Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default drennan 17ft acolyte rod

just watched the drennan video alan scotthorne testing out the 17ft acolyte rod on the river seven at shrewsbury after him saying what better control it gives you with the extra lengh using a stick float does this mean all 13ft 14ft 15ft rods are obsolete how light and versatile the rod is he was fishing in perfect flat calm conditions

Default Re: drennan 17ft acolyte rod

I fished with my mates 17' Acolyte last week, I found it pretty heavy, after half an hour I'd had enough.
    There again I'm a 10 stone weakling...

Have the accy ultra 15ft. , which feels like a regular 13 ft. think the extra 2 ft would be a step to far, weight and balance wise (but not used it so cannot say for sure)

I do have a 17' Acolyte. For anyone that finds it heavy or unbalanced, I'd suggest that you avoid every other 17' rod, and quite a few 15' rods, like the plague. I've never handled a lighter or better balanced 17' rod, and I've tried and owned a few. I'd never used a 17' rod before that I was entirely happy having "in hand" for more than two or three hours without a break. Fortunately, I rarely fish really long sessions, but I have managed a good five hours with the Acolyte.

Sam. I love my 14' Just recently I watched a Drennan video of the 17' being put through it's paces on the river Throop. He lost 2 fish out of 4, not a good advert for the rod in my view.

My own view is this, a company makes a good rod, like the 14' that now has an excellent reputation with many people. Then they add more rods to the range, but they new quite hit the spot the 14' has. All sorts of reasons why, but it's often the way. I own a 15' and compare to the 14' it feels a lot heavier, good balance is the other part of the puzzle. But just my own thoughts.

Have to agree the extra length is very handy. What size and weight of reel also makes a difference too. My new centreline weighs in at 11oz. Fixed spool is 9oz. What do you use Sam out of interest?

Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by dicky123 View Post
    Sam. I love my 14' Just recently I watched a Drennan video of the 17' being put through it's paces on the river Throop. He lost 2 fish out of 4, not a good advert for the rod in my view.

The Dave Theobald video? It's not a 17', it's a 15' Plus. However, my reaction is somewhat different. It would have been very easy for them to edit the losses out. I'd rather see an honest reality. The difference being that I don't see it as any particular indication of rod's failings, just a "that's fishing" scenario. Besides, I'm rather familiar with both 15' Acolytes and know that there's no issue with either model. Until watching the video, I was rather puzzled that someone might want to take a 17' Acolyte to a big chub venue. To my mind, it wouldn't be a particularly sensible choice. During the closed season, I've pushed mine a bit more than I'd ever expect to on the river. I've given it a whizz fishing for gravel pit tench. It coped, just as I'd expect it to cope with the odd decent chub on a river, but it won't be my fist choice when specifically targeting either.

My own view is this, a company makes a good rod, like the 14' that now has an excellent reputation with many people. Then they add more rods to the range, but they new quite hit the spot the 14' has. All sorts of reasons why, but it's often the way. I own a 15' and compare to the 14' it feels a lot heavier, good balance is the other part of the puzzle. But just my own thoughts.

I don't really get 14' rods. For me, they are neither nowt nor somat. If I had to buy just one length of rod, it would be 13'. Given a choice of any other length, the next choice would be 15'. In a ridiculous horde of float rods, I have just one 14' rod. The only reason I bought it was to complete a set of, long discontinued, rods that I'm especially fond of. Whilst I'm happy for you that you think the 14' Acolyte is the cream of the crop, I don't for one moment believe that it is intrinsically superior to Acolytes at other lengths. That's not to say that 14' isn't the perfect length for you, and maybe others.

Have to agree the extra length is very handy. What size and weight of reel also makes a difference too. My new centreline weighs in at 11oz. Fixed spool is 9oz. What do you use Sam out of interest?

Depends on the rod in question. The lightest fixed spool (Stradic Ci4+ 2500 FB) and centrepin (Hardy Conquest) I have come in at the 8oz mark. I consider these too light for most 15'+ rods. Only the lightest and very best balanced 13' rods can wear them comfortably. The heaviest I use regularly is around the 12oz mark, though I do have the odd closed face reel that comes in at a fairly hefty 14oz. 10 to 12oz reels are the ones I'm most comfortable with, unless the rod is 10/11'. I don't get the obsession many have with tiny reels (sub 2500) or really light reels. Unless a rod is exceptionally well balanced to start with 10oz is as light as I'd want for anything but 10 or 11' rods.

Funny how we all have such varying opinions on stuff.
    I find the extra foot of lenght the 14ft rod has on the 13ft can make a huge difference in use.
    I find the biggest plus side of having the extra foot in length is when fishing across river on a windy day (mainly when the wind is a downstream one) and trying to keep your line behind your float so as to keep it trotting on track and not have line pulling it across the flow.
    Maybe a 15ft rod would be better still if it handled (for me) the same as a 13 of 14 footer....unfortunately I haven't found a rod any longer than 14ft that handles anything like the shorter rods and that includes the very light (for lenght accy rods).
    After saying that i've only actually handled a 15ft accy in a shop so I suppose i'm just going off the first impression of it in my hand, maybe if I had it out on the bank I would form another opinion. To be honest I just don't fancy spending money to find out as i've done that on far too many occassions and i've no sooner bought a rod and then shortly after i'm trying to sell it at a loss.
    If drennan gave me one to trial before buying, now that would be great .

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    Funny how we all have such varying opinions on stuff.
    I find the extra foot of lenght the 14ft rod has on the 13ft can make a huge difference in use.
    I find the biggest plus side of having the extra foot in length is when fishing across river on a windy day (mainly when the wind is a downstream one) and trying to keep your line behind your float so as to keep it trotting on track and not have line pulling it across the flow.
    Maybe a 15ft rod would be better still if it handled (for me) the same as a 13 of 14 footer....unfortunately I haven't found a rod any longer than 14ft that handles anything like the shorter rods and that includes the very light (for lenght accy rods).
    After saying that i've only actually handled a 15ft accy in a shop so I suppose i'm just going off the first impression of it in my hand, maybe if I had it out on the bank I would form another opinion. To be honest I just don't fancy spending money to find out as i've done that on far too many occassions and i've no sooner bought a rod and then shortly after i'm trying to sell it at a loss.
    If drennan gave me one to trial before buying, now that would be great .
    This is the issue, you, and many others, come at longer rods from 13'. Not surprisingly, 14' offers a length advantage to you with barely any weight penalty. I've been a long term user of 15 and 17' rods. 14' offers me very little over a 13' rod and the increased benefits of 15' isn't too great a compromise for me. 14' ends up being a pointless no mans land. It might be different if I had to pick a compromise length or couldn't cope with 15'(+). There have been any number of rods over the years that wouldn't have been worth buying beyond 14', especially if you were trotting with them. With the Acolytes, I'm genuinely surprised when people moan about the weight of the 15'ers. There are plenty of 13' rods that are heavier and less well balanced, and I'm talking about modern rods, not antiques made of glass, metal or cane. The biggest problem I've had with Acolytes is that they've made me a wimp. I've a few 15 and 17' rods, that I used to use quite happily, that now feel overly heavy and unbalanced in comparison.

apropos of weight, have just been re-reading "Practical Angling" by the Trent Otter. He spends quite some time discussing the state of the art float rods of the time (construction, materials etc.) and mentions the very best rods should weigh no more than about 18 oz(?!) We don't know we are born, really.

I find the 15' Browning spliced-tip rod light and comfortable to use. Might be worth a look.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast