Rain or not...

fishplate42

Reaction score
...I am going fishing next week. For far too long I have avoided fishing in the rain. I have lots of wet weather gear but I tend to use it in case it rains during a session. Well next week I am going to man-up, dig out the wet gear and go fishing whatever the forecast. So many times I have not gone fishing because rain was forecast and when it came to it, the weather was not that bad. How many of you avoid the rain?

I am sure the fish don't mind getting wet...

Ralph ;)

Keith M

Reaction score
I used to go rain or shine regardless of the weather and I often had a good day in the rain except for when it ran off the road surfaces or cooled the water temperature a little too much, but since I’ve retired I can now go any time that I want to, and at a moments notice, so I now tend to go whenever the weather conditions look favourable and I won’t get a soaking.

I don’t mind fishing in the occasional shower but if it’s coming down in bucketfuls then I’ll just wait till the weather conditions are more favourable.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I have commented on various posts and in various ways that if we wait for supposedly perfect weather conditions, we would not go fishing very often! Now if I decide to go I do so regardless of the weather except for extreme cold or heavy rain and wind at the time of going! I have a decent brolly and a Trakker tempest brolly so I can cope with anything really! The fishing is another matter!:wh

wetthrough

Reaction score
I'll avoid the rain if I can, like most people I suspect but it won't stop me going unless it's really cold as well. The chair getting wet would stop me from going two days on the run as I can't get it dry (can't get on with brollies) but I have another chair on the way:)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Forecast is for rain and a cold 12 degrees Tuesday, come Thursday, Friday and Saturday it’s warm and dry...... no brainer in my book.

john step

Reaction score
Today I sat under my brolly and it never stopped. If I had to wait for decent weather at the moment I would never go.
It must make a lot of difference if someone has nowhere to hang wet clothing and tackle to dry.
Fortunately stuff dries in my garage pretty quickly.

fishplate42

Reaction score
What has been happening to me lately is that I have planned to go and then the weather has changed so I put it off. By the time the weather has got better I find something else has taken presidents and I miss out. As John said it is supposed to be good on Thursday. I had decided I was going on Tuesday so normally I would put it off.

Today I have decided that I am not going to be put of by a spot of rain, 11 or 12º is fine by me and the wind is not to strong, so I am going regardless... You never know, I might go on Thursday as well :cool:

Ralph.

seth49

Reaction score
When I went last Tuesday it turned out to be rain all day when it started instead of the light showers it promised, all of my gear was wet when I got home and needed drying.
Don’t like drying things in the house, so I just put my hold-all and bag in my room near the radiator, everything else went in the shed, and I put the dehumidifier I have in with them, that worked everything was dry later the next day.

To be honest I don’t like fishing in the rain, if it’s windy it gets on my glasses and makes it difficult to watch a float or a tip, as others have said, now I’m retired I just pick the better days, I have a good brolly and waterproofs, but I’d sooner fish without needing them.

B

binka

Fortunately stuff dries in my garage pretty quickly.

My boiler is in the garage (no not that one, she's out fetching the takeaway) and it keeps the air nice and dry which helps a lot with wet gear even in the depths of winter.

Regarding rain dodging, I will do it on occasion if I have the choice on back to back days but generally it doesn't bother me and there's something quite nice about sitting under a brolly, nice and dry, whilst the elements do their worst.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I am not keen on it raining when I am setting up, It can do what it wants once I am set up and everything
is in its place such as pole rollers and feeder rest, and bait etc on side trays on seatbox, I have a good set of PI
waterproofs, flatback brolly and a side tray that will take 6 one pint bait tubs with a zip around lid,

steve2

Reaction score
When I fished for a team I had to be out in all weather rain, sleet, snow, now I look outside and say there is always tomorrow.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I am not keen on it raining when I am setting up...

No, I agree wholeheartedly. I will take minimal gear if it is raining or threatening to rain. I will also take one of my lightweight chairs so I can move about easily. I will also go to a fishery where there is plenty of cover. A float rod, a feeder rod and a tele-pole will cover most things that I want to catch. I may not even take a tackle bag to the bank, just a small plastic box with a few essentials. I can always leave some spare gear in the van.

The last few times I have taken minimal gear with me I have had great fun... Maybe there is a message there :thumbs:

Ralph.

xenon

Reaction score
No, I agree wholeheartedly. I will take minimal gear if it is raining or threatening to rain. I will also take one of my lightweight chairs so I can move about easily. I will also go to a fishery where there is plenty of cover. A float rod, a feeder rod and a tele-pole will cover most things that I want to catch. I may not even take a tackle bag to the bank, just a small plastic box with a few essentials. I can always leave some spare gear in the van.

The last few times I have taken minimal gear with me I have had great fun... Maybe there is a message there :thumbs:

Ralph.

yes, I think there is. I have definitely pared down the amount of stuff I cart around with me as time goes by-cannot say it's affected my catches, such as they are, much.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
If I have a match its lots of gear, now I have gone basic if going pleasure fishing, rod, something to sit on bag of bits and bait, landing net, or sometimes take pole instead of rod, Still catch, enjoy more, and quicker to set up.

carpinbob

Reaction score
I am not keen on it raining when I am setting up, It can do what it wants once I am set up and everything
is in its place such as pole rollers and feeder rest, and bait etc on side trays on seatbox, I have a good set of PI
waterproofs, flatback brolly and a side tray that will take 6 one pint bait tubs with a zip around lid,

I'm the same.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just spent an hour in the garden and it's really horrible out there. It must be something phycological, 8 degrees at the end of April feels a lot worse than 8 degrees in December.

I'm a suvern softie, won't catch me fishing in this.

nottskev

Reaction score
Just spent an hour in the garden and it's really horrible out there. It must be something phycological, 8 degrees at the end of April feels a lot worse than 8 degrees in December.

I'm a suvern softie, won't catch me fishing in this.

Nor me! I fished all through the winter, but I've had enough of it now. The garden's full of new leaves and blossom, but this weather is a grim backdrop. Tomorrow looks the same, plus heavy rain. Maybe Tuesday......

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm hoping to go Thursday..........and Friday...........and Saturday, WEATHER PERMITTING!

mikench

Reaction score
Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and Saturday as it's a bank holiday! I am preparing some large hemp seeds in a flask and am going to make some polenta paste!!!!