Has the heat wave interrupted your fishing?

B

binka

I would have to say yes, it has.

I've been enjoying the weather in general but it's been far too hot for fishing which is something I never thought I'd hear myself say, especially during a fortnight's holiday from work, but where I'd usually be on the river looking for a few Barbel I've left them alone throughout all but the very beginning of the heat wave and the resulting low oxygen levels.

That's not to cause any disagreement with those who haven't abstained but it just felt like the right thing to do for me and I'm assuming that DOL's can very throughout individual stretches of river such as close proximity to weirs, rocky and broken stretches of water surface etc. and I'm in no way condemning it.

It has in turn though left me feeling a bit lethargic about the whole thing, just having the odd session here and there whilst trying to be enthusiastic about things.

Have you been out as usual or have you pegged things back during the heat?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't begin my coarse fishing until later in the year but I have been out a few times to my local trout lakes but only in the early evening when it is a lot cooler.

lambert1

Reaction score
Much the same as you Steve. The rivers are very low and methods that have produced in the past for me have failed miserably. I do not like it when it is too hot and suffer from Rosacea which is much worse when the weather is really hot. I am hoping that the downpour we might get (hopefully on Friday) will up the levels (and interest from the fish hopefully) and I will give it another go on Saturday. I have ignored maggots apart from the opening day as it is a nightmare keeping them fresh imho. I do not have access to a fridge and the things that normally work like a bucket of cold water and ice blocks are of little use when it is this hot. I am fussy with maggots though to be honest. I had a session with bread and even that did not produce what I would normally expect.

rayner

Reaction score
The hot weather gets to me, I hadn't been since it started. Then Tuesday this week I fished Kiveton Waters, I was ready to fish all day. It was cool in the morning with the wind blowing, when it died down at 2pm I had to call it. It suddenly became too warm for me.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's definately slowed my fishing down Ste, but not as much as the weather slowed it down last year. The conditons from last year to this year are a bit like chalk and cheese really!
Once the rain does kick off I think fishing will be a complete waste of time for a spell as there'll be a hell of a lot of flotsome and jetsom coming down for a spell.

rich66

Reaction score
Not too much, definitely it was hard to find the feeding fish at my local. All the usual places where not having it. Works more interfering than the weather !
Hoping to get out this evening for a few hours

Keith M

Reaction score
I feel the same as Binka about fishing my local streams in this heatwave.

I’ve had a couple of evening sessions and caught quite a few Barbel and Chub each time I went, however with the water being so low and clear, and with the barbel being huddled together in certain swims which have the occasional deeper hole and some surface cover in them or some broken water nearbye, and with the water holding a lot less oxygen in this heat; it just seems wrong to me so I have curtailed my visits until conditions change a bit and the streams have had a flush through with a little rain.

I’ve been doing a little Tenching and Carping in the evenings and early mornings instead.

Keith

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
The club water I fish has pumps on it to aerate the water, even so the Tench I caught the other day did not fight as well, low DOL I'm not sure.

I can only fish early mornings when its hot, as soon as the sun hits me that's it time to pack up, i hate hot weather.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m into my fourth year back fishing again, can’t believe I’ve only just discovered the joys of a paddle in the sea just minutes from my home and armed with a lure rod a few bass being caught.

Far more enjoyable during this hot spell than fishing the local lakes and rivers.

mikench

Reaction score
I have been out quite a few times but only to waters with shade! I like the sun and heat but not sitting in it for hours on end ! I like these features when next to water but it has to be blue with a nice tiled floor or called the Med!

bracket

Reaction score
Not stopped me Steve. I've had five sessions on the Stour. Plenty of small dace, roach and chublets on stick float. Nice to catch but nothing to brag about. I'm out tomorrow on my local clubs lakes. One lake is exclusive tench and crucians but has a large head of roach and rudd. The club has relaxed the keepnet ban and asked members to transfer roach and rudd into the adjacent silver fish lake. So I will be there with my 6m whip to oblige (if I can get through the crucians). Pete

wetthrough

Reaction score
It hasn't stopped me from fishing it's just limited my choice of where I'll be comfortable fishing.

Reaction score
Very much,I don't enjoy roasting,with the fish not liking unbroken sunshine too,there is no real point in going out imo,if it's your bag great.

spoonminnow

Reaction score
A few years ago a friend taught me how to beat the heat and fish for as long as I want.
1. Columbia and other clothes makers have shirt and pants that keep one cool and dry by reflecting sunlight. Fishing hats that have a broad long brim and neck protector do the same and keep the head much cooler. I wear sandals - cooler than wearing shoes.

Hydration is a must and drinks with electrolytes do well even if they taste like ****. Usually water from my small cooler is just right. Sunstroke is serious business!

Last week the air temperature was 92, water temperature 87 - caught fish all day long and more so after 4 pm. Good thing they're cold blooded!

sagalout

Reaction score
Mrs Lout and the unfinished kitchen has had more affect than the weather :(

I have not been to the river (very low, less than 7" at Ross now) and the club has suggested best not to fish it. I have been going to still waters in the Forest of Dean but choosing shady swims. The fishing has been brilliant with the margins producing from first light until I pack up at about 1100 hours.

B

binka

I've heard on the grapevine that a part of the Trent system has recently been closed to anglers due to low water and dissolved oxygen levels, that's in addition to the lake I intended to fish yesterday also being closed due to lack of water.

When we do get some rain I think the biggest problem will be the quick run off due to the ground being so hard, it's going to take some considerable and prolonged rainfall before things return to normal imo.

flightliner

Reaction score
I've been with only one occasion changing tack, a day that was so hot that I took a lure rod and tried for a perch or two.
I must have been touched by the sun to even think of it.
Maybe it was just to say I had been fishing it being the much easier option than carrying all my kit to some far off swim.
Since then I became more rational and found a location with plenty of shade.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Haven't been for various reasons, but as I have two tree clad deep waters at my disposal, where only 20% of the surface sees the sun I might, just might, manage to get to one on Tuesday. Not to say I will catch anything but at least I can say I went fishing! Its been a while........

Hopefully, mid week will mean it is fairly quiet..