Chest wader advice

Windy

Reaction score
Thinking of buying these, particularly as they offer a "full bodied" version (less sni-ggering at the back please)

NEOPRENE CHEST WADERS, BISON 5mm STANDARD OR FULL BODIED | eBay

Two things, they also offer effectively identical waders in 4mm neoprene as well as the 5mm.

The 5mm has muck boots fitted, which I would prefer, versus wellington boot bottoms on the 4mm.

I assume 5mm is more resistant to puncture and cracking etc, but is going to be warmer in summer weather ? ie. unwearable in this sort of weather...

Or is the 4mm just as resistant etc but more useable in summer weather ? But less useable in winter :eek:mg:.

Second, anyone bought any of these Bison brand waders and are they any good ?

stillwater blue

Reaction score
4mm neoprene waders are very uncomfortable in summer they're red hot, nice in winter though.

Breathable waders are the way forward in summer and then even they're bloody hot when you go much over 25°c, unless you're waist deep in water that is.

What's your budget?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Waders are pretty uncomfortable in the kind of weather we've been experiencing recently. My rubber/neoprene thigh waders were put away in favour of lightweight breathable over a month ago. A week or two back, I decided to risk a pair of shorts under them. I really did expect to get a bit chilly. To my surprise, I was anything but cold.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had neoprenes years ago and don't think i'd ever get anymore. I found them uncomfortable to wear and it felt like I was being constricted whilst wearing em.
I have some breathable waders and find them much more comfortable and just as warm in the depths of winter. The reason theyre so warm is because I wear thermal long johns etc as insulation and I find it works for me.
For the biggest part I wear thigh waders and have just had to throw away a pair of hunter streamfishers which have been hammered by me for over 10yrs!.....what a superb pair of waders they where.
I've replaced them with some Aigle thigh waders which up to now have been excellent, great to walk long distances in also.

Windy

Reaction score
Wasn't really seeking advice for use in this weather - when its like this a pair of shorts and a brief grimace as the family jewels hit the water is all I need...

Really looking for waders useable in more normal weather / autumn / spring, not keen on winter wading in anything !

Is there really a very significant difference between 4mm and 5mm neoprene ? Either in warmth or durability ?

PS. I have a 15 year old pair of size 8 Shakespeare neoprene waders that I have never worn. Bought them just before the heart attack, then put on weight post HA and never been able to get in to them since. Quite slim fit... that's my excuse anyway.

I have no idea if they are still watertight / wearable or just a waste of time but no use to me...

Free to any forum member willing to pay the post. PM me if you want them. Otherwise I shall just cut off the wellington boot bit and use them as such.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Each to their own but if I where to give you a reccommendation it would be to get material/breathable ones. You can vary your layers to suite the temps rather than being stuck with thick neoprene torture outfit! I prefer the sock footed waders also, the ones you need to put on a pair of wading bots.
I fancy a pair of the breathable waist waders.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I've had 4mm neoprene waders and they were uncomfortable in anything but winter, late autumn or early spring. Like tigger I wear breathable waders and vary layers depending upon temp and that's what I'd recommend too.