Worst monofilament lines?

Molehill

Reaction score
Perhaps unsuitable would be fairer, but there are often threads for " best line" so what do you avoid like the plague and why?

I found a spool of 8lb Berkley trilene sensation and used it last week, this stuff would not behave and was all over the place. I ran it out across a field and untwisted it, stretched it, took some off the spool to leave more lip and still it misbehaved at every chance. Is it me? Or perhaps a line manufactured for the US spinning market?

It will now be replaced with my recently purchased Daiwa.

theartist

Reaction score
Mt dad lost too many fish on the opening day despite having new line twice the strength as mine, need to find out what it was as it's abrasion resistance was woeful, I put it between my teeth and it broke too easily.

Think a lot of line is sold on the diameter to breaking strain ratio but what's the point of 8lb line if it's going to ping on a rush?

thecrow

Reaction score
Tried Sylcast years ago when I couldn't get Maxima, horrible stuff that broke like cotton, the spool was returned to a well known tackle shop in Coventry, would never recommend it to anyone, is it still available?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm taking the 5th on this one. I think everyone knows what I think of a very popular line.

That apart I would not touch any line by Berkeley with the proverbial barge pole. I have tried it in various incarnations....every one horrible.

Molehill

Reaction score
I'm taking the 5th on this one. I think everyone knows what I think of a very popular line.

That apart I would not touch any line by Berkeley with the proverbial barge pole. I have tried it in various incarnations....every one horrible.

Thanks for the resurrance, it isn't just me then!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That’s interesting. I’ve been told by a few very competent anglers that Berkeley Big Game mono is an excellent line for pike fishing.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It sems to me that what one person likes another dislikes and if you have a wrong word to say about something someone likes they often take it personal and defend it, sometimes with venom in their words lol.

I can remember a good m8 of mine swore by maver dual band and insisted I should get some. Anyhow I got some and I thought it was awful stuff for varous reasons. I lent my reelto another good m8 and he took an instant dislike to it. My m8 who liked it seemed to be hurt when we said we thought the line was shyte.
So I think opinions on various monos is down to the individual user , as the old saying goes "one mans meat is another mans poison".

john step

Reaction score
Anything free celotaped on the front of a magazine.

nottskev

Reaction score
When I moved to the area I asked a bloke in the tackle shop - he caught hundreds of barbel each season, they told me - what line he used. Berkeley Trilene, 10lb. On the reel, and as hooklength? Yes. I bought some. My first two barbel bites, the rig came back with no hook and several inches of line missing. I hadn't even picked the rod up. As has been said, some lines and some people just don't mix.

thecrow

Reaction score
That’s interesting. I’ve been told by a few very competent anglers that Berkeley Big Game mono is an excellent line for pike fishing.

I used it for years having it sent here from the states by my sons friend had no problems with it. Oops just seen skips last post on it, soz :)

Last edited:
B

binka

I don't really think I've used a line which I would class as terrible (Sensor and jest aside), I'm sure I must have at some point though.

Did Woolies use to do line under their Winfield brand?

If so then i'm sure it would rank up there as some of the worst if their 'easy chip' floats were anything to go by, you had to wade through the packs on the rack to find one that didn't have most of the tip colour sitting at the bottom of the packet in flakes :eek:mg:

I still loved going in there as a kid though and looking through everything.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I remember clearly my very first fishing trip, age 13, venue, Hampton Court Longwater. My mum bought me a rod from Woolworths. I didn’t catch a thing (the first of many blanks over the decades) and didn’t go fishing again for about four years.

Philip

Reaction score
I was given a spool of 12lb Gardner Synergy by fishing magic in the dim and distant past. Now I dont want to appear ungrateful but it was the most unreliable line I have ever used bar none. I used it as a hooklink and I recall losing 3 Carp in quick succsession one morning on the river and each time the hooklink came back snapped in the middle.

Can only think I got a duff spool but it put me off forever !

My mum bought me a rod from Woolworths

If it was the 6 foot black fibre glass one that came in a blister pack with a truly awful reel and a few bits of tackle then I still have one of those in the shed....quite fond of it now.

peterjg

Reaction score
I wanted bulk spools of some clear line in 3lb and 6lb. I bought some "Fladen" line (very cheap but very nasty!) it soon ended up in the bin.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I rather like JRC Connection SIC line and Gardner Pro either light or dark blend. Both have very accurate diameters and about right for their b/s. Sufix Excelon is also very good. Fox Soft Steel Camo is also a good line, but thicker than others so I uprate it from it's 12lbs to 15lbs, which is where it should be, albeit it has been replaced now.
In lighter strengths I've got all sorts including some Shimano, Cralusso, Preston, and even Ultima, no problems with any of them! Krystonite is pretty good too.
I tend to go for duller matt lines and avoid shiny ones, just me, maybe. It's been a long time since I bought some cr@p, but it is still out there and agree, no to Berkley, even Big Game.