Guess the weight?

Keith M

Reaction score
At the start of the river season I regularly tend to over estimate my barbel which is why I have to weigh most of them at the start of the season; and size for size they just seem to fight a lot harder than the Carp that I’d recently had from stillwaters plus they just look like muscle bound torpedos.

Keith

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
On one of my local ponds where the best roach I've ever seen/caught is 1-6 I once had an excited angler come round to say his mate had caught a '2lb roach'. As such a fish would easily be a venue record I traipsed round the pond with my scales to carefully weigh a 1-1 RUDD!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I tried a guess your weight machine it said "one at a time please"

I'll get my coat shall I ?

Yes....I think you probably should !

Similar to Mark's story I once walked a very long way on the River Kennet in order to see a brace of 3lb roach....which both turned out to be chub and I doubt either would have made 2-8 !

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'd go for a combination of roach and also with Skip on the 'down to the individual angler rather than the species'.

Keith M

Reaction score
After a stocking of Roach from a trout fishery a few years ago at our estate lake, I had some nice Roach; the three largest of which were between 1lb 4oz and 1lb 12oz; but within a day or two our club secretary had told everyone he’d met that I had caught at least 5 Roach of over 2lb.

The secretary who’s now deceased was well known for his exaggerating but was a great guy nonetheless as long as you took everything he said with a pinch of salt.

Keith

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
As a lad I saw some pound and pound-and-a-half roach weighed (sadly, I had no part in their capture), so when a man came round asking all and sundry if they had a spring balance, because he'd just caught a roach that might be three pounds, I dug out my Little Samson four-pounds scale and we set off to weigh Leviathan. "Pound and a half", I thought, at first sight, and the scales confirmed this. The poor chap looked crestfallen and puzzled, saying "It looked much bigger than the two-pounder I caught last week!"

Gudgeon - at about six inches, they seem to change from a roughly triangular cross-section to an almost square one; this should mean that beyond six inches they will get much heavier for a relatively small increase in length. It wouldn't surprise me if the record was only about eight inches long - does anyone know?

ian g

Reaction score
For me it has to be perch , they must be hollow as really big looking fish weigh so light. Another thing with weighing fish is how many people you see weighing a fish in a landing net then forgetting to deduct the weight of the net . To be fair they're only kidding themselves.

dicky123

Reaction score
Did see a wonderful picture of a 5lb 11oz Perch last week. It looked the weight easy, wonderful fish from the River Derwent.

silvers

Reaction score
A foulhooked one!
I had a decent barbel last November that was hooked in the pectoral ..... I thought it would go over 11, just an ounce over 10.
I’ve been matchfishing for donkey’s years, so am pretty confident that I usually underestimate rather than over (just to avoid the inevitable **** taking)!!!
I would agree that decent perch look huge for their weight.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
For me it's got to be Carp.

I very seldom carry scales unless i am going somewhere that has an reputation for unuseually large fish .

Hence when i fish certain parts of the local canal by me i take the scales i have had wieghed on the scales rudd to 3lb9oz but normally it is more of an guestimate not normally too far out if i do check if i say around 1lb then it is within an ounce or four so am quite happy to report as i do and on the low side as a habit ..

PG ...