It's Got To Stop!!

• Thread starter Baz (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

Baz (Angel of the North)

I was having a chat with Eddie C last night.

Amongst other things, we discussed slagging tv celebrity anglers off on forums.

Ed came up with a good point that with this recession thingy taking a bite out of everybody and everything. We should really be more careful in what we are saying. And I agree with him

It doesn’t matter a jot if we like somebody or not, the point is that the powers that be can see what we are saying. And when they start to feel the pinch, they could think well stuff it, we’ll pull the plug on certain angling shows or anglers. And that could include anglers in the angling press. Or the anglers themselves could think, that's it, I've had enough.

The knock on affect, is that advertisers could then see a drop in certain Angling websites and decide not to bother advertising with the sites anymore. I think you will have got the bigger picture by now.

However.

What I would like to see with celebrity angling shows<u> in the future,</u> is for the angler to explain to us why he is fishing a certain area, why is he using the set up that he is, a bit more about using watercraft, in depth a lot more about why and what they are doing. And we all know that everybody thinks differently don't we?

It doesn’t matter if they catch anything or not. The reasoning behind it all would benefit us all a lot more.

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
If the thread that prompted your post is the one that I think, upon reading it I was reminded of my upbringing where I was told "If you haven't got anything positive to say, keep your mouth shut!". As I'm one of the biggest whiners going it obviously didn't work, but it's the thought that counts.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Geoff,

The problem with that is that one man's positive is another man's negative.

As we still live in a democracy each is entitled to air his view.

Baz and EC,

The only criteria for pulling a programme is: dwindling budgets or viewer figures. In fact, the more controversial the person or the criticism then usually the better for the viewing figures.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Face it chap - the only way angling programmes will get popular is by involving celebs - Tobsin Green tried it

BUT what it take would be a "Named" angler fishing each week with a celeb

off top of my head Hayes and Brown with Gordon Ramsey, Wayne Rooney, Bernie Clifton, Piers Morgan, Jordan, Clarkson ect

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
Just a thought, surely chris tarrant would be the best person for an angling show, a highly skilled fisherman (from what i have read/seen) and a massive name in the world of television.

Now if he did a semi instructional series where he visited areas and fished with a popular local angler, for a different species each week or whatever, surely the appeal would bewiderthan just us anglers???