Zinger

Philip

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good Zinger ? ...I have gone through a few and none have been ideal.

Wish list...

- it needs to have a ratchet to stop the cord pulling back in after I extend it ...(with press button to release it)
- It needs to have a strong secure way of attaching to a bag or waist coat ...i.e not a naff pin that bends & eventually snaps off.
- A resonable length of cord available
- a secure way of attaching clippers, forceps etc to it that does not come undone on its own accord
- Size wise the smaller the better
- it should be made to last.

Happy to pay the going rate for a good one.

Thanks.

B

binka

I've had some minger zingers over the years, usually going with that 'doyng' sound which sounds like Zebedee from the Magic Roundabout has just arrived when the front cover pops off and the coil shoots out :eek:mg:

The best I've found is the Hardy, it doesn't have a ratchet stop but it's well built and robust with a good clasp which isn't prone to opening by itself and a good, strong pin which also stays closed...

They're not infallible and I'm on my second or third (over a number of years) but they have lasted me far longer than any other, I certainly wouldn't attach my Owners to some of the predecessor zingers I've had if I thought there was a chance they would become detached.

Failing that and given the quality of their forceps and scissors which I've recently bought I would be tempted to give the Dr Slick a go but I'm only guessing on that one.

mikench

Reaction score
A Hardy and almost Binka proof; what more do you want! The Shakespeare one isn't bad and not expensive! Having just checked it says Sigma on it but I am sure it's a Shakespeare.

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
A good fly fishing shop would be your best bet, they use a lot in fly fishing, never heard of one with a ratchet, would be handy though.
I just buy a couple from poundworld they do them with a pen attached, just remove the pens and fasten to my waistcoat , stitch the split ring to the waistcoat and attach scissors or forceps with a small carabiner clip.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can't say i've seen one with a ratchet but that would be good!
I have a few but never use em for several reasons. I gon't trust them incase they slip from my fingers and the disgorger or whatever shoots back and hits me in the eyeball which knowing my luck could well happen. I don't like things dangling about when I bend over etc either.
Regarding decent quality ones the better ones I have are Orvis and if I remember correctly the cord is a kind of wire.
I just stick to pockets, it's easier :)

seth49

Reaction score
Further to my original post, I was passing pound World today and they had a closing down sale on.
I got four more for a pound, should last me for a long while.

B

binka

Further to my original post, I was passing pound World today and they had a closing down sale on.
I got four more for a pound, should last me for a long while.

Bargain Keith!

Long live 'Four for a Pound World' :)

Philip

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

For anyone interested (and as we are talkng of pounds) ..one pound fishing tackle do a Zinger with a ratchet…it really is a useful feature to stop the cord pulling back in all the time. Unfortunatly this one is quite large & the quality is not the best hence why I am in the market for a new one..

EFT Handy Pin on Auto Adjust Zinger - One Pound Fishing Tackle

Regarding decent quality ones the better ones I have are Orvis and if I remember correctly the cord is a kind of wire.

Got to say I had an Orvis one and it was awful...although it didnt have wire it had a cord. It gave up zinging after literally the first trip and then the cord broke. I recall it came with some Orvis line clips & they were terrible too. Wasnt cheap either.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

For anyone interested (and as we are talkng of pounds) ..one pound fishing tackle do a Zinger with a ratchet…it really is a useful feature to stop the cord pulling back in all the time. Unfortunatly this one is quite large & the quality is not the best hence why I am in the market for a new one..

EFT Handy Pin on Auto Adjust Zinger - One Pound Fishing Tackle

Got to say I had an Orvis one and it was awful...although it didnt have wire it had a cord. It gave up zinging after literally the first trip and then the cord broke. I recall it came with some Orvis line clips & they were terrible too. Wasnt cheap either.

I forgot to mention the ones I have are old ones.
Sounds like your best bet is to stock up with a few of those cheap ones with the ratchet.

iain t

Reaction score
I've had 2 Greys one for a few years. No ratchet but strong and well made.