Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paste

Default Paste

Today I made some paste using polenta instead of the recommended semolina! The tip was in the AT this week! I doubt it will be successful so if the birds like it they can have it! Polenta is cornmeal whereas semolina is wheat! Now I know!

What pastes are recommended for either on the hook or wrapped around a pellet?

I have tried a sonubaits fibre paste which feels yucky and hardly seems to break down on the hook or feeder!

Default Re: Paste

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Today I made some paste using polenta instead of the recommended semolina! The tip was in the AT this week! I doubt it will be successful so if the birds like it they can have it! Polenta is cornmeal whereas semolina is wheat! Now I know!

What pastes are recommended for either on the hook or wrapped around a pellet?

I have tried a sonubaits fibre paste which feels yucky and hardly seems to break down on the hook or feeder!
    I bought a little coffee grinder from Lidl - I think it was a Seth post put me onto it - and I grind up any proprietory pellets - halibut pellets, krill pellets, whatever - and mix the powder with egg to make up a paste. ( To keep it off your hands when you're mixing it, you can put the powder and the egg in a small plastic bag, and mix them from the outside by squeezing and squidging them together) It's handy to wrap a pellet for chub or barbel, or just on the hook for tench, if you're floatfishing close in, and I'd guess pellet wrapped in paste would catch carp on some of your local waters.

I've tried paste for the first time this season and been using Dynamite Extreme paste which I've mixed with Angel Delight butterscotch flavour. From what I read it's a bit too early in the season for paste but I have had instant success, that's if you call catching bream a success.

Very easy to make up and moulds around a pellet nicely. Also nice for making up small balls with chunks of meat or pellet inside to get down on the bed quickly.

Available at Go Outdoors too, always a bonus with the discount card.
    Last edited by s63; 29-04-2018 at 16:41.

What angel delight!

In the day I did pretty well with standard custard powder bread paste when fishing for tench (not too bad for roach and dare I say, bream) and this I fished on a hair with the paste wrapped around a small cork ball over dense weed. With a bit of effort it is easy to judge size of cork against amount of paste to end up with an almost neutral density bait that wavers just off bottom or sits 'on' the weed. Best in high summer, though IMHO

Worked well and induced the occasional screamer of a run! Done similar with meat over said cork ball as well.....a fuff, but possible!

Blog Entries

Gbp-- ground bait paste as in simple medium ground dry bread.
    Used to be deadly on the Witham match scene for some. Won a couple of events myself with it back in the late sixties. One on the Witham itself and another on the Coronation cut near Spalding.
    Also used it with great success on the tidal Trent to take some big catches of (yes, I dare say it lol) Bream, the odd roach, carp and even a pike.
    It was always referred to as "puddin" back 7n the day, good bait.
    Last edited by flightliner; 30-04-2018 at 07:55.

As a kid we used to make just ordinary flour paste and it never fished as well as bread, my theory its the yeast in bread that attracts fish, we cannot smell it but I think they can. With that in mind a couple of years ago I experimented with mixing some fermented yeast on maggots and what a difference it made. However, it was all small stuff and I used to dip bread in it as well to enhance the yeast smell which seemed to improve it but hard to say how much.
    A quick and easy cheap paste are those jars of paste in super markets mixed with flour till you get a nice stiff ball of it, the salmon paste one was exceptional good for carp on a couple of commercials. The ingredients read like a ready made anglers bait, paprika, salt etc and yeast I think cant quite remember and I nice bit of fish oil that sits on top of the jar when you open it.
    Lots to choose from, beef, chicken, crab, shrimp; shrimp was quite good as well for carp..I used to get a good orange sized ball of it from a jar and some flour, .50p a ball approx and it lasted quite well. I used to take two or three along with my usual baits. No good on the river though, eels! But if eels are not a problem - who knows.
    Whether it would be any good wrapped around pellets I wouldn't know either..
    Last edited by markg; 30-04-2018 at 08:22.

Mark, those pastes were/are excellent. I know the Shippams factory in Chichester has closed down now. If anybody has their own angling blender then they could do worse than mincing up sprats and worms and mixing with breadcrumb for an inexpensive alternative but it wouldn't be for the faint hearted.

Most years, I stay with a friend's family in Lithuania. They have a pond on their land, as is common there, which holds carp and tench for the table. I get sent down to the lake with instructions to come back with a "family size fish". The bait is always a paste made from flour, water and honey by my friend's mum. I have to say that carp and tench are acquired tastes that I haven't acquired, but I can't fault the paste.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast