Shimano rear drag reels

hague01

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
I am looking for any of the above in the Twin power C14 RA and Biomaster Ra series, but not the smallest 1500 versions.If anyone has any and willing to sell, subject to condition, I am keen to buy. Alec

sam vimes

Reaction score
As a big fan of the Twin Power Ci4 Tri-Drag, I'd think you'd be lucky to get hold of one now. They've been out of production for a good five years. Most of the very few that bought them won't part with them. No sensible amount of money would see me part with any of mine. I keep a good watch on ebay and various forums for the Twin Powers, but haven't seen any for quite some time. Strangely, despite looking for them, I never managed to get my hands on a Biomaster. They featured prominently in the catalogues of the time, but didn't seem to find their way into many shops.

If you don't have any luck, I'd suggest that you give the new Stradic Ci4+ RA serious consideration. Whilst I still prefer the Twin Power Ci4, I'd love it if the new Stradic spools could be fitted. The greater diameter spools (and good line clips) offer a significant improvement over the older, smaller, spools. The shallow match spool reducers are also an excellent feature.

Last edited:

hague01

Reaction score
Thanks Sam.
I went thro all the rear drag shimanos, from the exage to the stradic( white). I ended with 4 XT-RB's.( still use 2 4ks for carp!) I then went to Bios and have 7(dont laugh). There was a guy in Italy last year and i got 5 from him. He had loads,all new, but all gone now.I recon they are the nuts. I bought a stradic c14 ra 2500 this year which I still have.It doesn't hold a candle in my view to the bios. I would love to swap it for one with cash either way.By the way, I have just put a stradic 2.5 on the bio 2.5.Fits and vice versa.Amazed if they are not interchangeable. Line capacity given on spool is exactly the same too.
I remember the tri power blue ones.Johnson Ross had some, knocking them out i the end for 109 I think. Kicked myself for not buying.I also remember press reports saying no one needed 2 drags so i wonder if the negative comments killed them off!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thanks Sam.
I went thro all the rear drag shimanos, from the exage to the stradic( white). I ended with 4 XT-RB's.( still use 2 4ks for carp!) I then went to Bios and have 7(dont laugh). There was a guy in Italy last year and i got 5 from him. He had loads,all new, but all gone now.I recon they are the nuts. I bought a stradic c14 ra 2500 this year which I still have.It doesn't hold a candle in my view to the bios. I would love to swap it for one with cash either way.By the way, I have just put a stradic 2.5 on the bio 2.5.Fits and vice versa.Amazed if they are not interchangeable. Line capacity given on spool is exactly the same too.
I remember the tri power blue ones.Johnson Ross had some, knocking them out i the end for 109 I think. Kicked myself for not buying.I also remember press reports saying no one needed 2 drags so i wonder if the negative comments killed them off!

If the Stradic spool you have fits a Biomaster, I suspect you may have the multitude of Stradic models mixed up. There's no way on earth that a Stradic Ci4+ RA spool will fit a Biomaster of the same size (2500/3000/4000 etc). The current Stradic Ci4+ RA (linked in the previous post) has the higher diameter X-Ship rotors and spools (as does the GT RD). In many ways, the Stradic Ci4+ RA is a better reel than the Twin Power Ci4 RA. If it had the additional front drag it would be better than the Twin Power as far as I'm concerned.

Here's a pic of a couple of X-Ship type wide spools in comparison to standard sized spools from the same sized Shimano reels. I appreciate that it's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison with some being front drag, but it does show that the X-Ship type spools are a fair bit bigger than their standard equivalents.
20180629_125240.jpg
Top left = Stradic Ci4+ 2500 FB, Top right = Super GT 2500 RD
Bottom left = Twinpower Ci4 4000 RA, Bottom right = Stradic Ci4+ 4000 RA

I suspect the high price and seeming to be "gimmicky" killed the Twin Power. Lack of availability didn't help. I had to buy blind to try one and never got to see one in any of the shops I visit. I've long suspected that the vast majority of naysayers never even got to see one in the flesh, let alone actually use them. The fact that Shimano seem to have suffered a bit of customer negativity amongst match and general coarse anglers really hasn't helped. I don't think the way that Shimano uses the same names and confusing model number/letter designations for totally different reels helps either. There are a least three different current Stradic models. Some have an anti-reverse switch, some don't. Because folks can't easily tell which is which, they just end up avoiding the brand.

hague01

Reaction score
thanks Sam.
The stradic is the C14+ 2500 RA and the bio 2500 RA. Diameters of the spools are as your pic suggests.The stradic is 50 mm diameter across face of the spool and the bio 45. I dont like the handle operation of the Stradic with the reverse turn to collapse, plus if a meaty fish get on, the reel feels as though its seizing up whereas the bios or the old white stradics or XT-RB's never did. I feels as though the line is wrapped round the tip or something but its not and then its ok when the load shifts ie stress taken off ! I use mostly feeders these days! I plan to put the stradic on a short float rod for the future.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I dont like the handle operation of the Stradic with the reverse turn to collapse, plus if a meaty fish get on, the reel feels as though its seizing up whereas the bios or the old white stradics or XT-RB's never did. I feels as though the line is wrapped round the tip or something but its not and then its ok when the load shifts ie stress taken off !

The former is obviously a matter of taste, it's a feature I now prefer. I can understand exactly what you mean by the latter. The weight on the handle definitely feels a little heavier than some other Shimano models (including my Twin Powers). However, I find it more akin to the much vaunted original Japanese Stradic GTMs, which, for me, is no bad thing. I'm not much for legering, but when I do it's invariably with baitrunners. I've had some decent tench on my Stradic Ci4+ RA and not yet noticed any difference under load. I'd wonder if it may be worth you ringing the Shimano UK service centre for a chat. God alone knows where their contact details have gone, but you should be able to get in touch via Facebook.

hague01

Reaction score
You are probably right.. Reckon I will send it to Felindre as its out of warranty anyway and they were as good as gold. Will probably leave to back end of the year now and just use for light work.

hague01

Reaction score
Just spoken to F and they say probably a bearing problem so posting it to them tomorrow! Thanks Sam, that was the pro I needed. Still looking for the bios tho! regards Alec

mikench

Reaction score
First time out with my Stradic C14 4000 ra with the spare spool filled with the spool reducers and 4lb line and it performed very well with 8 perch struggling like mad against the fighting drag! Amazing what a 4oz perch can manage!:rolleyes:

Lovely light reel though! I shall report further when something far more substantial is attached!