Is this legal

thecrow

Reaction score
Saw this contraption on the bay and was wondering if it is even legal to sell them, not a clue how it works. That's if the link works :)

Automatic fishing hook at top speed god hook a hook a lazy person all the water%

Nope as usual on here my links don't work when they work everywhere else :mad:

Another Dave

Reaction score
Still none the wiser

s-l1600.jpg

john step

Reaction score
Looking at it I reckon the hooklink would go through the eye and attach to the right hand side of the swivel. A bite would need to then pull the swivel off that bar pointed downward and the wire spring would open and set the hook OR RIP THE LIPS OFF ANY UNFORTUNATE FISH CAUGHT THIS WAY. You would have to be some sort of sad individual or a fisher for the pot to use one I feel.
I doubt its legal.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’m not sure but it seems to be an automatic hook setter which when triggered springs out and sets the hook?

A silly contraption that will hook more fools than fish I wager :):confused:

Has anyone actually seen one?

NB: I’ve just noticed that John had already suggested the same or similar.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I doubt it's illegal but why bother! IT defeats the object of catching a fish with as little damage to the fish as possible and returning it in its original condition! Fishing for food and needing to feed a family puts a different complexion on its use and efficacy!

Another Dave

Reaction score
One day they'll feature a pic of someone actually holding a rod properly.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I used to lay line for the pot a long time ago, a series of about 20/30 baited hooks pegged out at low tide, wait for the incoming tide to cover them and go back 12 hours later and collect your fish. I had some good fish and with the cost of them economically viable. However, many of the hooks would just be stripped of bait and one or two straightened out and they were big strong hooks! I used to try and imagine a design that would make sure any fish got hooked, usually some kind of spring mechanism that would open out and hook the fish but in the hook itself and I never came up with anything.
If this works and suitable for the sea I can imagine the results would be better but for pleasure fishing its got to be a no and I am guessing its aimed at that.

Last edited: