species) fight.

My old dad would have wackd me round the head if I kept fish out of the water that long too!

am I a heritic?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
In a word "YES".

There is little enough angling on the box as it is. I think he's a pretty good presenter. He seems genuinely interested and competent at what he does. That bl**dy laugh does grate a bit though.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The problem with old jolly Johnny Wilson is that he is a product of your average Joe Soap angler. The way he acts is what Joe Soap wants, otherwise he would have never got where he did.

He does not appeal to the more serious angler, in fact I guess he would agree with what I have just said.

Muffin

Reaction score
If you watch his older TV progs/videos he never used to be quite so annoying, but his recent TV shows even turn an avid Wilson fan to turn him off!

There is always the mute button!

S

Shrek

I think he's great and an excellent ambassador for the sport, regardless of the discipline.

I remember many hours spent round my mates house ('cos he had Sky and we didn't) watching Go Fishing and enjoying every minute of it. He was a great inspiration to me when I was first starting out coarse fishing, and I'm sure he is the same to many others.

You many not like the man's eccentricities, but you can't knock what he's done for the sport at all, IMHO!!!

kcon1

Reaction score
Yeah he's great, but has anyone noticed his annoying habit of stroking the fish he catches with dry hands??

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
John Wilson used to be a matchmen, and fished alot around this area,

He gave up the match fishing, and turned to what he does now. Own's his own tackle shop and lakes.

The laugh seems more put on these days, good Angler but Hayes and Brown are much better.

Most of those who watch him will never get to fish the places he does, at home or abroad,

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
"He is the product of your average Joe soap angler"

Do you mean people like you Ron or do you consider yourself a cut above the average angler (whatever that is)?

What a pompous ass you are at times Ron, you leave yourself open to ridicule with ridiculous statements like that.

John Wilson is probably not the best angler in the world but there again nobody on here is either, what he is though is a good all round angler who shares his enthusiasm with "ordinary" folks like us and if you don't like him then there is always the off button option.

Muffin

Reaction score
It takes all sorts to make the world as my Gran used to say, bless her heart...............

lol!

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Okay, so I mocked his laugh, but there is nothing else to mock the guy for. I've enjoyed his programs including some fishing that I have never done or are going to do. He's good entertainment and from what I have seen of him at shows, he's nice guy.

Matt Hayes and Mick Brown, give me Mick Brown any day.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Graham-bad day was it?/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

What you don't understand is that Ron is(probably) a close friend(note the'Johnny'bit)so can suggest Johno is an'average angler'/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Note to Ray Daywalker-I hope youv'e noticed my change in attitude and now enjoying the'laugh'/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif!!!

Like him or not,he is a pretty good angler in my opinion and if I meet my maker with his catches under my belt I would be more than pleased.......

Graham(again)-perhaps we need a day out with Ron followed by a decent glass of claret.................................things can only get better!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Sorry Graham but in calling me a pompous ass, you really have no idea of what you are talking about!

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
When i was younger and angling on the telly was rarer than hens teeth,i couldn`t wait for "Go Fishing" to come on the t.v every week andi still watch John Wilsonon cable tv with avid intrest today.

So his laughing and cackling doesn`t appeal to everyone and i suppose the same can be said for Rex hunt but give the blokes their dues,they give pleasure to many veiwers,kids look up to them etc... but most of all they enjoy what they are doing !!!

We all have the choice to turn over the channel when they are on.....do it if you don`t like what you see .

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

The problem with old jolly Johnny Wilson is that he is a product of your average Joe Soap angler. The way he acts is what Joe Soap wants, otherwise he would have never got where he did.

He does not appeal to the more serious angler, in fact I guess he would agree with what I have just said. </blockquote>
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Sorry Graham but in calling me a pompous ass, you really have no idea of what you are talking about!</blockquote>

I have to agree with Graham wholeheartedly.

You can talk like a pompous ass at times, Ron. I'm sure it slips out without much thought, but you do like to think yourself a cut above the rest. You may be, I've never had the pleasure of meeting you despite our conversations on the blower, but don't go denigrating people who have done nothing but try to improve the popularity of this sport.

Yes, he has some quirky ideas, but I like that in a person. Shows he's thinking outside the box and he's the best ambassadeur of the sport we've had for many years. His shows (and I do miss them since we dumped Sky) are a good mix of fishing and nature.

Yes, John (Chuckles) Wilson is the man as far as I'm concerned!

"It's a clonker ....... Well, it's not as big as I first thought. ....... It's minute. ........... Look at that, predation in miniature. Ha-hah -hahahahah"

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Tee-Cee,

Much more fun isnt it mate, mix it with the members and all will be fine, chill out and enjoy the best fishing website there is.

E

EC

To my way of thinking,JW wasn't a product of your average Joe Soap angler at all Ron.John Wilson 'got where he did' because Anglia TV wanted a half decent localall rounder to make a telly programme.This they then did for many many years because oftheshows ratings, nothing to dowith what Joe Soap angler wants!You see Ron, at its peak, the show was watched bymorenon anglers than anglers. Thismeant that many many new series' were commissioned. As such JW succesfully and virtually single handedlyfronted televised angling to the masses, anglers and non anglers alike.

John Wilson is and probably will remainthe most famous British angler ever, and rightly so. He's portrayed the sport in a more positive light to non anglersthan all of ushere put together.

So are you a close friend then Ron or what, only I thought you'd know a little about the showsratings and the like?