Long Trotting and the bulk shot dragging.

dicky123

Reaction score
As I'm no expert by a long way, I need to ask you experienced guys something I don't quite understand? I've read and been told about dragging shot along the bottom when using a heavy stick, or Avon style float.

One angler I saw was suggesting he dragged all the bulk shot on a loafer along the bottom, so that would be several like 6 AAA. The swim was shallow maybe 3-4 feet and the shot was 18'' from the hook. I don't really get this to be honest, he would be holding back hard, so the current would be forcing the shot over a smooth bottom. My understanding of dragging shot is a few number 8s maybe, with the bulk above it, maybe 2 foot above those number 8s?
If you're dragging shot like that how do you avoid false bites, rubbish on the bottom etc.

Take a look at Danny's blog with him fishing for Chub on You-Tube. Also John Wilson fishing for Grayling (the new version) when he suggest that several shot grouped together are better than one, as they will roll along the bottom, clearly he is dragging the bulk of his shot too?

As I've not tried this, maybe is the explanation I don't understand. But if anyone could enlighten me, then great. Thanks all.

****y.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I wouldn't do much more than trip bottom with a properly trotted float. However, a well over depth top and bottom float, held back hard, can work very well.

YouTube

The truth is that a relatively benign bottom is required for any kind of overdepth float fishing. It's not something I do too often as much of my local river fishing is bedrock and large cobbles. Just tripping bottom is chancing your arm. Really dragging bottom will see you doing lots of rig tying and not much fishing. A really weedy or snaggy river can be just as problematic for overdepth fishing.

dicky123

Reaction score
Sam, thats just what I thought, the Trent would just eat hook links.

Thanks mate, have not seen the about before, will study it.

Regards.

Rich.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I very often dragg bottom in a river with a rocky bottom. I do get the odd few false bites when the shot have got caught up inbetween rocks etc,but unfortunatly that just comes with the territory. You need to read your float as it goes through the swim to get a mental picture of the bottom. Surprisingly it doesnt take many trotts through to find out where you need to hold back extra hard, or even hold back and pull the rod back a bit the get your weights over or round an obsticle and then you can release the tension and alllow the float to travel as before.
I practice both holding back just enough to get the float down the swim and also allowing the float to drag my baite etc along . Either way your bait and weights will be dragging the bottom.
If you allow the float to drag the weights along then you will get snagged many times more than if you keep control of the float on the trott through.
You just need to play about in each swim and get to know it. By doing this youll quickly find the best method for the swim in question.

I forgot to mention that I never plumb a river, I much prefer to guess the correct depth and alter my set up until I get the desired trott through. I reckon this method is much better than faffing about trying to plumb the depth as for the biggest parts rivers vary in depth even on a nice level stretch where it takes far less time and disturbance to get the correct depth by simply running your float through.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
****y, it's where on the Trent you're fishing that may be hampering your approach to what you're trying to accomplish .
There are miles of tidal reaches that are fairly level bottomed that allow any angler to fish overdepth, even with a floats bulk shot dragging on the bottom, wether it be an Avon type float or a waggler. Indeed the further downstream you go the less you will be bothered by any snags, loose rocks or anything else for that matter as it's mainly one of soft silt, sometimes sand, bedrock (rarely) and muddy Trent marl.
Check out the tides, look for one that's very low and walk the banks to find an area that gives the confidence to try out what you need to with confidence.

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
I'm a Trent man and even though I don't fish it as much as I'd like nowadays I'm still a trent guy.

My son and I have had many of argument over this, and will continue too :eek:mg: if the bottom allows going considerably over depth and 'dragging' your float through the swim can be deadly, you want your float set up so as if you give too much line your float drags under. It's a little of a art form but I've caught more big trent roach like this than any other method :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Regarding the video. Why a 15.5ft rod. Seems a strange length.

I suspect you'd have to ask Browning. They do three Sphere rods with spliced tips. Two are river rods at 13'6" and 15'6". The third is a canal/drain rod at 11'6".

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Regarding the video. Why a 15.5ft rod. Seems a strange length.

I'd say it's another angle to come at anglers in an effort to get sales.
I suppose if you already have 11, 12, 13 ,14, 15, 16, 17ft float rods you might be more tempted to buy rods of an inbetween lenght rather than buy more of the same :rolleyes:.