Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    binka Guest

Default Guess the weight?

What would you say is the most over guestimated of fish when it comes to weights?

I’m going firmly with the Perch, especially after a walk around some local lakes yesterday soon met with yet another (sigh!) angler who had caught a four pounder just the other week.

I asked if he weighed it but he didn’t, adding that it was easily four pounds though.

This seems to happen to me on so many waters and if I were to believe every account it would seem that four pound Perch are ten a penny in these parts.

I’m with Dick Walker and I do think a good Perch looks very big for its weight, I reckon eels could run them a close second for an overly optimistic attempt at a guess.

What d'ya reckon?

Default Re: Guess the weight?

Definitely perch look bigger than they weigh, pike also are a prime candidate their length seems to make them look heavier.

Carp! They barge in when not wanted, fight like stink and then weigh 4lb when you remain convinced they will be in double figures! Apothrycal tales by fishermen are legend!!!

Definitely the perch, nobody believes that's a five pounder in my avatar.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

I think the overestimation of weight is more often down to the individual angler rather than the species. Some people are very good at estimating weights [ I'm confident enough to say I'm one of them ] and others are just plain rubbish. Whether they are just not very good at it or deliberately rubbish is quite another matter.

I'd go for roach. So many anglers say, or even write, that they had x number of roach "up to a pound". Judging by what I see on the bank, where I'm often fishing for roach, some anglers have a tendency to categorise roach as small enough to swing, big enough to net, then zooming up to "a pound" without stopping at 12 or 14 oz. Relatively few of the many roach I catch get to that weight.

Blog Entries

Fish from different water of the same species can be confusing, barbel I caught from a small river were double figure length if they were say from the trent but weighed a couple of pounds less, time of year can also affect the weight to size ratio before/after spawning for example although that should be apparent from the condition of the fish. Of course there is the wishful thinking angler that always wants to fool himself into believing a fish is bigger than it is, could be down to lack of experience with larger fish or having knicker elastic in their scales

How much a fish fights is no indication of what it might weigh when its landed, smaller barbel often give a harder fight that bigger ones, individual fish within the same species often fight better than others from that species (3 shredded wheat syndrome)

Also the genetics of a fish can mean that certain groups weigh more/ less for their size, its seen in all of nature where the strongest are usually dominant and get the most food to build muscle, imo the best indication of a fishes weight is in its broadness not length.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Blog Entries

Roach for me. Can't remember how many times I've seen and heard anglers put a forefinger in the crook of their arm and say stuff like "big dog roach" or "Had three this big , all over two pounds" Asked if they were weighed , no is invariably the answer..
    It makes me pee, any roach from my fingertips to my elbow would break the currant record out of sight.
    I often hazard a guess before weighing a big roach and it's so easy to get it wrong
    By several ounces at times

Definitely roach. The amount of times I've seen people catch a 10/12oz roach and say " ooh that's a pound"

Roach and perch but all my 5lb Bream look like they should weigh a lot more.
    Pike can be can also highly over guesstimated especially if you rely on the out of date Mona scale for length to weight.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast