How long do worms last?

fishplate42

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I bought some worms (Lobs) today, while I was out fishing, with the intention of going after some perch, however the Tench, bream and roach kept me busy and I did not get around to using them. They came out of the fishery's fridge this morning. They are in a small round plastic container with a clip-on lid and filled with a soil-less compost.

Can I just put them back in my fridge for a week or so or will I have to do something with them?

I did try looking on-line but there are so much conflicting 'advice' I am now totally confused.

Ralph.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You could add some damp/wet newspaper or sphagnum moss. Keep them cool but not cold.
If you do that they'll outlast you! You can even feed em :).

fishplate42

Reaction score
You could add some damp/wet newspaper or sphagnum moss. Keep them cool but not cold.
If you do that they'll outlast you! You can even feed em :).

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have put them in the top of the fridge (the least cold shelf) will that be okay? I will add some newspaper tomorrow. I heard that they can be fed with instant potato powder - is that true? If not, should I feed them if I am keeping them for a week?

Sorry for so many questions but I don't want to kill them!

Ralph.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Ralph,
I've not heard of feeding worms on Smash (or similar) but some of the worm sellers recommend small amounts of cold cooked mashed potato. If you are feeling flush, you can buy worm feed, or even full worm care packs.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Ralph I feed mine on proper mashed potato, I have never tried the powdered stuff for them so I cant comment on that,
don't overfeed, only need a small dollop, I use sphagnum moss to keep them in, it seems to toughen the skin on the worms,
keep it slightly damp and check for the mash going off, and replace, Keep them cool and they will last for quite a while,
I used to keep them in old stone ornamental garden troughs in soil and the top of the trough covered, had no problems
with that way either, just remember to keep trough covered after you have had a few worms out, or the blackbirds will
think xmas has come early. If only keeping them for a week I wouldn't bother feeding them,
Get out on grass verges on a damp night and collect your own, on a good night a 3 pint bait box can be filled in an hour,

jasonbean1

Reaction score
my worms lasted about 20 mins last night before they rolled over stretched out and said goodbye...

forgot to put them back in the cool bag:(

fishplate42

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will be using them next week so it sounds like they should be okay in the top of the fridge until then.

Ralph.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Two weeks later... I forgot to take the worms with me last week :eek:mg:, so they were getting a bit restless by yesterday. Never the less, they lasted for two weeks without any extra food. Now I know I can keep worms for a couple of weeks at least. These have been kept on the top shelf of the fridge at 5ºC and they seem to be fine just kept in their original bedding with no food added. Mind you, they were be so hungry. I thought they might eat the perch!

I took them fishing yesterday and one of them met a nice looking tench. The survivors have now returned home where they are receiving treatment for post traumatic stress and enjoying a meal of mashed potato while chilling in the top of the fridge. I get the impression they are not too enthusiastic about the next trip, I caught them drawing lots... :)

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In my experience Ralph I have found that Dendrobaena worms outlast lobs significantly.

silvers

Reaction score
^^^^^^
this - I've still got 3 tubs of dendras that i put in the fridge last season (jan/feb this year).
However - I do find lobs and redworms to be more effective bait - but dendras are easier and cheaper to acquire for me (especially when it's so hot and dry).