It's here and it's heavy!

rayner

Reaction score
No rain as yet, when it does rain a constant drizzle would be better than a deluge.
If it buckets down we risk floods.

B

binka

Barely more than drizzle for a couple of hours here in the east midlands, it don't half make the scorched grass look even worse against drizzle darkened roads and pavements.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
We got so little last night that it has not made much of a difference.

The sky is very cloudy now though but the forecast is 24ºC right now and no chance of any more rain . . . .

That probably means we are in for a monsoon within the hour

iain t

Reaction score
What is this thing you are all calling rain?. Can't seem to recall it. Its been clear skies for a good few weeks now.

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
What is this thing you are all calling rain?. Can't seem to recall it. Its been clear skies for a good few weeks now.

We last had rain on the 4th June in Derbyshire, then low and behold when I left for work at 2:30 am today it was raining, the smell of the damp earth was wonderful, only lasted an hour or so though.

mikench

Reaction score
It was raining at 6.00am this morning and had been for an hour or so I reckon and most welcome it was too! I persuaded Gordon( Wetthrough ) of the merits in general of a local club and day ticket water and large tench in particular! See the hdygo thread for more details! It rained all morning only stopping around 2.00pm! It was a nice drizzle which will have worked wonders on the parched earth. As I type it looks dark and foreboding so more rain is on the way!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
We had a touch of the 'dark and foreboding' last evening, and I even said to my wife (as a fisherman, in touch with all things wild, he said) that I could 'smell' the rain as the atmosphere changed around 6pm. "Give it an hour and we should have plenty" he said convincingly..............................Fast forward, and we were still waiting at 11.30pm as we turned in.

I could see the 'you and your big ideas' look on my wife's face, but she spared my blushes and said nowt..

Obviously loosing my touch!

ps As for this morning; The day has dawned bright and sunny and looks to be another scorcher on the way. Over 31 degrees tomorrow, so they say, for this end of the country. Groan.....

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Low water levels and warm weather, its good moment to get the polariods and do a bit of fish spotting.

Search out all those whoppers and dream of how to catch them !

B

binka

We barely had enough to cover the bottom of a small thimble yesterday and that was the first I've seen in weeks.

The outlook is showing some wet stuff by the end of next week but it's done that before and then changed to a dry forecast nearer the time.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I went out on a walk yesterday, which took me through Hambleden village (just outside Henley on Thames) and was very surprised to see the (chalk stream) Hambleden/Hamble Brook running at full flow. Always a hit and miss affair (can remain dry for a year or more) as it is fed by groundwater in the underlying chalk, and with this current dry spell I expected it to remain dry this year, but there it was, just racing along!
I walked a fair length of it and noticed some the adjacent grasslands were a really bright green, but not over its whole length, which means either the main stream leaches into these areas or separate underground streams feed them? The grass in these areas was in fine fettle, a situation not missed by the cows who roam the field!

Such a pity the water flow is not constant as it would make a very pretty trout stream and I could well see the likes of Sherringham, who loved his small stream fishing, making hay along its length......

Give it a few weeks and it will be dry again, I expect.....................................

As for rain; Don't ask!!!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It started raining heavy during the early hours today then it stopped and the sun broke throough for a spell but then the clouds regained control and is persisting down heavily as I post this. The sky still looks full of rain as far as the eye can see so fingers crossed we get enough to make a difference to the flora and fauna.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Bucketing it down here in Cheshire as I write. Hopefully it won't be quite so when I'm fishing tomorrow.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Still no rain for weeks here, lovely brown grass that doesn't need mowing, the bananas are almost ripe and nothing wet forecast for the foreseeable future.................

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Still no rain for weeks here, lovely brown grass that doesn't need mowing, the bananas are almost ripe and nothing wet forecast for the foreseeable future.................

Lol, that brown grass is great in'it, sort of a brown astro turf :).

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Apparently, some minor rain possible over the next few days but nothing significant, if at all....

The Beeb did say this evening that the promised rain for Friday (in the south east) probably won't happen now, which is a bit of a downer so we will go into another week, with ziltch on the horizon...Grrrrrrrr

ps I'm assuming the grass is unlikely to recover to any form of green colour this season, even if we have considerable rain soon??

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Just had a lovely good soaking in Lincolnshire. (Monday 9 Pm. 16.7.18)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Nothing here SE, not for another week as well according to the long range, been very hot as well. I put all my fruit and veg in pots this year in the yard so I didn't have to bend down and watering them has been easier. The fruit trees seem to be bearing up well but its clay a foot down which retains moisture but little fruit on them, abundant raspberries and black berries though.
I just read butterflies are doing well but their caterpillars are not surviving, the plants they feed on are dying so next year could be few about.
I have kept two bird baths filled up, they are loving that, two wood pigeons just sitting in it the other day like a couple of dumb plucks. Snails and slugs have been absent for weeks, hope they starve to death.

Last edited: